Walt G

They were just old cars - images of the era

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed

Was that Pierce-Arrow Twelve phaeton body an in-house job or by Brunn or Willoughby?   I recall a small photo of it in any early SIA magazine at a meet, maybe Watkins Glen races.

Factory in house job.......but a factory Pierce body was usually better construction than 90 percent of the custom shops. They built three special 7passenger touring cars for FDR.........one is still with us.......I tried to buy it twenty years ago, but that’s another story. Sadly, it’s no longer in the US.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

My other (3rd) Grandmother in her 1938 Chevrolet....odd that two of my Grandmothers had the first name of Fern....

Picture 26209.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ed

Would you please elaborate on what methods, materials and details that made Pierce-Arrow's body construction superior to contemporary makes.

Glad to know at least one of the three special phaetons still is extant.  Sorry to hear it is no longer in the U.S. given its historical significance. 

My Dad's 1st car taken at the farm with his dog Peg.

He nick named the car his "Cuddle Buggy".

When he cruised Up Town and came across the girls and they wanted a ride, he would say, "No cuddle, no buggy".

He cut that out by the time he met my mother. hahaha

566149648_1926ModelT-TheCuddleBuggy-1941.thumb.jpg.0b7f57482a712e39dc50ffcee0a290d7.jpg

Same car with his buddies in front of the High School.

361683104_CCF06022015-Copy2.thumb.jpg.e16f25fbf5c7a180350320c71a74a7bf.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Wonder what the rest of the story is with this Hupmobile. Bob 

3 5 1.jpg

The radiator and tire shields shows up on prohibition-era police cars used to fight organized crime, presumably anticipating shoot-outs.  The Hupmobile looks to be a 1930-'31 Model H phaeton with body by Raulang.  Note the sweeping cut-line on the front door.    They were powered by a 133 hp, 365 ci straight eight.  The driver appears to be in police uniform.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Wonder what the rest of the story is with this Hupmobile. Bob 

3 5 1.jpg

Looks like armor plating. Windshield looks like it might be bullet proof as well.  Looks like a gunport even. Top is probably armored underneath as well. 

• Like 3

Another of my great uncles... Bob Pendleton. In his 20s he was the chauffeur for a wealthy family in New London, Connecticut. He drove this Locomobile...

1839766592_UncleBobbigcar.thumb.jpg.d50f92e5f13426163b98ca39bfc3c556.jpg

The family also bought this runabout for him to do minor errands...

63802655_UncleBob.thumb.jpg.a765bc1e02ed36381d401e29c3cb39d7.jpg

I think its an early Hudson but could be wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed

Would you please elaborate on what methods, materials and details that made Pierce-Arrow's body construction superior to contemporary makes.

Glad to know at least one of the three special phaetons still is extant.  Sorry to hear it is no longer in the U.S. given its historical significance. 

I’m in Florida so I can’t post photos. Pierce Arrow used a unusual type of wood joint through the entire car. No lap or but joints. It’s similar to a finger and groove with a taper, that was glued and screwed together and then reinforced with castings or steal brackets. Everywhere the wood came into contact with metal, they used a lead infused type of canvas between the wood and brackets, supports, vertical castings,ect........all done to prevent squeaks and rattles. The had the best in house coachwork of the era.........better than most of the custom shops. My all original 1929 didn’t rattle or squeak, had no wood or door issues. Have you ever seen a door hinge that had a grease fitting that was rifle drilled, cross drilled, and then has a ground channel on the surface of the door hung pin? The pin then went into bronze bushings that were pressed into the cast steel hinge. No one in the industry had anything close.......not even Rollston or Brewster. My all original one off 1933 LeBaron EDL with 33k on the clock that had fantastic storage since day one had rattles and squeaks in it...........and the car was their top of the line machine.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I’m in Florida so I can’t post photos. Pierce Arrow used a unusual type of wood joint through the entire car. No lap or but joints. It’s similar to a finger and groove with a taper, that was glued and screwed together and then reinforced with castings or steal brackets. Everywhere the wood came into contact with metal, they used a lead infused type of canvas between the wood and brackets, supports, vertical castings,ect........all done to prevent squeaks and rattles. The had the best in house coachwork of the era.........better than most of the custom shops. My all original 1929 didn’t rattle or squeak, had no wood or door issues. Have you ever seen a door hinge that had a grease fitting that was rifle drilled, cross drilled, and then has a ground channel on the surface of the door hinge pin? The pin then went into bronze bushings that were pressed into the cast steel hinge. No one in the industry had anything close.......not even Rollston or Brewster. My all original one off 1933 LeBaron EDL with 33k on the clock that had fantastic storage since day one had rattles and squeaks in it...........and the car was their top of the line machine.

