Jump to content

If you could only have one “dream” car.......


Jeff Perkins / Mn
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Is this the truck that was at Rhinebeck two or three years ago? If so, and you were the owner then, I thank you for taking a few moments out of your day to educate me about it. 

Yeah, That's it. Dandy Dave! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Pfiel, I believe AACA recognizes historic hot rods.  This is the D. Spencer 32, a pretty historic car.  I believe class 37 is where this one would fit, but it has historical significance regardless. 

 

 

 

Well, Just one more reason not to re-join.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

 

Well, Just one more reason not to re-join.

 

38 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

 

Well, Just one more reason not to re-join.

Class 37 was never approved.  It was a bad thought that the National Board did float, but there was so many objections from members and whole Regions that threatened to withdraw, that the who idea was thrown out.  That was a good 15 years ago.  I left the Board in 2010 and Class 37 bit the dust quite a while before my 15 years (3 at a time, 5 elections) years on the Board ran out.  First, it was too hard to define, and second it ran against the grain of the purpose of AACA.  And now Pfeil, I'll tell  you, there is absolutely no good reason not to rejoin AACA.  I'm a life member and I joined in 1962 when I was 24 years old.  No AACA, no old car hobby as we know it.  Remember that.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

 

Class 37 was never approved.  It was a bad thought that the National Board did float, but there was so many objections from members and whole Regions that threatened to withdraw, that the who idea was thrown out.  That was a good 15 years ago.  I left the Board in 2010 and Class 37 bit the dust quite a while before my 15 years (3 at a time, 5 elections) years on the Board ran out.  First, it was too hard to define, and second it ran against the grain of the purpose of AACA.  And now Pfeil, I'll tell  you, there is absolutely no good reason not to rejoin AACA.  I'm a life member and I joined in 1962 when I was 24 years old.  No AACA, no old car hobby as we know it.  Remember that.

That explains why it never seemed to take off.  I guess if one was lucky enough to own the Spencer Duece they would have to settle for just about any concours.  I stand corrected on AACA eligibility but would be willing to live with that. 🤔😉

 

I will say it makes no sense to me that "factory replicars" are accepted (not a value judgment, and I get the appeal) but AACA can't find a class for a truly iconic, historic vehicle.  That said its not a hill to did on, and I will keep supporting the club, very good point AACA is critical to the hobby.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steve, The "Historic Hot Rods"CAN be shown at AACA National events IF they can document that they raced back in the day and get an AACA RACE CAR Certification certificate and dash badge. Many Dry Lake, Bonneville and early Drag Cars have been shown and won first junior and senior awards. the Tony Nancy Buick powered '29 Ford Roadster was the first "Hot Rod" to win the AACA Past Presidents Racing Cup for the Finest  Race Car in the East Coast that year. I went on to a full feature in the Rodder's Journal. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Steve, The "Historic Hot Rods"CAN be shown at AACA National events IF they can document that they raced back in the day and get an AACA RACE CAR Certification certificate and dash badge. Many Dry Lake, Bonneville and early Drag Cars have been shown and won first junior and senior awards. the Tony Nancy Buick powered '29 Ford Roadster was the first "Hot Rod" to win the AACA Past Presidents Racing Cup for the Finest  Race Car in the East Coast that year. I went on to a full feature in the Rodder's Journal. Bob 

When I wrote I wasn't thinking of cars that actually were race cars that competed in recognized race events.  1937hd45 is correct.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get where such a class might be disruptive.  The line would be muddy.

 

The best historic hot rods whether documented in competition or not, are in the high end collections already, and get recognized enough I guess.  Didnt intend to open any cans of worms, I thought the car would speak for itself, its pretty recognizable but maybe not as much here. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I get where such a class might be disruptive.  The line would be muddy.

