Crazyfamily

Fuel Gauge Etching!

As many of us share the same pain of having a fouled up fuel gauge!  I had previously shared that I had a friend make me a few stencils so I could R&R my original fuel gauge in my 27/27 Buick.  Right now I am using a different style gauge that I got in a box of extra parts from the previous owner’s widow we purchased the car from.

While the fuel gauge I am using works, it’s not what I plan on using much longer.  So, tonight I had a few minutes to spare and thought I’d play with the stencil and give it a go at etching on a paint can lid and see what happened!

In my opinion for about 2-3 minutes of actual etch time and a quick blast from a spray bomb, I personally think it came out great!!!

Again, this is my first attempt at DIY Etching using table salt, distilled white vinegar, a splash of hot water, Q-Tips, and a 12V 1.5amp trickle charger!

I will continue to practice till I perfect the process before doing the final etching on my actual fuel gauge.

Just wanted to share this with you fine folks, I apologize for the quick shaky video but just wanted to share it before I cleaned it up for the evening!

I hope you all enjoy....

ps. I will do an actual step by step video and write up and share it for anyone who wants to try this themselves when I etch my actual fuel gauge.

BE0C4E8F-3FA2-481C-A6DF-2FD487107B6B.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

That is the coolest thing I have seen all month !

thank you Sir!  I appreciate that....

21 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I would really enjoy seeing how you do this in a video. 

I will make a video on my next practice run but in the meantime check this out....

• Like 3

Btw I did the same process using salt, distilled white vinegar, a 12v 1.5 amp battery charger but used the same method w a Q-Tip as in the video....

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 5:56 PM, Crazyfamily said:

As many of us share the same pain of having a fouled up fuel gauge!  I had previously shared that I had a friend make me a few stencils so I could R&R my original fuel gauge in my 27/27 Buick.  Right now I am using a different style gauge that I got in a box of extra parts from the previous owner’s widow we purchased the car from.

While the fuel gauge I am using works, it’s not what I plan on using much longer.  So, tonight I had a few minutes to spare and thought I’d play with the stencil and give it a go at etching on a paint can lid and see what happened!

In my opinion for about 2-3 minutes of actual etch time and a quick blast from a spray bomb, I personally think it came out great!!!

Again, this is my first attempt at DIY Etching using table salt, distilled white vinegar, a splash of hot water, Q-Tips, and a 12V 1.5amp trickle charger!

I will continue to practice till I perfect the process before doing the final etching on my actual fuel gauge.

Just wanted to share this with you fine folks, I apologize for the quick shaky video but just wanted to share it before I cleaned it up for the evening!

I hope you all enjoy....

ps. I will do an actual step by step video and write up and share it for anyone who wants to try this themselves when I etch my actual fuel gauge.

BE0C4E8F-3FA2-481C-A6DF-2FD487107B6B.jpeg

the three small rectangles above the stencil where I was testing how long to hold the Q tip on the metal to get the right depth of the etch.  It doesn’t take long to deep into the metal I can assure you that, and the amperage if the power supply, or in my case the battery charger, will slow down or speed up the depth of the etch!

i am going to do this same process on a friend’s small aluminum vial that she wears on a nceklace w her recently deceased daughter’s cremation remains in. She wants her daughter’s name and DOB and DOD on it, I am happy to do it for her after showing her my test etch on the paint can lid shown above.

ill be honest with you, I have not etched my fuel gauge face yet as I am a bit nervous since they are made of unobtainium and I only get one shot at doing it!

i am going to do some practicing this weekend and might get enough nerve to go ahead and do the fuel gauge, if and when I do I’ll be sure to post the video and pictures as others have asked!

• Like 3