Another detail, the brake can clutch pedal on a pierce rotate on a shaft on the side of the transmission, and they have grease cups for lubrication..............only difference is a Pierce Arrow has Torrington roller bearings that the pedals rotate on.......not bushings like Rolls Royce, or bare steel on steel like most cars. Then again, a Pierce 12 has roller bearings in the distributor also......no bushings. I could go on.........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

Another of my great uncles... Bob Pendleton. In his 20s he was the chauffeur for a wealthy family in New London, Connecticut. He drove this Locomobile...

1839766592_UncleBobbigcar.thumb.jpg.d50f92e5f13426163b98ca39bfc3c556.jpg

The family also bought this runabout for him to do minor errands...

63802655_UncleBob.thumb.jpg.a765bc1e02ed36381d401e29c3cb39d7.jpg

I think its an early Hudson but could be wrong.

Yep....about a 1909 or 1910 Hudson.

My Mother-in-law is a few months old in this photo from when she migrated to Oregon from Oklahoma in about 1927....

Picture 896.jpg

• Like 1

This is one of my favorite early photos in my collection.  It shows an unknown car parked in front of the Robert Holmes Garage. I like it because the sign painted on the wall advertises Steam, Electric, and Gasoline Automobiles. 

If you know the car and location, don't hesitate to chime in.  Could it be a Winton?

Terry

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

This is one of my favorite early photos in my collection.  It shows an unknown car parked in front of the Robert Holmes Garage. I like it because the sign painted on the wall advertises Steam, Electric, and Gasoline Automobiles. 

If you know the car and location, don't hesitate to chime in.  Could it be a Winton?

Terry

image.png

Looks to be a 1905 Winton A.

1905 Winton.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Another detail, the brake can clutch pedal on a pierce rotate on a shaft on the side of the transmission, and they have grease cups for lubrication..............only difference is a Pierce Arrow has Torrington roller bearings that the pedals rotate on.......not bushings like Rolls Royce, or bare steel on steel like most cars. Then again, a Pierce 12 has roller bearings in the distributor also......no bushings. I could go on.........

Ed

Thanks for elaborating on the details that made their construction methods superior.  Was this true right through to the last car?

Yes, Pierce never built a less expensive line of cars, and the quality continued to the end.

• Like 1

Here is a friend and his wife pictured in 1941

with their 1936 Oldsmobile;  and, interestingly,

the same pose in current times.  He still owns and

drives the car which he acquired new in December

of 1935.

"Then and Now" pictures can be especially interesting.

Irenee and Barbara 1941.jpg

Irenee and Barbara 2009.jpg

• Like 5

The photo of the car, the bill of sale and accessories purchased.  From a collection given to me by a late friend.

03A726AF-0BE4-4CC0-925D-A9FCD3A9235E.jpeg

66F9357F-C3C3-42F9-B48A-D0527CFE5D5D.jpeg

8D24395E-2C0F-4A6F-BD1E-C8FA9469564D.jpeg

• Like 3

Terry

This is great , I wonder if the building that that Chevrolet dealership was located in still exists in essentially the same format/look it had then.

Walt