All 40,000 2020 Corvettes already sold....

Lebowski

9 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

For the same money you could have a Ford Crew Cab truck. Bob 

Yes, very similar in handling and performance I’m sure!  The truck is overpriced and the car is underpriced is one view that can be stated.  All depends how you see your future transportation needs.  The Corvette probably would not do well pulling your trailer to Hershey. 

• Like 1

I dunno...Seems like an attractive price for the Vette. There are at least 40,000 people who either:  

already have a new quad cab truck, or don’t want a new quad cab truck.  The Vette would be a fun drive, without a doubt. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

they were sold out a couple of months back. the technology for 58k is nothing short of amazing.

try and buy a ferrari or porsche for that.

It most certainly is.

The new Corvette base model is just a smidge slower than the previous generation ZR1.

That is nothing short of amazing.

If you have any interest in the new Corvette you should watch this video.

BTW - the head engineer mentions that the pre-production car they are driving will most likely be crushed once all of the testing and introductions are done.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

48 minutes ago, zepher said:

It most certainly is.

The new Corvette base model is just a smidge slower than the previous generation ZR1.

That is nothing short of amazing.

It's amazing but not sustainable. Chevy has already admitted that the 2021 cars will jump about $20K in price. The breakeven selling price is about $80K. This is a one-time good deal and that admission is why the 2020 production is sold out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

It's amazing but not sustainable. Chevy has already admitted that the 2021 cars will jump about $20K in price. The breakeven selling price is about $80K. This is a one-time good deal and that admission is why the 2020 production is sold out.

Even at $80k it will still outperform all but the $100k plus previous generation and it will run circles around foreign cars costing twice to three times as much.

That is still a bargain.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Does anybody ever actually own one of these? I`ve known quite a few so called Corvette "owners" that missed a couple payments and then they found out who really owns it.

If they missed a couple payments then NO they didn't own them. Same as any financed car with a delinquent buyer.

3 hours ago, WQ59B said:

Source?
Because 'Chevy originally planned to sell the car at $80K' certainly does not mean they originally planned not to make any money at $80K.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-chevy-corvette-c8-stingray-loses-money/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/source-chevrolet-corvette-c8-stingray-loss-leader/

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2020-chevy-corvette-stingray-price/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Does anybody ever actually own one of these? I`ve known quite a few so called Corvette "owners" that missed a couple payments and then they found out who really owns it.

I owned a 1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette L-82/4 speed.

Handled great but was rather anemic with the vacuum cleaner V8 that was smogged to death.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

I am impressed, both with the car and the price.  Dual-clutch Transmission.

I suppose one place they save money compared to a Ferrari is the engine. "High performance small block" according to the Leno video. Not all-aluminum dual overhead cam.

Engine is all aluminum, block and heads with a conventional push rod configuration.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/the-new-2020-corvette-lt2-engine-more-of-the-same-but-different/

3 hours ago, mike6024 said:

And no asbestos means they may actually be eligible for import to Australia.

Theyre factory rhd and being sold at Holden dealers - who have not had a performance car to compete with ford since they stopped making the commodore

Contrary to what most people think, a used late-model Corvette is by far the single best used car you can buy. Always owned by old guys who drive it like it's made of glass at 35 MPH to cruise-ins where they spend three hours wiping it with a diaper. Then they drive it home again at 35 MPH and tuck it in a heated garage under a cover, but only after wiping it off with a diaper again. If it's supposed to rain on Tuesday, they don't take it out on Monday, just in case. The same will be true of the C8.

There's always a frenzy to buy the first of any new Corvette, and this one is revolutionary. I remember when the also significant C5 debuted I was working for a Corvette tuner that was also the GM Corvette "Skunkwerks." We had an allotment of 10 new 1997 C5s. We had guys offering us $40,000 over sticker just to get one. Dealers did price gouge, but only because people were willing to be gouged--you can't raise the price if there aren't any buyers. But by 1998, the second year of production, you could buy one in any color you wanted at any dealer for sticker price. So this kind of early feeding frenzy is normal for Corvette sales and will quickly pass. If you can wait for the second year, you'll have your pick of the litter and save a ton of cash, and you'll likely get a better car, too.

There will also be myriad new C8 models coming out and I suspect that very few base models will be sold. With the C7, more than 70% of the cars were the upmarket GS/Z06/ZR1 models, and almost zero were sold without the 1LT, 2LT, or 3LT option packages (or all three), which were surprisingly expensive. I know GM has a new DOHC V8 in the works, an AWD hybrid Corvette with batteries and electric motors driving the front wheels, a convertible, plus the usual Z06 and ZR1 models, and probably several other variants we haven't even heard about yet. The base model will make up a tiny fraction of actual sales--even just the basic 3LT package adds like $12,000 to the price of the car and nobody buys a stripper Corvette to save a buck these days. It's all about resale value and "future investment" and nonsense like that, so everyone wants them loaded up anyway. Don't cry about the base model being a mirage--nobody buying Corvettes even cares.

