Photocell

I have a 88 coupe. My local dealer told me that my photocell needs to be replaced, and that it is the reason for my illuminated entry not working. He told me that it is no longer available. Does anyone know where I can get one?

The photo cell has nothing to do with the illuminated entry system. It's purpose in the 88-89 is to control the dimming of the panel lights at night. Here's an easy test. Turn on your lights in your dark garage. Is the dash dim? Back out of the garage in the day light with the lights still on. Do the panel lights get brighter? If yes, then there is nothing wrong with the photo cell. Something I think you should consider, is to purchase a shop manual. Armed with this book you can learn how all the systems work. Then you will know when someone is telling the truth or when they don't know what they are talking about as is the case now. Howard

I agree with Howard. You can test the Daylight Sensor in the BCM diagnostic mode. It is test BD44. The readings should be 15 or less in very bright light or sunlight and 90 or greater when covered with heavy cardboard or something similar.

If you get similar readings it is fine.