Facebook Marketplace v Craigslist v ebay

B Jake Moran

Sounds like the total shaft for sellers like me that sell alot of items for 2.99-10.00.  I sell almost 11,000 items a year now we'll work off say 10,000 sales to make it easy.  That's $2500 a year raise they just gave them selves and a $2500 a year charge they just hit me with.  I really wish someone would give us a viable alternative.  As it is.  items seem to be selling for much less than they used to. 

Makes me even madder when I think about it as that's the new set of 6 tires for my car and the cost to paint all the rims.  Gone with the stroke of a key.  On top of that my wife got an ebay bucks deal that was only available to some people and not everyone.  Seems like discrimination to me.  Especially since I put so much into making their company like many other private sellers succeed.  All they do is give us the shaft. Even when they give you those ebay bucks they aren't losing squat as they are still making a percentage on every sale and the bucks are only good to buy other merchandise on ebay which they make a fee from. 

• Like 1

Alot of stuff I sell struggles to find buyers even at the open er of 2.99, but the problem is it's an auction so one you were going to throw away sells for 20.00-50.00 and the good looking stuff doesn't even get the opening bid of 2.99.  

I just had a customer stiff me for 465 items, totaling over $2,000.  I won't tell you how much work it takes to open an unpaid item case on every single item individually which you have to close.  I have over 3 hours just opening cases for 1/2 because the other half timed out of the system,  so I'm stuck paying those fees , though every invoice had an unpaid item on it,  they only let me open cases on the less than 30 days.  Now I have to go in and close them.  I lose my listing times,  listing fees and as far as I know this person with 2000 positive feedback is still bidding on other peoples stuff.  All fun right.  I still have to put those 465 items back in stock.   The shoot all new photos and list them when I get back around to selling that stuff again in 6 months.  I wrote ebay,  but they never responded.  Great to be a power seller isn't it?

Not to mention this all took place while I was buying the Auburn and stretching myself thin to begin with.  Sure would have made it a little less stressful to have that 2G in my bank account. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No telling what the timing is except I know that their agreement with Paypal ends sometime this year. It was surprising to me that they stuck to their guns on the per item fee because you know that the mega vendors aren't paying it........I suppose there will be a day when the word "ethics" no longer appears in the dictionary....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

More paperwork for us peons though.  It's a bit of a pain now to get your tax info off ebay and pay pal now.  So anytime they throw another hoop in the works to jump through it just makes it more work for us.  You get the nice 1099 from pay pal but that doesn't break down money paid to ebay for shipping or other things which you then have to go into ebay to figure out which doesn't have a nice easy way or simple total.  So now ebay will have to report to the IRS and supply a 1099 as well.  I like to keep things simple not make them more complicated but I'm sure ebay found a new way to squeeze some more pennies out of us.  Like not refunding money on shipping we refund amongst other things.   I just need to figure my way to bleed an extra few cents out of every transaction instead of losing that much every time they come up with something new and improved. 

I'm at a total loss trying to understand eBay Math,. Looks like I sold a lot of stuff this month if you look at the total, but they add the shipping and state tax in the mix. If I sell something with "free shipping" does eBay go ahead and add some mystery shipping fee they make up in there. Heaven help the overseas buyers that get hit with "Global Shipping" Bob 

1 hour ago, vermontboy said:

No telling what the timing is except I know that their agreement with Paypal ends sometime this year. It was surprising to me that they stuck to their guns on the per item fee because you know that the mega vendors aren't paying it........I suppose there will be a day when the word "ethics" no longer appears in the dictionary....

There will be an notation that states doesn't apply to Ebay at the very least.

I heard they were suppose to keep pay pal as an option.  Not sure how that works because only pay pal is tied to my bank. I'm not sure if I want ebay tied as well with some of their dubious moves and Methods.  They may have the only game in town,  but times change.  The day for a good alternative will come.  I'm not making the money I use to make despite having better stuff than I ever have.  