 

The best historic hot rods whether documented in competition or not, are in the high end collections already, and get recognized enough I guess.  Didnt intend to open any cans of worms, I thought the car would speak for itself, its pretty recognizable but maybe not as much here. 🙂

I was told by a high ranking member of the ACD club (might have even been the president at one point) one day years ago long before I had a Cord when out of the blue he stopped at my house in upstate NY because he saw my 1932 Hiboy I was building outside as I was wet sanding on it, Then he saw my old 32 Drag car (Largely Untouched since being raced in the 50's) long before there was really an interest in cars like that, how many guys with a Cord or an Auburn in their garage have something like my Hot rod in their other stall.  He was also an Appraiser and was coming back from looking at a car for someone.  He was blown away by how well preserved it was and told me that he thought there would be alot of interest in cars like that down the road.  He sure was right.  Unfortunately when I finally got around to joining the ACD when I got my Cord many years later he had passed.  He sent me a stack of old newsletters that I drooled over for years.   I think i had even kept them for years until my last move. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

 

That is such a funny phase, made me laugh.

 

 

Bernie I cannot speak for others, my thought is we will see more attempts at legislation that is unfriendly to the hobby, and AACA is best positioned to represent our intetests.  But just an opinion and you know what they say about those... 🤔😉

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 60FlatTop said:

 

15 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

AACA is critical to the hobby.

 

That is such a funny phase, made me laugh.

 

 

No AACA = No Hershey Region AACA = No flea market, I fail to see any humor in that. Bob 

Just now, 60FlatTop said:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

No AACA = No Hershey Region AACA = No flea market, I fail to see any humor in that. Bob 

 

I didn't see any humor in you calling one of my car's a POS from a parking lot, but I laughed because it is the stereotype I frequently see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Such an embarrassment of riches to choose from, but one that satisfies the appreciation of fine quality, wonderful design proportions and rarity: a 1941 Packard Custom Super Eight 180 Sport Brougham by LeBaron.  As long as I can specify, solid dark blue without side-mounts and running-boards, but with elegant dark blue broadcloth piped light gray  and fender skirts.

'41 Sport Brougham LeBaron factory photo a.jpg

'41 Sport Brougham LeBaron factory photo.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

Here is one I can at least go look at and dream about.....

C72DF3EA-564E-47A5-B64A-759A6B6E7C33.jpeg

 

C74847F2-DBDE-4B15-8A93-68E8E6275689.jpeg

I saw this Loco at Lime Roc at the first Vintage Fall Festival.  It averaged 100 mph around the track. You could fill the ground shake as it went by.  Awesome! At the time it was owned by Peter Helck's nephew.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2019 at 2:45 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

 

Class 37 was never approved.  It was a bad thought that the National Board did float, but there was so many objections from members and whole Regions that threatened to withdraw, that the who idea was thrown out.  That was a good 15 years ago.  I left the Board in 2010 and Class 37 bit the dust quite a while before my 15 years (3 at a time, 5 elections) years on the Board ran out.  First, it was too hard to define, and second it ran against the grain of the purpose of AACA.  And now Pfeil, I'll tell  you, there is absolutely no good reason not to rejoin AACA.  I'm a life member and I joined in 1962 when I was 24 years old.  No AACA, no old car hobby as we know it.  Remember that.

 

 Too far away from a chapter, no chapter in my area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I knew I had this somewhere.  Since we are dreaming the Alco would do just fine.  The building it is housed in today is also home to a music shop with some very collectible guitars.  This is a photoshoot from 5 years ago, the black  59 Les Paul belonged to James Honeyman Scott, my favorite guitar player.  Also a talented writer, he was lead guitar for the Pretenders 79 to 82, and he also toured with the Beach Boys briefly while on break in the summer of 81.  You guys know about #8 already.  Yep, these would round things out nicely. 🙂

Black-Beast-2-1-of-1.jpg

Black-Beast-3-of-8-302x250.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Gibson 5 String Banjo in the collection. Prefer a Fender Stratocaster over the Gibson Les Paul though because my big fingers fit between the strings better. Dream Instrument. An F-5 Gibson Mandolin to round out the collection. Now back to Cars. Dandy Dave!   

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...