Mark Gregory

Is Bob Cummings Taylor - Aerocar in his TV show finally a Reality ?

World’s first car that can fly and drive 'with a top speed of 200mph in the air and 100mph on the ground' will be unveiled in Miami at a cost of $599,000- the first delivery is set for 2021

• The world's first 'fly and drive car' is set to make its US debut Tuesday night, December 3rd, in Miami, Florida
  • Pioneer Personal Air Landing Vehicle, or PAL-V, has retractable propellers so users can fly or drive 
  • The fly and drive car is already in production and being sold for $599,000 with 70 pre-orders to-date

image.png.044fd192da9018906d75a86409c7a788.png

World’s first car that can fly and drive 'with a top speed of 200mph in the air and 100mph on the ground' will be unveiled in Miami at a cost of $599,000- the first delivery is set for 2021

The world's first 'fly and drive car' is set to make its US debut Tuesday night, December 3rd, in Miami, Florida

Pioneer Personal Air Landing Vehicle, or PAL-V, has retractable propellers so users can fly or drive 

The fly and drive car is already in production and being sold for $599,000 with 70 pre-orders to-date

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

It was a reality in 1954. The problem was, it cost as much as a car plus an airplane, and it was a lousy car and a lousy airplane. The difference between the two is just too great to build both into one.

A 200-mph autogyro?  It boggles the mind.  Either the advancing blade would be supersonic or the retreating blade would be going backward.

Yep, an autogyro. Mostly went out of fashion by the 1940's. Some modern versions exist, but they aren't at all common compared to planes and helicopters. I guess the autogyro configuration has an advantage for flying cars since their rotors fold up more compactly than wings.

7 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

A 200-mph autogyro?  It boggles the mind.  Either the advancing blade would be supersonic or the retreating blade would be going backward.

It's all in how you do the math. with a hurricane force tailwind a 80mph air speed piper cub is a ground speed demon and with a good tailwind,  200mph ground speed with an autogyro is a very believable speed.

That much tailwind isn't something I want to be airborne in unless it's in a commercial jet, a LONG way up.  At some point, I'd have to turn around and land into that wind, and I'd be going backward over the ground.  I presume people who advertise speeds in aircraft are talking about airspeed.  In a rotary-wing aircraft, helicopter or autogyro, one blade of the main rotor is going forward relative to the fuselage and the other is going backward.  The blade going backward has to be moving at a helluvan rpm so that more than just the tip can generate lift.  If the other, advancing blade, is going the same rpm - which it will be - the airspeed of its tip is humongous, possibly supersonic.  I prefer to observe from the ground, well to the side of the flight path.

16 hours ago, Digger914 said:

It's all in how you do the math. with a hurricane force tailwind a 80mph air speed piper cub is a ground speed demon and with a good tailwind,  200mph ground speed with an autogyro is a very believable speed.

Ground speed is irrelevant to aerodynamics as is wind speed. An aerodynamic body sees only airspeed, I.E. the velocity of the air passing past the body..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Yugo is set to release their version about the same time.:lol:

Now there's a practical mode of transportation. 😄

13 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Now there's a practical mode of transportation. 😄

Still working on the placement of the warning stickers. About where to keep your hands during operation.

Isn't there a personal man sized drone out there someplace?

Seems I saw a short clip of one that peeked my interest not long ago.

The Air and Space museum near me has a couple of one man drone looking things that I think were from WWII.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Xander, your Go Go Gadget clip shows an alarming modification of a weed-whacker...a Helicopter On Your Head. The 20s and 30s autogyros and 1960s Bensen Gyrocopters are a lot more flyable, in my opinion, the latter built in the thousands.  

image.jpeg.68b678bc6f7923eecf8eb0806b9714c9.jpeg....someone flew one of these eggbeaters across the country in 10 days 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Bob Cummings drove/flew a Taylor - Aero Car. There were 5 built and 4 still exists including the one Bob used on his show. Here is a brief history.

Aero Car-2.jpg

Aero Car-1.jpg