MrEarl

36/38 wheel interchange question

So the center wheel bore on my 54’s and the ‘38 measure to be 3 7/16”. I would assume that would be same for a  ‘36 80 but not wanting to take a chance, can someone please verify that for me. 

• Like 1

Measure the center hole of the wheels first and Good Luck.  If the hole is large enough and you're still having trouble maybe even put them on backwards just to load it. I'm sure one way or another you'll succeed.

Wow! You certainly have your work cut out for you, but not near as much as whoever would attempt to resurrect that.  People may well chastise me, but it doesn't even look like it's worth much for parts unless you have better luck selling 1936 parts than I had selling 1937 parts.

2 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

Measure the center hole of the wheels first and Good Luck.  If the hole is large enough and you're still having trouble maybe even put them on backwards just to load it. I'm sure one way or another you'll succeed.

Wow! You certainly have your work cut out for you, but not near as much as whoever would attempt to resurrect that.  People may well chastise me, but it doesn't even look like it's worth much for parts unless you have better luck selling 1936 parts than I had selling 1937 parts.

I think I’ll be good if the center hole of the ‘36 80 is 3 7/16”, just would like to know fore I get there. 
This is going to be strictly a preservation project, ie clean out all the rat and cat poop, maybe gently wash it so as not to remove the wonderful patina then proudly display it in front of the Buick Sales and Service Garage. 
And people will probably chastise me for NOT dismantling it and selling parts😬😁

• Like 1

Earl,   The 36-80 series wheels have a hub bore (front - rear probably the same) is 3.750 .    Same as the 36-60 series and the 36-90 series has a 4.500” hub bore.    This is per my 36 series service manual,  page 90,  on ‘wheels and tires’.     Having any fun yet ? ? ......

On 1/28/2020 at 8:35 PM, Jim Nelson said:

Having any fun yet ? ? ...

was until you spoiled my hopes that my ‘54 rims would fit. not gonna be much fun cutting bigger holes in them. Thanks buddy 😆. 😬😢

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Sad 1

I am thinking that a set of wheel dollies might work if you can't find the right wheels. If you buy a set from Harbor Freight Tools, if any of the wheel casters don't survive the trip, they will exchange the broken ones for new ones with no questions asked. I had a friend who had one wheel break off of one wheel dolly and Harbor Freight Tools insisted on exchanging the complete set of two wheel dollies instead of just the one that he was expecting to exchange. 

• Like 1

I’ve used a wheel dolly before on a crippled 20’s Buick with 3 wheels, worked great and may be an option here. My one concern would be needing the tires to give me clearance of the running board over the trailer fenders. These 80 series Buicks are WIDE.  I’m already raising the trailer deck with some 2x’s to overcome this. I’ll be carrying some dollies anyhow in case needed due to wheels being locked up. Thanks for the suggestion though. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 9:35 AM, Jim Nelson said:

Earl,   The 36-80 series wheels have a hub bore (front - rear probably the same) is 3.750 .    Same as the 36-60 series and the 36-90 series has a 4.500” hub bore.    This is per my 36 series service manual,  page 90,  on ‘wheels and tires’.     Having any fun yet ? ? ......

1936 shop manual as per Jim's post.

Brake drum is 1936 Century ( Series 60 )

Wheel is 1936 Century ( Series 60 )

Actual measurement seems to contradict the shop manual!

Now you really are having fun, can't wait for the next instalment.

AND DON'T BREAK THAT FRONT GRILL WHEN LOADING.  

img-200130170544-001 (2).jpg

101_8336.JPG

101_8337.JPG

101_8338.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 50jetback said:

Actual measurement seems to contradict the shop manual!

and in the wrong direction at that, I was hoping your pictures were depicting 3 3/16  but nooo, just the other direction. If I’m going to cut up some decent wheels I’ll cut them just inside the lug nut holes. I better ask , is there any reason I should have to cut out for  the rears?  

Thanks Stuart!  and you can bet I’ll be careful with the grill! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrEarl said:

better ask , is there any reason I should have to cut out for  the rears?  

