Sign in to follow this  
first64riv

Help ID'ing this brake booster

Hey all,

I was surfing the web and I came across this 1965 Riviera.  https://www.anderhartspeed.com/completed-projects/1965-buick-riviera/

The shop states that it is using " a Cadillac brake booster, Wilwood tandem master cylinder and combination valve " Could someone ID the year Cadillac the booster is used on?  Any guesses?

Thank you in advance.

Chris

cadillac brake master with wilwood dual master.jpg

Tom,

I'd like to replace my master cylinder with a dual one.  I wasn't sure if the Wilwood dual master was only compatible with the Cadillac booster shown in the image.  But after further research, the Wilwood seems like it will fit the OEM booster.  I know, I know...the dual master from the second gen Riviera also works.  I sorta like the bling factor of the Wilwood but my wallet may not.

To answer your question, there is nothing wrong with my booster.

Chris

Chris,

The only problem you may run into is the length of the push-rod/pin on the booster. There is a deep & shallow M/C.  The pin in your booster is adjustable, BUT not by a heck of a lot in either direction.  A '67 M/C may also have two depth M/S's.  I installed disc brakes on my '64 Riv. back in the later 70's I pirated from a '70 Estate  wagon.  In my case I had to shorten the adjustable pin way more than the adjustment allowed.  This pin doesn't come out like the newer pins. To make any adjustments over & above the limits of the adjustment on the end of the pin the booster has to come completely apart.  This wasn't that hard for me even being the 1st. time, BUT then again I've been doing this stuff for 60 Years.

Tom T.

Tom,

I ended up picking up an AC Delco unit on Amazon.  I believe I have the Moraine Delco booster from the factory, not a Bendix.  Thank you for your input.

Chris

Chris,

If you have a screw on cap on the master that would be a Bendix setup. If you have the metal spring strap on the cap of the master that is the Moraine booster.

Tom Mooney

• Thanks 2

Tom,

I did a comparison of the piston depth from pictures on OReilly autos site.  I got it right!  That doesn't happen too often.  Thanks for the easier id method.

Chris