Jamco 2” springs install (before and after pic), which shocks to pair with them?

anestech*

Along with the quick ratio steering box and front end rebuild kit, we did 2” Jamco springs.  They ride nice, and looks great.  Previous owner put new shocks on, but they are cheap OESpectrum brand and are far from impressive.  Bilsteins are up to over $600 a set now, which seems over kill for our use of this car as a cruiser/daily driver.  Jamco makes shocks for about $45 each, anyone have experience with those?  And I’ve see both good and bad mentioned about the cheap Monroe Sensatracs.

5B2A6D6B-950F-428B-B8A0-A288B1B36D42.jpeg

E80B426B-6DF2-4B8A-B079-C2C8FBC3A472.jpeg

B6F2B357-CF24-427A-A524-8639B54B50F6.jpeg

• Like 2

There aren't a lot of options.  A set of Bilsteins at $600 (have they really gone up that much?) is insane and hard to justify for a part-time ride.  KYBs will fit (with some jiggering on the front), and will be a bit firmer than OEM, but they're not designed for this car.  Monroes are drop-in replacements, but they have that slushy boulevard ride.

Shocks aren't some magic bullet.  Springs, control arm bushings (front and rear), and track bar bushings can also have a big effect on handling and feel.  You might also consider a beefier front sway bar (Addco makes a 1.25" drop-in replacement).

• Like 1

Find a jobber who will let you peruse one of their books from Monroe, Gabriel, or some other shock company and find other shocks that have the same mounts, upper and lower, and other similar measurements but have collapsed and extended dimensions that are two inches shorter.  Then find what performance shocks are made for that application. They should fit your Riviera.  Many moons ago, when the Riview was still typed on Ray's kitchen table, stapled, and mailed with a sticker pasted to it, there was a tech article that mentioned that there were shocks from some Dodge pickup that would fit a 1st generation Riviera.  You might also contact DR914 and see what he can do for you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Find a jobber who will let you peruse one of their books from Monroe, Gabriel, or some other shock company and find other shocks that have the same mounts, upper and lower, and other similar measurements but have collapsed and extended dimensions that are two inches shorter.  Then find what performance shocks are made for that application. They should fit your Riviera.  Many moons ago, when the Riview was still typed on Ray's kitchen table, stapled, and mailed with a sticker pasted to it, there was a tech article that mentioned that there were shocks from some Dodge pickup that would fit a 1st generation Riviera.  You might also contact DR914 and see what he can do for you.

Jamco sells a rear Bilstein that is spec’d for “lowered applications” which is actually less expensive than the stock application one.  But Bilstein says their stock replacement is good for up to a 2” drop.  Only 1 front option offered.

I’m curious about the cheaper ($45 each) shocks that Jamco sells, not much info on their website.

There is still a chance I may bag this car down the pike, but until then I want something better than these Autozone specials...

I know we are talking about your 1st Gen here, but as an example I put 1" lowered springs all the way around on my' 70. I put Monroe shocks on the front and RCD Bilsteins in the back. The back of the car rode like a brick. I was finally allowed to return the Bilsteins so then I put the cheapo Gabriel's in back and now it rides presentable. Not great but good enough for a weekend cruise here and there. I'm still in search of something better but we all know we have limitations on what's available. Good luck and I look forward to reading about the direction you go in and your results!

just install ac delco shocks, certainly good enough for a cruiser. We always install the bilstein for handling, as we are all used to modern cars that do not float down the road.  Rivieras were known for their stiffer suspension and great handling back then, but that is because they were compared to the cars of the time (even the american sports car, the corvette, of the era handles like crap in its original form compared to modern cars!). SO equipping the first generation (even the second and third generation) with GS springs and bilstein shocks and high speed rated tires with less flex in the side wall drastically improve the handling.  THEN we have to add disc power brakes, quick ratio steering, and seats with more side support!! (LOL)

I’m no stranger to dropping $ on quality suspension 😆.  But I’m not planning on autocrossing the Rivi, and living in Vegas, I don’t need a corner carver either.  The Jamco springs are definitely stiffer than the 55 year old stock springs that came out, and would benefit from more dampening for sure.

I’ll check out the Delcos as well.

53E62E77-DD53-4C66-BB09-56112C8A7B9E.jpeg

If you are thinking of bagging it later, get the RideTech shocks for the rear. Then you don't have to change. I have Shockwaves in the front, so a shock and air spring together, not separate. They may also sell a replacement lowered front shock. I don't remember and have not looked in a while.

OK, I looked. Link below. But $185 each.

https://www.ridetech.com//products/shocks/application-q-series-shocks/?features_hash=13-251_14-431

Edited by steelman
added link (see edit history)

Yes, the Rivi rode really nice, especially on our terrible roads here in SoCal. In my opinion, they were a better ride than the Bilsteins (not as harsh), plus for around $35 each, it was less of a hit to my pocketbook.

Just in case, I ran the KYB Gas-a-Just part numbers: Front - KG4550; and Rear - KG5466. I'm putting my '64 on air and will run the same rear KYB shock.

Edited by Vin63
typo (see edit history)

The 2" drop looks great. I want to do that on my 64. It's basically at that height now, the stock springs are sagging badly. I ran KYB gas-a-just on a 67 mustang, they were great but they seem to last for about 6 months of daily use before going soft.

You can get Viking fully adjustable (both up and down) shocks for $700-ish. They could be tuned to preference. Seems like a much better deal that the bilsteins. I have the factory adjustable shock package on my vette, it's pretty slick.  Turn a knob on the console and they go from reasonable to firm to stupid hard. The hard setting is pretty useless unless you want the fillings rattled out of your teeth. There's kits on the market now for coilovers with a small hydraulic ram on them. Lets you lift the car a few inches without affecting spring or shock rates. About $5k and some fab work.