Wanted 1965 Chevelle SS with 4 speed

chevyrod1938

I am looking for a 1965, and only a 1965,   Chevelle SS with a four speed and 327 engine.  The car must be in original or near original condition, no hot rods, rust buckets or major projects. I am located in New York but will consider cars in all locations. The car can be restored if done properly and verified by pictures of the rebuild. The more options the better.  Any L79's should have all the proper documentation to prove their validity. Please send pictures with first email along with a description and ;location of vehicle.

I can be contacted at 631-757-5021, emailed at chevyrod1938@aol.com or texted at 631-988-4005.

Thanks,

Chris

Perhaps "grossly overpriced" is actually "market correct?" Sounds like you want an exceptional car; those always bring a premium. 

There are thousands of guys who regret buying their "bargain" car, but there aren't many who regret paying extra for a great one.

• Like 2

I am more than willing to pay what a car is worth but a 4 speed 65 should not bring 45K or an L79 bring 65K.  Problem is that dealers have taken over the collector market and tacked on their premiums and televised auctions have artificially inflated the prices of collector cars.  Vintage cars have become a commodity for the rich to hide their money in rather than a hobby for the average enthusiast.

I am more than willing to pay what a car is worth but a 4 speed 65 should not bring 45K or an L79 bring 65K.  Problem is that dealers have taken over the collector market and tacked on their premiums and televised auctions have artificially inflated the prices of collector cars.  Vintage cars have become a commodity for the rich to hide their money in rather than a hobby for the average enthusiast.

More info please what you are looking for -
1 Showroom condition
2 Very nice but not showroom
3 Average with some wear.
What are you looking for and what will you pay ?

This looks nice, is $24k reasonable ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Chevrolet-Malibu-SS/143233604940?hash=item2159635d4c%3Ag%3AiuYAAOSwWdxcx8X2&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500

I understand your comments on investors crowding enthusiast.
I owned a 67 SS396 Chevelle a few years back, very fast car, there was a long line of abusers ahead of me before I got my chance to abuse.
I suppose these days some guys would be happy to have it, probably #4 condition when I sold it for $900.

Edited by 1950panhead
x (see edit history)

There is something phoney about that car, the trim tage states 65-132 which is for a deluxe 300 chevelle with a V8. Super Sport V/8's should be 65-138.  I am looking for a nice original car that has not been rusted away and patched back together. I will consider all right up to a body off restoration if the price is right. I am willing to go higher for a high option car or quality original.  

A few years ago I missed out on a 33 Ford highboy for $35,000. I watched that over the next two years go from dealer to dealer until the last guy was asking 60K for the car in the same condition as it was when offered for 35K. 

If the cars are bringing those prices, that is their value. I certainly wish I could make cars worth more than they actually are, but dealers can't do that. It just doesn't work that way. I wish I could sell a car for full market value and then add +20% for myself, but market value is market value and my cut has to come out on the margins. Nobody over-pays for anything, even the "stupid rich guys on TV." People call me all the time thinking my margins are like 40 or 50%. That's completely nuts. This year we'll probably average about 9.7% over about 150 cars. I sure am not getting rich doing this.

I hear these same complaints all the time (dealers are wrecking the hobby, rich guys are stupid with their money, auctions make everybody think everything is worth more) but day-in and day-out I see consistent prices on specific vehicles at all levels of the hobby. It's rare for a car to bring significantly more than others of its kind if conditions are equal and if it does, it is only because it's exceptional, and the cars that seem like bargains always have needs. If you are finding that all the cars you want to buy are too expensive, doesn't that suggest that it might be you whose prices are out of touch with reality? I don't mean that as any kind of insult, but if EVERYTHING you're looking at seems too expensive or too hacked up, then doesn't it make more sense that what you're seeing is the going rate rather than everyone else is wrong and you're right? There are still guys in this hobby who think that Model As are just sitting in farmer's barns waiting to be purchased for $150, but that isn't reality, either.

Glancing at auction results, they look pretty consistent to me. It looks like $40-50,000 for a 1965 Chevelle SS hardtop is the going rate for a decent one. Cars with upgraded engines are bringing $60-80,000 pretty consistently. Cars with exceptional documentation or fresh restorations will always bring a premium. There are plenty of $10-25,000 cars sprinkled in there, but I doubt any of those are pristine, correct, unmolested cars with restoration documentation, and certainly none of them are documented L79 cars.

Here's just a sample:

Upgrade your willingness to pay more for a good car or downgrade your expectations for what you'll end up with. Those appear to be the choices. As I said, pay the going rate for a superior car and you'll never think about the price again. Pay less for a car with needs and you may never stop cursing. Resenting the fact that people are maybe making money in the hobby is irrelevant and gets you no closer to owning the car you want.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I really didn't come on here to debate the state of the hobby.  I have been involved with the vintage car hobby since my first model A in 1963 and have my opinions so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The fact that all the prices you quote are from auctions makes my point that that dealers and auctions are now ruling the vintage car market and helping to drive up prices.  Example, at one auction 2 guys want the same 65 Chevelle and drive the price up to $60,000, now the precedent has been set so all 65 chevelles that come up on auction must be worth that.  I will refer you back to my 33 Ford story of a $35K car jumping up to a 65K car as it passed from dealer to dealer and each one thought there was still a little "meat on the bone". I am almost resigned to the fact that the car I buy will be from a dealer, it is just the direction the hobby has gone it.

Example, at one auction 2 guys want the same 65 Chevelle and drive the price up to $60,000

If two guys have $60k and want the same car then the car is worth $60k.
Buyers decide what to spend, sellers and auctions have no power, just buyers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Chevrolet-Malibu-SS/143233604940?hash=item2159635d4c%3Ag%3AiuYAAOSwWdxcx8X2&LH_ItemCondition=3000|1000|2500
Trim tag ST65-13211, 13211 is a 2-DOOR COUPE, 6-PASSENGER

Edited by 1950panhead
x (see edit history)

I have to disagree with you, auctions can create a buying frenzy that many times drives a car well over the actual value of it. Thne the commentators come on and say "these are really hot cars now" and 

then things get crazy. I am almost 70 and remember when I could call about a car, speak to the owner, come to a reasonable value for the car and purchase it. I understand for the most part those days are gone, just another new reality I have to get used to along with bad knees and thinning hair.

Nice 1963 Nova, 4 speed, triple 2-carb, 327 convertible, 18k in my hometown. I know it isn't the same body style as the 1965, but looks like a very nice car. Cherry red, black interior, white top. Not affiliated. I keep looking at it but have no more space😩

Sorry, but yes sir. Most of these with the 4spd, were abused to death. There are nice ones out there, and I agree, the prices are nuts, I could never afford to buy one or the `66 GTO I`ve always wanted. That`s where the dreaming ends for me, now it`s only a nightmare. I do wish you the best of luck in finding one for what you want to pay.

The funny thing is I have not mentioned what my price range is !  I don'r expect to find a car in the 20 grand price range.  I am more than open to all cars and judge them and their price on an individual basis.

But are correct, many of them have been abused over the years, I still cringe at what I did to my 65 back in 1968.  Hopped up engine, hood scoop and a lace paint job and would  pound that Hurst shifter thru the gears at the slightest provocation .

• 5 months later...