70 Riv Exhaust Replacement

CanadianWildcat

I have been looking around for some new replacement exhaust for my 1970 Riv. What is currently installed is in decent condition... but it looks to be just aluminized and small. Tailpipes appear to be 2" and the two mufflers are located under the floor where the front seats would be. I also was hoping to find something that sounded a little more aggressive than it does now... its really quite. I don't want headers and I don't want it really loud. I was thinking 2 1/2" max. I found some systems made by TA Performance and Waldron Exhaust. Does anyone know much about these systems? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

I picked up an exhaust from TA. It's 2.5" and looks to be very well made. I have not installed it yet as doing it on jack stands was proving to be a pain in the ass to get everything positioned right. So I gave up for now and since I will have to pull out my newly built 455 due to an oil leak I ended up breaking down and got a set of TA headers. Once I can get those test fitted to make sure they do not need a little massaging anywhere when installed in the engine bay, the plan was to get them Jet Hot coated. Once all of this is squared away the plan was then to have a qualified exhaust shop make the exhaust fit like a glove as I do not think I will be able to accomplish this on stands. So at the end of the day I should be back up and running in 8-10 years by the way this all sounds to me. That was a joke hopefully! It seems like a nice system though and I do not think you can go wrong getting one. If you are working with a motor that is not all hopped up it would probably be better to go with a 2.25" system, Cost and fitment would be my 2 main reasons for saying that. Just my $.02, good luck!

• Like 2

Simply buying new base grade mufflers will make a stock system louder because the quality is so much less than original equipment.

Will save you a bunch of cash if you just wanted it a bit louder.

Deleting resonators makes it even noisier.

TA and Waldron seem to be the best. I have TA 2.5 inch exhaust and TA shorty headers on my ‘69 with good effect. Plenty aggressive and loud enough for me. I think 3 inch would get old real quick on a long road trip. Build quality is terrific. But no room for the H-pipe if you want it tucked up tight.

54C0CC95-B1D7-45B8-A1D6-296EADD53E84.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey I appreciate any and all responses. Better to ask those who have done it themselves so I don't have to learn the hard way. Ya I agree that 3" won't be the way to go... probably end up with a drone. I actually kind of want it to sound like my wildcat... nice and quite but a real cool sound when idling. What mufflers did you use with the TA exhaust system?

2 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

When I had my 69 which is basically the same system, I eliminated the resonators and got the mellow sound I was looking for.  I didn't want an obnoxious sound and this worked out perfectly.

I did the same with my 63 and got the same results Pat is talking about.

Bill

3 hours ago, CanadianWildcat said:

Hey I appreciate any and all responses. Better to ask those who have done it themselves so I don't have to learn the hard way. Ya I agree that 3" won't be the way to go... probably end up with a drone. I actually kind of want it to sound like my wildcat... nice and quite but a real cool sound when idling. What mufflers did you use with the TA exhaust system?

I do not know the part # off hand but T/A recommends a Dynomax muffler that pairs well with their system. I just went with those. Give them a call, they are great to work with! 

• Like 1

Here is a link to 21st Century Exhaust: https://www.fulllineexhaust.com/history.php

The tech team is really good and know what making a car sound like a Chris Craft idling means. I bought a pair of the early Hushpower mufflers for my modified '64 exhaust. The sound was prefect, rumble-no drone.

The mufflers use laminated plates as sound deadeners.

I put mine on just after the turn of the century and will probably install the NOS system this summer. I want it all the way quiet again.

Tailpipe size is everything. 2" is fine, going larger just makes them annoying. I had a Flowmaster American Thunder system with 3" tailpipes on an IROC Camaro, boy! did they pick the right name for that one!

I agree about the increased sound from newer mufflers. My '86 convertible is one I want to be quiet. I tried two new ones and ended up with an NOS unit.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, CanadianWildcat said:

I have been looking around for some new replacement exhaust for my 1970 Riv. What is currently installed is in decent condition... but it looks to be just aluminized and small. Tailpipes appear to be 2" and the two mufflers are located under the floor where the front seats would be. I also was hoping to find something that sounded a little more aggressive than it does now... its really quite. I don't want headers and I don't want it really loud. I was thinking 2 1/2" max. I found some systems made by TA Performance and Waldron Exhaust. Does anyone know much about these systems? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Please post pictures of whatever system you end up installing. I am interested in replacing my exhaust beyond the stock manifolds in my 68.

Here is my '64. Equalizer pipe where the muffler used to be and the Hushpower 2" laminated steel packs behind the rear wheel openings. Short straight BMW rolled exit extensions.

014.thumb.jpg.3ca9c8a086497b5e6c202c499657af93.jpg

Sounds real nice, but I did that in 2010. My tastes have changed and I will probably put the NOS system I have stashed on it this year.

a 006.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1