Welcome your advise . 32 Buick Bumper.

CTCV

The bumper on our project looks to be original and surprisingly straight. It is however pitted but not rotted. 

If the bumpers value is high after chroming and it adds extra value to the project I will make the investment. If not I will fill the pitting and paint to match.

So I guess I need to know the value of this bumper chromed properly. Any ideas?

Tony

20191213_092514.jpg

I would say $500 or more after replating. The middle bar should be painted black, not chromed.

If the rest of the car is unrestored, I would not replate the bumpers. It depends on what you are trying to achieve with the car.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1932 model 56-S

1932 model 57

1932 model 57-S

and other Buicks...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how much value it adds.  My guess is more than 500 to plate because of the concave to it which is harder to polish so more labor.  How much more,  no idea.  Maybe just another 200. It all depends on who does it. 

Though hard to pinpoint a value added,   I have always looked at projects with painted bumpers as the guy cheaped out on that,  so what else was neglected or done hap hazardly.  It often seems the chrome and the interior are the last things to get done right (cosmetically)  Probably because cost.  Most guys can paint good enough to make an old car look decent but they have to spend money on the other steps. 

The last few "simple" flat bar bumpers I have seen done were over $1,000 to nickel plate let alone the extra step for chrome (Lebrandis). That is why I had mine powder coated for the 1925 Standard. And put the money into having a better shell plated.

DSCF7573.thumb.JPG.1b1b583f3a175b69548d63f74f81aea3.JPG

I believe the final outcome for your project was to be the refitted service truck as done in the 1940s. I vote for powder coat for a few $100.

Until I can find a better correct shell for my 1925 Master I did an "Oakie Chrome" finish on the fairly nice 1926-1927 shell.

DSCF7885.thumb.JPG.3ba2e25a05237a8cbaec187b78ac7b51.JPG      DSCF7955.thumb.JPG.67c12d4fd0ba15ccccc4cc3a44df7bc6.JPG 

Before                                                                                                  After.

I thought all I would need to do was to re sand the silver paint already on the shell and repaint. There were a few small holes on the bottom face. I spent way... too... much time on prepping and painting it. I am still waiting for the re cored radiator to come back.

• Like 1

Ok, I think I get the picture. 

When we started this I knew our car will never be worth restoring because it was too far gone. So I figured parts that can help someone else to complete a true restoration would be offered up and maybe their part if in worse shape we would use on ours. But it seems the bumper cores do not have any major value so the plating is the value. I think I'll just fill it and paint it since our car will never be original. After all we are just trying to preserve what we have and not looking for trophies. Thanks for the input.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The back side of the plated bumper to be correct, should be painted black as well as the brackets.  Many show cars do not have the backs painted black, but for the most part, judges don't know what is correct.  

From my previous conversations with you on your car, I don't think chrome plating will add much to the appearance or value.  

Bon Engle

• Like 1