future collectable ?

cheezestaak2000

I watched a documentary on Netflix about this old woman in the UK who collected hair clippings (really) for decades. She had giant garbage bags full of the stuff.

Knowing this, I suppose there is hope for the Dodge Magnum.

Every car ever made is collectible to someone. I like the design but I have had enough experience with modern Mopar that I wouldn't buy one. 

I do have a copy of the Revell kit I will get to someday...when I find it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is the younger generation buying the muscle cars of today or is it mainly gray haired retirees. If the younger generation are not buying  the muscle cars of today then a vast majority are destined for the junk yard.  Just a thought.  What age group are buying the new Camaro and Mustangs today? 

If new car manufactures can not get younger adults to buy new Camaro's and Mustangs what hope is there for the hobby.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

When I was a member of the "younger generation" I noticed that, by coincidence, older people also had an interest in cars. When they tried to impose there tastes and values on me I disassociated myself from that group. The new younger generation will see the same thing I did and leave the current mavins wondering where their hobby went.

At Thanksgiving my nephews and I had a great time talking about the cars they like. I only recall talking about the newer ones I own. Those old guys I met in the 1960's only taught me not to be like them when I grew up. And I have consciously tried not to.

Bernie

On 12/13/2019 at 7:49 PM, Joe in Canada said:

Is the younger generation buying the muscle cars of today or is it mainly gray haired retirees. If the younger generation are not buying  the muscle cars of today then a vast majority are destined for the junk yard.  Just a thought.  What age group are buying the new Camaro and Mustangs today? 

If new car manufactures can not get younger adults to buy new Camaro's and Mustangs what hope is there for the hobby.

From what I see, yes, the younger generation is buying these cars.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:49 PM, Joe in Canada said:

Is the younger generation buying the muscle cars of today or is it mainly gray haired retirees.

What age group are buying the new Camaro and Mustangs today? 

Just an informal survey of known owners of current Camaro, Mustangs and Challengers in this area finds they are almost without exception gray-haired retirees.  Widening the notice of who is seen driving those cars returns the same results.  Its a dying demographic, the companies are now trying to figure out whether a follow-up model is worth the investment.  Younger people are buying diesel 4x4 extended cab pick up trucks, that's their hot vehicles now. 

• Like 1

The new generation likes muscle cars just with a four link frame, rack and pinion, 4 wheel disks, a LS, and a Tremec or 4L65E. Diesels are ded but twin turbos are in.

Once every car line and model had a 2 door coupe (4 doors were more expensive). Today it is hard to find a two door (the luxury sports coupe (Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Riviera, Eldorado)  is gone).

9 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Its a dying demographic, the companies are now trying to figure out whether a follow-up model is worth the investment.

Auto manufactures spend millions on advertising their wears and are having a difficult time getting the young folk behind the wheel of a go fast car. If the car companies are having a difficult time with this issue what chance do car clubs have attracting the younger generation. Go back and look at old attendants pictures of the Hershey  swap meet from the 70s and what do you see? The same people are there today.. 

On 12/13/2019 at 5:30 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Far too many REAL collectables to bother wondering. Bob 

This is the exact type of comment by anyone who says "it's just a used car".  You're turning people away before they even get a chance to be a part of this club.

Every person has an idea of what they like and what they don't.  In 2033, a 2007 Magnum will be eligible to compete at AACA events.  Have you seen that other people enter Vegas, Pintos and other "non-collectible" cars in these same shows?  Do you walk up to them and tell them it's not a real collectible?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnniesSS said:

This is the exact type of comment by anyone who says "it's just a used car".  You're turning people away before they even get a chance to be a part of this club.

Every person has an idea of what they like and what they don't.  In 2033, a 2007 Magnum will be eligible to compete at AACA events.  Have you seen that other people enter Vegas, Pintos and other "non-collectible" cars in these same shows?  Do you walk up to them and tell them it's not a real collectible?

Did I misread the OP's question? He asked ME what I THOUGHT, I have NO desire to gamble on future used cars values when there are garages full of collectables with a proven track record. I spend my money on what I like and let the Walmart lot worry about their future.  Merry Christmas. Bob 

• Haha 1

I think they will be collectible (especially the SRT’s), but not valuable due to the relatively high production numbers (compared the the valuable Mopars from the 60’s and 70’s).  There were around 3300 SRT’s made out of over 150,000 total.  Also 5.7 HEMI engine cars will likely be more desirable than the 3.5 (or, cough, the pitiful 2.7) V6 cars.

Sort of the same way that C4 ZR-1 Corvettes are collectible, but not valuable due to them being so easy to find.

Many folks feel cars that aren’t valuable are therefore not collectible, but I think any car that attracts a buyer that is older than, say, 25 years is collectible in its own way—whether it’s $5000 or $500,000.

2 hours ago, ted sweet said:

with that attitude the aaca wont be around in their future. i have received less than favorable comments at hershey while showing early 1990s cars , no way to know if these comments came from aaca members.

Not from me, I never get within ear shot of those classes. I miss the AACA of 1969 when I first went to Hershey, slowly watched you people take over things. Merry Christmas. Bob 

On 12/13/2019 at 3:31 PM, padgett said:

Wagon is best looking, too bad it has too many doors.

Funny, I thought it had 5 doors, the right number to put people and stuff inside it!😁

Looks like the car manufacturers are finally agreeing with me! Heck, it is even hard to find a 2 door pick up truck anymore!🙄

25 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'm happy with the original definition of Antique,

You mean:

"a collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age."

So in the world of cars, 25 years is an earlier period....

Sounds good, now we have to debate "considerable age".😁 In Europe I've heard an antique is something 200 years old. How's that work for you?

But upon checking the Oxford dictionary, I see: "something made in an earlier period and valued because it is old, rare, or of high quality:"

So in the world of cars, 25 years is an earlier period....😉

No!

But guilt by association of having  lived within 100 miles of there most of my life.....  At least there is a good zoo and museums there to visit. But no way I'm driving in that traffic to get to work.....😁

And on the good side, there are several AACA regions in the area.😉

On 12/15/2019 at 11:39 PM, Frank DuVal said:

You mean:

"a collectible object such as a piece of furniture or work of art that has a high value because of its considerable age."

So in the world of cars, 25 years is an earlier period....

Sounds good, now we have to debate "considerable age".😁 In Europe I've heard an antique is something 200 years old. How's that work for you?

But upon checking the Oxford dictionary, I see: "something made in an earlier period and valued because it is old, rare, or of high quality:"

So in the world of cars, 25 years is an earlier period....😉

Have you ever looked at the list of original AACA members and their cars? Several of the founding autos were NOT 25 years old at the time. But the difference in 25 year old cars then and 25 year old cars today is huge. I like the oxford definition you posted, but might add "quaintness or nostalgia". Soon cars that can't drive themselves will be antiques!

I believe this would lump those around 90 years old:

" “We defy anyone who goes about with his eyes open to deny that there is, as never before, an attitude on the part of young folk which is best described as grossly thoughtless, rude, and utterly selfish.”
The Conduct of Young People, Hull Daily Mail, 1925 "

In the same manner as the tastes of the younger generation mentioned above.