Sign in to follow this  
1957buickjim

Aftermarket AC installation in a 1957 Buick..

Has anybody installed an aftermarket AC system in a 1957 Buick (Non-air vehicle)? Looking for what system fits, while trying to maintain as much of the original controls (modified -ok) and venting as possible. Not looking to put an underdash pod with 4 vents, but something hidden to most extent and hooked up to the factory defrost and dash vents.

I did see the article by KAD36

on how he did it in his 55 Buick, which prompted me to investigate this for my 57. However, space claim and under dash area is much reduced in a 57, so his approach and system, would not work.

Looking for anybody who might have done this with a 57 and getting some tips and info. Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't know who the guy is but there's someone making firewall mounted AC systems. You could reach out to him on ebay and see if he'd be interested in making something for you. He's done 54-56 buick, olds and cadillacs so far. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! I will look him up to see if any of that might work. Is it possible to get a name or something? Not sure what to look up on eBay for something like that. Thanks!

Edited by 1957buickjim
needed additional details (see edit history)

Sorry, I've just searched 1956 Buick air conditioning and it always pops up. I don't know if he is a member her or not, but he also made modern brake systems, too.

Watching your results with anticipation Jim as I want to install air in my non air black Limited at some point also.

So, what space did the components for the factory AC cars use?  You need to find space for a substantial unit.  I found a very small unit at Nostalgic AC for my 51 Ford F-1 truck.  I cools the small cab well enough but is very noisy even on the lowest fan speed (that is not a big deal in this vehicle which is primitive, noisy, rattly...).  Don't discount the under dash units:  there some that look period correct as aftermarket and there are slim-line units too.

• Like 3

1956322, Thanks! After reviewing what he did, I may try another path, in a similar method to incorporate it. His approach gives me some ideas on how to make it stock looking.