Kfigel

'22 Big Six Speedster Robe Rail & Rear Brackets

I'm looking to clean up the metal robe rail and set of six vertical brackets on the back of my recently acquired 1922 Studebaker Big Six Speedster car.  They are currently a dark "gold" shade.  I took this as discoloration or general wear after 98 years.  Metal polish isn't touching it.  When I unscrewed the robe rail into three pieces, there is a very shiny metallic (like new) shine to the metal that was under the rail ends.  Is this nickel like the bumpers and radiator shroud are?  I carefully scraped off some of the "coating" with my fingernail (it came off like a powder) and it sure appears that there is the same shiny metal underneath. 

Does anyone know what the robe rail and rear brackets were originally; nickel or a darker coating that's on there now?  My next step would be to use a mild abrasive like a Scotch Pad on them to remove the "coating" to bring out the shiny metal look to them, and then polish them.  

Also, are the six brackets on the back of the car just ornamental or do they have a purpose?

See attached pictures, and thanks.

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG

Robe rail was originally bright nickel plated over the brass parts. They would need to be repolished and replated. The rub strips on the rear of the car were to prevent a trunk from damaging the paint.

Scott 

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

On 12/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, Stude Light said:

Robe rail was originally bright nickel plated over the brass parts. They would need to be repolished and replated. The rub strips on the rear of the car were to prevent a trunk from damaging the paint.

Scott 

Thanks Scott.

If you are not in a hurry , I believe that I saw these in the warehouse.

It is too cold in the warehouse now and it cost more to heat the building than I sell on parts.

I am old and slow but will look for these if you have not found any by spring.

Robert Kapteyn

eight one five 212 2389.

studebaker(at)mac.com

replace the (at)!!

Edited by rbk (see edit history)