I suspect GM will be just fine with the profit margins on a Corvette, and none of those poor, poor helpless Corvette buyers will be taken advantage of when it comes time to purchase. As others have pointed out, even at $100,000, this thing is still a screaming bargain. Worst criticism I've heard so far? "Car & Driver" says it's too quiet and comfortable, not like a Ferrari that's loud and uncomfortable. Really? That's the problem? It's too good? Bah.

Yeah, the Corvette will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

What's the median age of those purchasers?   I generally see only gray-haired men driving new Corvettes now.  

I guess there are Corvettes at Car Week in Monterey, but all the Foreign super cars are driven around by people under 40. Bob

• Like 1

Cool, but $58k, or less buys a decent 62 or earlier and actually a midyear.  Lower tax, ins. & no depreciation, or at least not what the 2020 buyer will see.  🤔

Bear in mind Matt's grey haired guy will likely see himself at the cars & coffee with 40,000 examples rolling about.  Should't vettes be driven by long haired 22 year old punks?  Mine was! 😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Bear in mind Matt's grey haired guy will likely see himself at the cars & coffee with 40,000 examples rolling about.  Should't vettes be driven by long haired 22 year old punks?  Mine was! 😁

I bought my '78 Silver Anniversary from a grey haired gentleman that had purchased it new for his much younger wife.

Car had 28k miles in 11 years because his wife preferred to drive a Mercedes he had also bought for her.

She didn't like driving the 'Vette because she would tend to break her nails when opening the door.

The door handle design was not good for anyone with long nails.

I was 23 when I bought my Corvette, so yeah, there were a few being driven by long haired young punks.  👍

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 11:08 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Cool, but $58k, or less buys a decent 62 or earlier and actually a midyear.  Lower tax, ins. & no depreciation, or at least not what the 2020 buyer will see.  🤔

Maybe valid points, but then you'd have a nearly 60 year old car that's significantly slower, handles horribly by comparison, is hot, loud and temperamental.  It you could have a comfortable car with model world class performance.  Different buyer markets.

At the Vette price point there are very few young haired punks running them.  But I think there are plenty of us who are still a ways off from grey.  Love to have a C8, but another toy isn't in the cards for Dad with three little ones in the house 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 6:30 PM, pont35cpe said:

Sure there are.  I took a note on mine, paid off early and owned it free and clear for a good while now.  02 Z06.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vette-kid said:

Maybe valid points, but then you'd have a nearly 60 year old car that's significantly slower, handles horribly by comparison, is hot, loud and temperamental.  It you could have a comfortable car with model world class performance.  Different buyer markets.

Agree on different markets.  But keeping a well sorted older Vette on the road should't present the challenges of some older cars. If you really want a C8 give it a year or two and let someone take the depreciation, or get that camaro, it has a back seat for the kiddies! 🙂

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

On 12/13/2019 at 12:08 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

But no warranty 

On 12/13/2019 at 12:08 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I have long believed that late-model performance cars that have a retro vibe and/or are instantly welcome all all car shows are wrecking a significant portion of our hobby. All these softies want the image and performance, but aren't willing to give up comfort. A late-model is the perfect solution and it seems that most of the public thinks that a car you can buy off the showroom floor is collectable and worthy of being at a car show. The OEMs have done more damage to the hobby with these "image" cars than any other single force. The new Corvette is kind of an exception, but I don't think a guy with $65,000 bucks to burn is cross-shopping. It's true that the early cars are a better "investment" (I can't believe I used that word), at least in the aspect that they're done depreciating and will hold their value. However, day-in and day-out, the guys who come in here with money who want a Corvette or a Mustang always give me the same tired, sad, estrogen-filled excuses: "My wife needs A/C." "My wife needs power steering." "My wife needs a good stereo." "My wife needs to be able to start and drive it." "My wife needs an automatic transmission." Man up and just admit you want that stuff for yourself and don't really have any interest in doing anything with old cars. You just want to show up and be an attention whore in the latest "thing."

All these Nancy boys throw their wives under the bus and blame her for all the things they want in an old car. I can usually smell it on them and aim them towards a newer Corvette/Mustang/Camaro/whatever. I made this expressly for those guys and it hangs in several places throughout our showroom:

698386481_Carbuyingflowchart.thumb.jpg.6fed268c31eba977aa7bd325baa54197.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

That flow chart is hard to read. One sent to bernie@berniedaily.com would be greatly appreciated.

In manners of motivation, philosophy,  and visual intuitiveness you really need a car salesman to keep things clear.

"Did you find my online ad typing with one hand?" Didn't sell the car, but was compelled to ask.

Bernie

15 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

That flow chart is hard to read. One sent to bernie@berniedaily.com would be greatly appreciated.

In manners of motivation, philosophy,  and visual intuitiveness you really need a car salesman to keep things clear.

"Did you find my online ad typing with one hand?" Didn't sell the car, but was compelled to ask.

Bernie

Yeah, the forum software compresses it so much it's hard to read. It's poster sized. I sent one to your E-mail.