Hear that guys selling literature.  It isn't getting more valuable,  the markets dropping.  Sell it now before it falls out completely.  Many of my customers are in their 70's and 80's and have already bought all but the most unusual stuff from me.  I only have a handful of regular customers as it is and many items at my stupid cheap opening bid only get a couple of watchers if that.  

3 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Hear that guys selling literature.  It isn't getting more valuable,  the markets dropping.  Sell it now before it falls out completely.  Many of my customers are in their 70's and 80's and have already bought all but the most unusual stuff from me.  I only have a handful of regular customers as it is and many items at my stupid cheap opening bid only get a couple of watchers if that.  

The canary in the coal mine (old car hobby), perhaps..........Bob

• Like 1

It's more years and years of the younger generation being programmed to cast off stuff for a minimalistic life style and a huge supply network popping up on the internet.  It's happened with lots of stuff once deemed rare. 

Cast off my tiny house on a postage stamp for a bigger house on some property and couldn't be happier. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I just checked out the Ebay info page on this and it looks like the rate is going to be 2.7% plus $0.25 per listing sold (if you sell multiples of the same item to one person its a quarter, if the same person buys multiple items with different listings its a quarter per listing) so we might actually be better off as this rolls out.  I can't figure out PayPals fees for the life of me, it seems like they charge a different rate depending on how the person pays.  I've sold 2 items for the same price on the same day and had the fees differ by 25%.  

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Quite possibly Paypal doesnt want to be associated with ebay any longer, due to being pissed at losing the largest account they ever had............

progress.

Paypal at 4% fees can shove it up their.............

I'm sure whatever ebay charges it will be more.  They know how to become the only game in town then stick their sellers every way possible.  I'm just not looking forward to extra paperwork and even more fees.  For every change,  it's never beneficial in the end to sellers. Kind of like Gov't regs to make things better.  They add more and more to make things better and it only gets worse.  Free enterprise works best with minimal restrictions.  Regulate it and it goes down hill real fast. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'll always wonder if a buyer prefers a $25.00 item with Free postage, or a cheaper $20.00 item with $5.00 postage & handling? 

Bob 

eBay has been goading sellers into offering 'free shipping' for several years.  I tend to have the same results either way.   The other big push from eBay was the 'start the item at 99 cents and auction fever will push the bids sky-high' line of malarkey.  Wonder how many sellers followed that advice and lost their shirt.

It used to be the "final value fee" was a percentage of the item sales price, not including shipping. So if you sold and item for $10 plus $10 shipping, your fee would only be half that if you sold it $20 and free shipping.

Then they changed it so the ebay fee was a percentage of the (price+shipping). So you might as well just say "free shipping" in so far as your eBay fee is concerned.

21 minutes ago, Harold said:

eBay has been goading sellers into offering 'free shipping' for several years.  I tend to have the same results either way.   The other big push from eBay was the 'start the item at 99 cents and auction fever will push the bids sky-high' line of malarkey.  Wonder how many sellers followed that advice and lost their shirt.

I still use the cheap opening bid.  It does make a difference.  I have had alot of bidders pay more for my items than one they could buy it now from another seller because they got on it when it was 2.99 not a buy it now of 30.00.  Once on it they didn't want to lose it,   so they kept on it and ran it past the 30.00 mark.  Now if i had a High opening bid I doubt there would have ben much if any action just a last minute hit at the opening.  

I often buy items from sellers at high opening bids for the opening bid or slightly more then start them with like literature at a lower (losing money price) but they often blow right past what I paid.  Whether I'm getting better exposure or just listing them better I can't say,  but I know when I see an item at a high opening bid I don't get excited and often even pass on it.  Yet when I see something cheaply listed,  I get excited and be sure to get my bid in.  It's what drives my sales.  Cheap opening bid and 95-99% sell through first time,  unlike the guys with pages and pages of inventory that never seems to move.   The cheap opening bids also keep a bunch of guys looking every night to see what I listed they cant live without.  When you have the chance of buying a rare $100 item for 2.99 you tend to stay tuned in.  I also sell alot of like make stuff each night so they know they are going o get a hell of a deal on shipping the more they buy. 

