What car club is this

named after joseph hudson

the name "Hudson" came from Joseph L. Hudson, a Detroit department store entrepreneur and founder of Hudson's department store, who provided the necessary capital and gave permission for the company to be named after him. A total of eight Detroit businessmen formed the company on February 20, 1909,[2] to produce an automobile which would sell for less than US$1,000 (equivalent to approximately $27,885 in 2018 funds[3]

12 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

This sticker is on the wing window of my 49 Hudson. Is it saying "the National meet" or Terraplane, Hudson, Essex National Meet? Was the HET Club. Hudson, Essex, Terraplane. Once the THE Club? Terraplane, Hudson, Essex. If that makes sense? 

It is the long-defunct Terraplane-Hudson-Essex Club.  Years ago, John Conde, of AMC Public Relations had some old newsletters from the T.H.E. Club from 1968 or so for sale.   No idea if they sold or not.

Craig

There is an active slant group in the Portland area.

They are regulars at the Woodburn drags.

I have always wondered if I could get one to run in circles that would compete with the V8s.

There used to be a guy with a built up aluminum V6 that ran the dirt and he kicked butt.

The slant leans the wrong way for constant left turns and I would be afraid that all the oil would stay in the valve cover.

I had to build outside drains as well as restrictors when I campaigned BBMs.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:59 PM, ted sweet said:

named after joseph hudson

the name "Hudson" came from Joseph L. Hudson, a Detroit department store entrepreneur and founder of Hudson's department store, who provided the necessary capital and gave permission for the company to be named after him. A total of eight Detroit businessmen formed the company on February 20, 1909,[2] to produce an automobile which would sell for less than US$1,000 (equivalent to approximately $27,885 in 2018 funds[3]

I think Target stores are part of that same company?

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

I think Target stores are part of that same company?

Dayton-Hudson was a department store company.

They developed the Target discount stores, which

eventually eclipsed their big department stores.

I have read that they donate 10% of their profits

to charity every year, though they do it quietly.

The company name was, maybe ten years ago,

changed to Target Corporation.

I'm not sure why the subject of this topic shifted from Slant Sixes to Hudsons.

But, in reference to the T.H.E. Greater Super Six Club, Inc.:

The Hudson-Essex-Terraplane Club had been formed in 1959 by Merrit Marks.  At its first national meet in 1960 the membership resoundingly rejected the idea of the new Club's sponsoring judging.  The feeling was: Hudson people should be helping one another with their cars, not competing against one another for trophies.

Carl Horton of Indianapolis (who had a collection of very nice Hudsons) felt differently about judging.  So he organized the T.H.E. club in September of 1966. 

I don't know how long the T.H.E. lasted; possibly 6 or 7 years. 

The H-E-T, on the other hand, has lasted 60 years, as of 2019.  And it still does not sponsor judging. 

• Thanks 1

The Slant Six aka "Leaning Tower of Power" was designed to be a performance engine from the start. Probably one of the most durable American engines ever built.

The "slant" allowed the Virgil Exner designs to keep a low hood profile similar to the flathead's. The all aluminum Super 225 is quite advanced for it's era.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Topic was not changed, it was about car clubs. The original question, just like all questions on this forum. Get answered in the first 1 or 2 responses. People are just to knowledgeable on here. These would all be very short topics if we all just answered the original question.

Actually, the topic WAS changed. The original poster wanted to know what car club the sticker was from. That really has nothing to do with other car clubs. Yes....it has been an entertaining thread.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 7:19 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

This sticker is on the wing window of my 49 Hudson. Is it saying "the National meet" or Terraplane, Hudson, Essex National Meet? Was the HET Club. Hudson, Essex, Terraplane. Once the THE Club? Terraplane, Hudson, Essex. If that makes sense? 

interior going in 014.jpg

There used to be a club named THE which stood for Terraplane Hudson Essex club. I had a few newsletters from them at one time. Long gone now (both, newsletters and club). Zeke 

5 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Then try the 300 SLR where the engine was canted over at a 33 degree angle toward the right side of the vehicle. Unfortunately for this discussion it was a straight 8, but it did lean in the correct direction.

300slrenginedrawing.jpg

Looks like it has a desmodromic valvetrain. Serious stuff.