No - but of course the wheels won't bolt up tight against the brake drum and will have a gap the width of the axle flange ( less than 1/2" ).

So when is the big move?

898634227_img-200127172205-001(2).thumb.jpg.567e964f9362df87f7a5e55bbbd77b11.jpg

101_8341.JPG

101_8342.JPG

101_8345.JPG

101_8346.JPG

Copy that Stuart. Thanks. 
Some real perty rims and tires there 

3 hours ago, 50jetback said:

So when is the big move?

watchin the weather. 

• Like 1

Dumb question but it won’t be my first or last.  How do you know this is an 80 Series?

Bcause it looks longer and wider than a small series but definitely not a limo I guess. 😁 I’m just cutting the  center hole to practically the inner radius of the bolt hole. for play sake 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 50jetback said:
On 1/30/2020 at 7:01 AM, MrEarl said:

No - but of course the wheels won't bolt up tight against the brake drum and will have a gap the width of the axle flange ( less than 1/2" ).

So when is the big move?

Depending on how well and easily the first two cut and the rims are in non restorable shape I may just cut all all 4 . Will see

not sure when yet. I pulled 7 rims with tires off ‘54 parts cars yesterday. One popped at 25 lbs, the other 6 held 32. Will be checking again this morning, hopefully at least 4 still have 25-30. Will see

5309A307-8193-40D3-9A6F-C30C5845004A.thumb.jpeg.a123353bfbf73c63086223796111e728.jpeg

591E4D81-B706-409B-978A-FB6B46A2777B.thumb.jpeg.d9f12dd3ce7010deba2c484fbcc2136d.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I pulled 7 rims with tires off ‘54 parts cars yesterday. One popped at 25 lbs, the other 6 held 32. Will be checking again this morning, hopefully at least 4 still have 25-30. Will see

after 12 hours  one at 22, the rest held at between 28-32. Looks like I can take my pick for the needed 4. 

• Like 1

Hope it works for you otherwise you might smack me upside the head next we meet.  :)

*Will probably delete this post later, but*
This is probably the most instructive thread I’ve read on this forum yet. Really demonstrates the value of this forum and MrEarl’s wisdom in asking the question. Because I’ve read the whole thing as it unfolded knowing full well that I:

1) Never would have asked the seemingly simple question.

2) Would’ve headed up there with 4 tubes (maybe 2 extra just to be safe).

In other words - I would’ve ended up ska-rood. Probably holed up in a hotel room for a few days trying to think myself out of this one....
🙂

Good luck!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ben P. said:

*Will probably delete this post later, but*
This is probably the most instructive thread I’ve read on this forum yet. Really demonstrates the value of this forum and MrEarl’s wisdom in asking the question. Because I’ve read the whole thing as it unfolded knowing full well that I:

1) Never would have asked the seemingly simple question.

2) Would’ve headed up there with 4 tubes (maybe 2 extra just to be safe).

In other words - I would’ve ended up ska-rood. Probably holed up in a hotel room for a few days trying to think myself out of this one....
🙂

Good luck!

The old 7 P's  - Prior Preparation & Planning Prevent Piss Poor Performance!!

Yes, good luck Mr Earl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

not easy or safe cutting a circle with a 4 1/2” grinder so 5 tangents on 5.5 = a pentagon  🤪  With plenty of wiggle woom 

7F996BBD-A746-4C79-AA80-5915DC282E54.thumb.jpeg.6ae99b202f66ec54e839c18ed9b6d027.jpeg

C4D675E7-5CAA-4D70-B417-9B7F86355F57.thumb.jpeg.5ca79664e5baa95a2c4ca5da30a8ad2f.jpeg

Five tires holding steady, 3 cut to fit over front hub. 

• Like 1

Wow!  Sorry to see you had to cut away so much metal. Definitely more  than I expected. 

No problem, could have taken less if I'd used a torch but the rims are history now anyway so doesn't matter.  Looking like maybe next week for the trip up.

• Like 1