Often wonder how many people check my eBay Store listings or know I have all that stuff listed. I have most of my stuff listed at Buy it Now with unknown stuff in an auction. Had a major hit last year, on an Auction Listing  gut told me to reject offers once some bids were posted. Bob 

after all is said and done- I only sell cars on ebay now.

I sell a car for about 65. fee that is 1999.  the fee from 2k- to a million is only 125.

parts at 1999. end up being 14%. so a pair of e and j headlights cost me over 250. to sell and the car 65............

better to sell parts elsewhere.

14 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'll always wonder if a buyer prefers a $25.00 item with Free postage, or a cheaper $20.00 item with $5.00 postage & handling? 

Bob 

I buy a lot off day to day items on eBay, Always look for buy it now and free shipping.

Rarely do I buy with shipping added on.

I shop eBay before Amazon.

Haven't sold on eBay for several years, with threads like this I am scared to death to try and sell anything on there.

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Often wonder how many people check my eBay Store listings or know I have all that stuff listed. I have most of my stuff listed at Buy it Now with unknown stuff in an auction. Had a major hit last year, on an Auction Listing  gut told me to reject offers once some bids were posted. Bob 

Bob,

I get "new items" lists from some of the sellers I follow.

Do you use that selling tool to keep your items out in front of previous customers?

Joe

16 hours ago, mike6024 said:

It used to be the "final value fee" was a percentage of the item sales price, not including shipping. So if you sold and item for $10 plus $10 shipping, your fee would only be half that if you sold it $20 and free shipping.

Then they changed it so the ebay fee was a percentage of the (price+shipping). So you might as well just say "free shipping" in so far as your eBay fee is concerned.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

That was when I quit selling on eBay.

These days, I occasionally have a few leftovers from restoration projects or spares that didn't go with sold vehicles.

Depending on the item, I list those things on this site, other club & marque-specific forums, the H.A.M.B., local club newsletters & websites, word of mouth and local swap meets.

Those are also the places I prefer to search and buy from.

But I still buy the occasional item on eBay if I can't find it elsewhere.

I don't have access to Facebook Marketplace, but I re-initiated my account to gain access. A few friends have recently commented that it is the best place to find parts & cars.

I have also found great stuff on Instagram; that's probably my favorite place to find specific items (used automotive parts) right now.

Joe

1 hour ago, 95Cardinal said:

Bob,

I get "new items" lists from some of the sellers I follow.

Do you use that selling tool to keep your items out in front of previous customers?

Joe

That is news to me, have to see what that option costs. I have been surprised that somethings sells within an hour of listing it.  Bob 

A couple years ago I had a '24 car for sale.

I ran it through ebay three times to no avail except one crabby tire kicker.

I had even less success with craigslist.

One late Sunday afteroon I gave facebook marketplace a shot out of desperation.

Within 2 hours I got a phone call from a solid prospective buyer.

On Tuesday he was in my shed and gave me a grand down.

By the end of the week he was back with a friend and trailer, paid me off and bye bye.

• Like 1

88994738_10215209076930782_4779395669473361920_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=FXVKgEFh4RsAX-IMIx1&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=a1d15d3328c32c390c195aee18898ebf&oe=5E83ACA9

Marketplace›
Antiques & Collectibles
1927 Austin 7
Crockett, CA · about a day ago · 
$1,500
1927 Austin 7 with custom woodbody. Not running but not in terrible shape. Has been in storage for a number of years. 

You must pick up, fits in a u hual or flatbed. Price is negotiable.

I am in the east     have rental properties      On a building I just bought I put on zillow, creg's list and this time opened a face book account  ....    the quality of leads from face book was some what less than I am used to       too easy to just click balloons on screen with out very much forthought   got a good person from zillow   don't understand the face book mentality         warm and fuzzy       wrong generation I guess