Who rebuilds Delco Lovejoy knee action shocks?

Str8-8-Dave

Hi Matt;  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they might do these old guys still.  I sent them a note to inquire and will call them soo if I don't hear.  My concern is the older shock service appears to have been dropped off their website but yo never know, they might still do these.  I also answered Marvin Ribbich's post regarding knee action shocks and he is looking to see what he has.

Thanks a ton for your response.

Dave

There is a thread on these forums about the restoration of Daphne, a 1932 Dodge, that includes the rebuild of the Delco-Lovejoy lever arm shocks. That is a long thread so it might take some time to find the shock section in the thread but it is worth a read.

The Lovejoy shocks are relatively easy to disassemble.  You may find that there is relatively  little wrong with the mechanism that a good cleaning and fresh fluids may get them operational again.   Generally the seals are the most difficult components to find and replace.  On the 50 series shocks, I have removed the seal cups and then put  dummy shaft through the cup and then used castable urethane rubber to make new seals that replace the old cork compound seals.  I have no experience with the 60,80,90 series shocks, but they don't look very difficult from the sectional views in manual.  Taking one apart won't stop you from sending them out for rebuild, but if a cleaning and fresh fluids get them workable, you will save a lot of $$ and time.

The shaft seals are all above the working valves and pistons, so while the manuals says to fill them, I keep the level a bit lower so there is less likely hood of leakage at the seal.

Bob Engle

From my corner I have 2 updates.  First Marvin Ribbich didn't say whether or not he had NOS or rebuilt shocks for my car but stated he thinks he has a deal to acquire 100 more knee action shocks.  He wanted me to take pictures of all my shocks and send them to him "for future reference".    Second, I called Apple Hydraulics in NY and they stated they would service my shocks.  Average price $385 each.  

R

Apple is probably the route I will go.  The shaft seal is leaking on the one shock and I'm a little leery of messing with trying to remove the shaft for service. 

When I started this thread I didn't know how few services were out there.  I guess we are lucky to have one rebuilder. 

From a common sense standpoint there are a couple of reasons to get them rebuilt by someone who has experience and tools.  One reason is I believe these are the original shocks so replacing them outright makes the car just that much less original.  Another is if I bought NOS the question is what did sitting around for 80 years do to the unit, probably not good for seals or oil.   I bought a rebuilt unit outright from someone not actively restoring these shocks who did the rebuild and when?  It's reassuring to hear from others that have used Apple that their experience was good.  Thanks everyone for your input, highly appreciated that you would take the time to respond.

Dave.

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
add text (see edit history)

To each his own, but for me, I would have to see what's inside before I would spend $1500.  I haven't done anything with the big series shocks, but the 50 series are simple, need no special tools and usually only need a seal on the lever shaft  and new oil.

Bob Engle  

• 1 month later...

I have a 1935-50 Buick.   When I bought it I knew it needed shocks front and back.   My front shocks are Delco-Lovejoy knee action units that are a bit wierd.   Because of that,  mine were ~$450 each.   The rear units are single arm units and ran about $275 each.   Not cheep but they will last beyond my lifetime.   Plus I’m sure the prior owners never kept the shock fully charged.     Many of our old cars had very little maintenance over their life time.    When was the last time your rear axel outboard bearings were regreased  or replaced as needed ?     A small pain to open them up and check the lube in there.     I’ve done 4 of them.   Three were  tolerable,  only in condition.   Needed TLC and new grease to make them last another year or two.   One was trashed  and was about to cause serious problems.   I always open them up and replace the bearings and grease seals.   That done,  their good enough now for another 40 to 60,000 miles.   

https://fivepointsclassicautoshocks.com/contact/

I used these guys to rebuild my shocks and definitely recommend them.  I had asked for photos of the interior parts when they disassembled the shocks so I could see the type(s) of damage present.  I was able to discuss their intended repair and with additional photo documentation was able to confirm that the shocks were actually rebuilt.  I've heard many stories of a rebuilder cleaning up the part, putting on a nice coat of paint and returning the part with insufficient effort expended, misrepresenting the rebuild.  These shocks are such a pain in the drain to remove to return for a warranty claim, that I presume the law of averages works in favor of the misrepresenting rebuilder.

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 1