marty mopar

Help with brakes (not a surprise is it?)

OK not my car but have a customer who has his 1989 TC in a shop.

Talked to his mechanic. Brake pedal hard but has fluid in it.

Suggestions on where to start would be helpful

Edited by marty mopar (see edit history)

Make sure the fuse box on the right side of the engine bay is OK. If the pump ran too long they have a tendency to melt the fuse box. If that is that case, then there is most likely a problem with the accumulator bulb, which should be replaced anyway if it has never been done.

That's where *I* would start. I know Hemi has a LOT of experience diagnosing the Teves, so hopefully he'll chime in. Most of us have FSM's, so that has a whole section on diagnosing, repairing, etc. the Teves, if needed.

• Like 1

It's really late Saturday night, 2300, will tackle this after church tomorrow 

OK Marty, I wonder if you have followed through on the advice of Reaper1 as that would also be my first suggestion.

If you still need more assistance, get back to us.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We have a 91 TC with brakes and battery drain issue.  The battery is going dead after serval days of non use.   I hooked up an ammeter between battery and car and measure a constant draw of 0.125A.  But...also discovered that the Motor Relay energises when battery is hooked up, and stays on all the time. (?)  According to the service manual that relay is powered on by the abs module.   However we unplugged the module but the motor relay stayed on???  (It's the black relay on the end towards the windshield).  Any idea why that relay would stay on with car off and key out?  Just to add...the fuse/relay box had melted at some point and fuse was hardwired outside the box during the repair. 

Edited by sunnynmo
Added more info (see edit history)

1 hour ago, sunnynmo said:

We have a 91 TC with brakes and battery drain issue.  The battery is going dead after serval days of non use.   I hooked up an ammeter between battery and car and measure a constant draw of 0.125A.  But...also discovered that the Motor Relay energises when battery is hooked up, and stays on all the time. (?)  According to the service manual that relay is powered on by the abs module.   However we unplugged the module but the motor relay stayed on???  (It's the black relay on the end towards the windshield).  Any idea why that relay would stay on with car off and key out?  Just to add...the fuse/relay box had melted at some point and fuse was hardwired outside the box during the repair. 

Hi sunny, from what you have written above, I would suspect the relay contacts are stick together or else the 3 way switch which is screwed into the hydraulic assembly (master cylinder) is stuck in the ‘pump on’ position which therefore activates that relay.

Try disconnecting the wire connector at the 3 way switch and see if that deactivates the relay and the draw on the battery. 

• Like 1

I agree with Hemi. Also make sure the fuse box on the passenger's side of the engine bay isn't melted. If that motor stays on too long it has a tendency to make that circuit REALLY hot.