1930 Chrysler 77 Engine Colour

Sasha39

Hi lambroast,

As I said in my post unfortunately not mine, I am only trying to help a fellow forum member get some information and some spare parts,

He recently purchase the car via eBay and now has the car over in Hungary.

If interested here is the car that he bought:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-Chrysler-Series-65-/202773631343?hash=item2f3640116f%3Ag%3AZuEAAOSwlWJdc8tS&nma=true&si=6kA2zxhsmH%2FZdtKKoXRTvupveyM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Cheers to all.

Yes that is correct is a model 65, there was some confusion about which engine it had that's all. I am however confused as it says that the Vin number is 187341 but that's the engine number, I got him to send me a photo of the Fedco badge, if anyone with good eyes wants to have a guess? LL6?1R the ? looks like a 4 to me.

So I would had though that the VIN would have been 776419 any comments would be welcomed.

Thank you Gentlemen.

Engine.jpg

Fedco.jpg

Hey mate, shouldn't the engine number have a different letter prefix to a 'P' if its a 77, maybe a 'Q'?

Also, the starter motor, from your engine pic above, has the single locating pin style of bolt, I thought later engines to 62/65 models used the more standard 2 bolts to secure the starter. 

Edited by maok (see edit history)

Hi maok,

No it's not a 77 it's a 65 so prefix P is correct, the confusion came about because he said that the bought himself a modal 77 manual and I though that he bought a modal 77 but when he sent through the photos I saw it was a model 65, as for the starter the 65's only had the single locating bolt.

He is over in Hungary so communicating is a bit difficult at times, but you know mw I'm willing to help anyone who cares to ask for help.

Cheers Mate!  

• Like 1

No worries. I thought it was a model 65 with the question mark about the engine being a 77 engine.

FYI, the 62 (and maybe the previous year models as well) has the single bolt starter as well.

Quote Sherwood Kahlenberg back in the 80s on Series 65 engines: "Use Ford c56 Meadowgreen color for block and main parts, silver for top and water channel covers, black for auxiliaries". This also fits well with some further S65s cars I have seen. I am a bit embarrassed that I could not find a nicer engine picture. As can be seen, my engine had some flaking after two years usage. It is corrected now, I also painted the generator flanges black during the update.

369511443_S65engineP-213974fromCT(2).thumb.jpg.f5f7ba7d7abc37d467bf5b0cfbeee4b7.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Narve, 

For the update and the photo, you learn something new everyday, hope all is well and that you are getting ready for you Winter, unfortunately here in Australia we are hitting high 30 degrees and plagued with Bushfires and we're only starting Summer. In your photo the control rod at the base of the steering box is that the choke or advance and retard control?

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and helping as you do.

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)

I had a local paint supply company color-match this shade of blue/grey based on top cover of transmission, which having been protected from the elements for 90 years was the only true representation of my 1931 Chrysler CD8 engine's color. They could not make a custom "engine enamel", so made a pint of this color in an automotive paint for $15Can. I first sprayed the engine with an off-the-shelf light grey rattle can engine enamel, and then brushed on this finish. Let it cure for 2 weeks. Looks great, have since started and run engine a couple of times with no peeling. If you are able to take a copy of my pics, you may be able to get a supplier to match. I looked at some similar engine enamels available from Hirsch (Ford enamels etc) but no one would ship to Canada.

IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5611.JPG

IMG_5615.JPG

On 12/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, Sasha39 said:

In your photo the control rod at the base of the steering box is that the choke or advance and retard control?

here is a picture of my previous Series 65. Again the after-picture was dizzy, so this one is the prior and shows the effects of a brake fluid leak. However, this car has all the steering box rods in place. The long one leaning left is for advance/retard (never used as long as the starter works well), the short vertical one which also can be seen in the other car is the hand throttle. As for type of paint, I am still using the 1L can of 1-pack car paint ("synthetic") I bought in 1982 which will work well unless the block decides to sweat oil and maybe trapped water.

1986493914_CR180919MekkeCR-IIfrEkeberg(1).thumb.jpg.f0a3999703775ab0fc47f6085a57c893.jpg

And the Australian bush-fires are on the Norwegian news. Rather strange to view as we in Norway are fighting icy roads or as it was today, 10 cm of sleet.

14 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I had a local paint supply company color-match this shade of blue/grey based on top cover of transmission, which having been protected from the elements for 90 years was the only true representation of my 1931 Chrysler CD8 engine's color.

I concur that the blue/grey color looks correct for a 1931, while I think the 1929s should have a more greenish color (e.g. Ford Meadowgreen). I also think a good '31 match with a name to it has been stated previously?

The bluegreen color shown by Gunsmoke is indeed the correct color for eight cylinder cars from 31 to 33, both standard eights and Imperial eights. However, the four and six cylinder engines prior to 1930 were finished in black. This is according to specs put out by the WPC Club in 1994.

• Like 1

• Sasha39 changed the title to 1930 Chrysler 77 Engine Colour

Your engine looks superb Chris, maybe the crankcase vent tube should be black - being an "auxiliary"? Glad the head could be used, it was from a Canadian Roadster I bought for spares which had been off the road since late 50s and had a gaping hole in the block where one of the conrods had become unhinged.

Might this engine have been painted assembled in one piece? So the valve covers were engine colour as was the vent tube. The exception is those with a different coloured head. The water outlet would have been engine colour as would the manifolds, but of course the exhaust paint burnt off straight away. The water pump also the same colour, including one side of the gland nut that was "up" when the engine was painted. The sump was engine colour too.

This is my understanding of how the 1930 Dodge Brothers 8 engine was painted.