Walt G

They were just old cars - images of the era

My Moms family about 1938, my mother was not born yet, she was the youngest of 6.  The 1933 Graham stayed in the family till 1952?  Grandpa sold her when she was old enough to vote (21 back then?)...got her back in the family in 2001.

image.png.a000fba5182dafec08e03cf79cc45b13.png

• Like 6

A cousin to the Mack truck, Maccar made in Scranton PA.  Found the photo at an antique shop.

9005B411-4100-4B6D-AC13-21F1650107C8.jpeg

• Like 4

One last photograph.

This was taken in France in 1934, I do not know the location. The car on the post is a Ford. The rear of the car in the distance that you see with the oversized trunk for the trunk rack was owned by the fellow that took the photo. That car is a 1934 Lincoln convertible sedan,owner was author John J. Ide an American who was an automotive journalist and frequent contributor to the magazine Motor Life & Motor Print.  I have several photos of the cars he owned  - more of the Lincoln, a late 1930s Bentley, and a 1920s Hispano Suiza limousine that he bought  in France on one of his numerous trips there - that car had a Kellner body. Ide would go over to attend the annual Paris salon /motor show.

I know some of you who may view this may think - wow, what a way to advertise the AACA annual Eastern Fall meet at Hershey , or perhaps to have it in front of the new headquarters, but perhaps I should stop comments right now!🙃

FordtonpostinEuropeIDE001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Sure looks like an old mining town I went thru in 2010. Austin Nevada.  Anyone from there or been there, agree?

16ED3A17-A4AF-4C45-BB2F-81BFFBF993A9.png

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Sure looks like an old mining town I went thru in 2010. Austin Nevada.  Anyone from there or been there, agree?

16ED3A17-A4AF-4C45-BB2F-81BFFBF993A9.png

Holy cow. I just zoomed in. Far left of photo, sign reads “Austin Cafe”.  

By chance I saw this image online earlier this year. I liked it.  It reminded me of Austin. As mentioned, I drove thru there in about 2010.  Stopped for lunch in a really cool old original wild west type saloon.

I remember the story the locals told me about the huge antique wood bar that they shipped in from Africa. Way back in the day...On a boat that went down around Argentina. The saloon is Cool spot. Be sure to check it out. Time seems to stand still at that saloon.  That may be the saloon  in the pic above. Late 30’s by the looks of the cars in the photo.  Still there today!

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

On 12/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, Walt G said:

My sincere thanks to all who have contributed to this post and also to all of you who are looking at it , I really appreciate and am amazed at the genuine enthusiasm and great comments ! It shows what all of you enjoy but perhaps don't get a chance to see enough of. SHARING THE WEALTH  - of our collections and interest in marvelous old machinery. I hope to add at least one or maybe two period images from my archives every week or ten days or so. Here is a Federal truck for all the people who like commercial vehicles , photo dates from 1940.

1940Federaltruck panel AA001.jpg

On 12/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, Dosmo said:

Wow - for me, that Federal Panel truck takes the cake.  Outstanding! 

According to the livery, it takes the bread.  😁  Maybe not a PC brand of cargo but a cool truck.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

On 12/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, TerryB said:

The photo of the car, the bill of sale and accessories purchased.  From a collection given to me by a late friend.

03A726AF-0BE4-4CC0-925D-A9FCD3A9235E.jpeg

66F9357F-C3C3-42F9-B48A-D0527CFE5D5D.jpeg

8D24395E-2C0F-4A6F-BD1E-C8FA9469564D.jpeg

On 12/4/2019 at 10:30 AM, Walt G said:

Terry

This is great , I wonder if the building that that Chevrolet dealership was located in still exists in essentially the same format/look it had then.

Walt

Mr Shue traded a Ford for a CHEVY??!!  :o  I assume the Dunlop tire/tube was the spare but what's a "Weed" bumper?  Brand name?  Or given the location of the picture, maybe it really was for bumping weeds.  🤣

Anyway, I didn't find any pix of the dealership, then or now.  But Longenecker was quite the entrepreneur.  Here he is in the Marion-Handley he drove from the factory in Jackson MI - apparently he was a distributor for the make as well as several others.

70064257_1486401261.jpg

And here he is with his Scripps-Booth "Road-O-Plane".  It was built as a non-flying parade float but some folks, thinking it was real, contacted him wanting to buy or build one.  🤣

LR20170216_CoryRoadOPlane-1.jpg

More info on J F - https://lititzrecord.com/news/john-longenecker-road-o-plane/

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)

5 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

but what's a "Weed" bumper?  Brand name?  Or given the location of the picture, maybe it really was for bumping weeds.  🤣

Yes, a brand name. Weed is best known today (well, a few years back?) for Weed Tire Chains. Back in the 1920s, they manufactured not only tire chains, but quite an assortment of automotive accessories. These were sold both after-market in automotive stores and directly to automobile manufacturers for either optional or standard equipment. Accessories included but were not limited to shock absorbers and bumpers. Although it does not have the Weed name on it, research some years back, I found that the bumpers on my '27 Paige were Weed bumpers.