Jim Richardson

1947 Chrysler Windsor Limo 7 passenger

Recommended Posts

1947 Chrysler Windsor Limo 7 passenger, Time capsule, 59,000 miles, we believe to be correct. Nice, fluid drive, runs/drives excellent. Rust-free, 6 cylinder, spotlight, siren under hood, one repaint. Health forces sell.  Asking $12,500.  Call (765) 963-5943.

chrysler7.jpg

chrysle76.jpg

chrysler1.jpg

chrysler2.jpg

chrysler3.jpg

chrysler4.jpg

chrysler5.jpg

chrysler6.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a sedan ambulance. 😉

Removable passenger side front seat and removable passenger side pillar to load a gurney. 

Typically they also had jump seats that were easily removed without tools. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, m-mman said:

Looks like a sedan ambulance. 😉

Removable passenger side front seat and removable passenger side pillar to load a gurney. 

Typically they also had jump seats that were easily removed without tools. 

 

Thank you m-mman.   I knew something was off and you cleared up my confusion.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were popular with funeral homes as a multi purpose vehicle. 

They functioned as a limo/family car for a funeral and as a 'ambulance' to transfer people between hospitals or bring them home from a hospital (invalid care) after discharge in a vehicle that might not excite the neighbors. 

They would not have been used at an actual emergency. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting lwb Chrysler.  How about photos of the doors open in the various configurations so we call all see how they worked.   I note the release hand on the B-pillar, does it stay attached to the door?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Interesting lwb Chrysler.  How about photos of the doors open in the various configurations so we call all see how they worked.   I note the release hand on the B-pillar, does it stay attached to the door?

The post is removable.

IMG_6559 (2).JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd definitely be the talk of the Home Depot parking lot as you load up the interior with lumber....

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was my understanding that in addition to being completely removable with both doors open, it could be left attached to the rear door by opening the front first then unlatching the rear door with B-pillar attached by moving the handle in a different direction.  True or a myth?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a wild ride home from hospital if they forgot to strap the gurney down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a kid in central Illinois circa 1949, I distinctly remember lights and siren blaring on a Chrysler like this on its way to to our local hospital from one of the surrounding "farm towns". I would say that these LWB sedans did multi-tasks, including emergency service.

Why do I remember seventy years ago like yesterday but I can't find the 9/16" socket that I used yesterday?

Henry F.

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, parrts said:

As a kid in central Illinois circa 1949, I distinctly remember lights and siren blaring on a Chrysler like this on its way to to our local hospital from one of the surrounding "farm towns". I would say that these LWB sedans did multi-tasks, including emergency service.

Why do I remember seventy years ago like yesterday but I can't find the 9/16" socket that I used yesterday?

Henry F.

 

Isn't that the truth! And it's always the 9/16" isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, keiser31 said:

The post is removable.

IMG_6559 (2).JPG

 

I love the name "Sedambulance!"  I once owned a '48 Windsor 4-door and learned quite a bit about MoPar vehicles, but I never learned about the Sedambulance.  Thank you to all for this very interesting commentary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Dad, can borrow the love machine,  errrr      Sedambulance tonight?   

You think your new "date" would get in that ?

I'd rather have a Nash..............

 

Sure would be something at the local car shows.

Especially if you took a young "candy striper" along.

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did find this photo demonstration of a 1938 DeSoto (screen-grab from a Flickr page without a description - must be sales literature).

D440F18B-EB77-45E9-9998-3C846732D836.jpeg

Edited by Ben P. (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now