gossjh

1913 model 32 touring Virus sale

This 1913/14 Hupmobile model 32 touring runs, drives, stops. It is an old restoration that is no where near show quality, but should make a dependable driver for brass era or nickel car tours. We drove this car around Hershey the whole week and had a blast with it. We even drove it in the evenings using the gas and kerosine lamps. Asking $15,000. Located in Indiana. Cell 765-427-7078

3B539042-0AC0-4F85-ABE5-657C3951225F.jpeg

Edited by gossjh
price reduction (see edit history)

Nice car. Why do you describe it as a 1913 / 1914 year car? Do the numbers match the title / frame/ dash plate? Is the engine original? I must say that the steering wheel on the right side would attract a lot of interest at a car show. When did Hupmobile change over to the left side?

Posted (edited)

I took this car in trade and am by no means a Hupmobile expert. But here is what I know. The title reads 1913. The numbers appear to follow 1914 as follows engine 40541, Dash 44448, rear outside frame rail H44448. Here is what I surmise. Early hobbies wanted an earlier car and someways cheated reality, so possibly the one year earlier is from this, but maybe the records are not January to January, so while Hupmobile club says the numbers are for 1914, maybe build date Was earlier and registration followed the Sell date pre 1914. As for the rear ident plate. These were steel and exposed to rear damage. This one looks pretty good and has the H in front. Does that mean it is a replacement in it’s past ???. I often just call it a 1913 as people seem to less expect an electric starter in 13, but do in 1914. It was an option, so I believe is okay either way. This car does not have the electric system, but does have a couple of indications of parts being there to accommodate one. It has an electric wire and horn button at the steering column. It has a plug in the body where the wires from the left running board battery box would have been. It has a blanked off battery box under the drivers seat. It runs gas head lights via a Prestolite tank and kerosene cowl and rear lights. I did not know about the steering wheel, so I looked up and found a short run 1915 K model that still appeared to be right hand , while the next model, also starting in 1915 appears to be left drive, this being judged by some images that I found. I have some literature somewhere abouts that likely would tell better about the changes. The time I have invested in this car has been things like cleaning out the gas tank, properly timing, and putting back the choke cable system that rotates a rotating cylinder on the carburetor. It is actually a good quality designed car that needs someone to give it a proper going over. I have it dependably running for some enjoyment using as is.

Edited by gossjh
Wrong side (see edit history)