Sign in to follow this  
mercer09

pierce for sale-patina...........

10 hours ago, zepher said:

I don't know why but 29 - 32 Pierce Arrows do not bring the big dollars that cars like Packard and Rolls Royce.

You should talk to the Lincoln guys!

10 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

We exchanged a few emails - Price is $ 49,500 and from discussion sounds to be firm.  http://www.vaultcars.com/category/cars-for-sale 

Its a good car........ at a very fair price............. I have a customer looking at it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I think John's point was that a finished car is a better buy no matter what the price.

Thanks Matt - That was exactly my point and whatever the problems this restored PA has they are much easier to deal with than a totally unrestored car, plus at $49,500 (for a CCCA winning car) http://www.vaultcars.com/1930-pierce-arrow-model-a-7-passenger-sedan-144m  you cannot get the unrestored car near the condition as the restored one.   Example: My last chrome bill alone was pushing 25K, top and interior near the same, body work/paint/assembly 3 times that - and I am pretty resourceful, thrifty with the checkbook, and spend hours upon hours doing things myself to minimize costs too.  

And, this restored Sedan, also a AACA and CCCA winning car was also a good deal and better use of money at $49.500 - https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf19/hershey/lots/r0130-1931-pierce-arrow-model-43-five-passenger-sedan/781361

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

Or the Franklin guys..........

1 minute ago, Matt Harwood said:

We sold this Lincoln in the 40's   A super nice restoration that exceeded 100K (on top of the purchase price for the car) and while it was not quite finished and needed some upgrading to engine compartment and undercarriage, the core work of paint, chrome, and interior, and ... were AACA and CCCA 99 to 100 point range and I estimated that probably 3-4 weekends and 5K you would be winning some serious awards.  Plus, it had always from day one been an exceptionally well cared for car.  We had it for sale for over a year.    http://www.significantcars.com/cars/1940lincoln4/

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Or the Franklin guys..........

Having restored perhaps one of the top 10 highest priced Franklins I understand well - the bulk of the cars are generally factory closed coachwork and the engineering is not for everyone, that said they are impressive cars and they have a fabulous club (geared heavily toward families and driving). Also, they very rarely change hands outside of the Franklin club - a well known  car to the Club is generally spoken for 10 times over. 

11 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Its a good car........ at a very fair price............. I have a customer looking at it.

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a sidenote:  the unrestored PA that started this thread does have  many redeeming points such as running/driving, seems to have really nice fenders, pretty complete, and ....

11 hours ago, zepher said:

I don't know why but 29 - 32 Pierce Arrows do not bring the big dollars that cars like Packard and Rolls Royce.

Well, RR market is pretty weak at moment too - very challenging in engineering/complexity cars matched to lots of torque, but limited top end - I can go into much more detail as well as to "why."

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Having restored perhaps one of the top 10 highest priced Franklins I understand well - the bulk of the cars are generally factory closed coachwork and the engineering is not for everyone, that said they are impressive cars and they have a fabulous club (geared heavily toward families and driving). Also, they very rarely change hands outside of the Franklin club - a well known  car to the Club is generally spoken for 10 times over. 

One of my uncles is Franklin fanatic and has owned probably around a dozen over the years.

He is always talking about what great drivers they are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

With all due respect to the Lincoln guys, I don't think Lincolns are in the same league as the Pierce Arrows are.

6 minutes ago, zepher said:

With all due respect to the Lincoln guys, I don't think Lincolns are in the same league as the Pierce Arrows are.

Depends on the year - a "Classic Era" Continental is just a scaled up Ford with a nicer interior and ... (ie the engineer designing the Ford could have just as easily been the same engineer designing the Lincoln). That being said, a PA is a particularly well built car (all be it they are not fault free - just as every car ever made is not fault free). 

Ex. A 1932 KB Twelve is a fine car !

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

A man who drives a Pierce Arrow envies no one..............enough said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, zepher said:

I dunno...as Jack Passey points out there were a couple 3 or so years there where Lincoln was drinking deep from the Ford well and dedicating some tremendous resources to their build quality.  Aside from  Cadillac with their multi cylinder cars was there any other Domestic manufacturer investing those types of dollars in their product at the outset of the Depression?

Well, if you look at having deep pockets when developing a prestige brand car, it's not always an advantage. Look at Cadillac and them running the Johnson carburators , and Lincoln running the fork and blade engine so late without updates.........it cuts both ways.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, edinmass said:

A man who drives a Pierce Arrow envies no one..............enough said.

😀 Yeah, That's what I'm talking about. Yeah. 😀 Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Depends on the year - a "Classic Era" Continental is just a scaled up Ford with a nicer interior and ... (ie the engineer designing the Ford could have just as easily been the same engineer designing the Lincoln). That being said, a PA is a particularly well built car (all be it they are not fault free - just as every car ever made is not fault free). 

Ex. A 1932 KB Twelve is a fine car !

John I agree....a 1932 KB is a fantastic car...........

I disagree with finding a fault on a Pierce Arrow..............Hey.....someone has to wave the flag!

What's great about this site is there are so many people with such diverse passions........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Putting a price on a Vehicle with "patina" isn't always easy. My 1925 White truck has more "Patina" than most. But that rusty old thing runs like a clock. It attracts a lot of attention at every show I take it to. We probably paid too much for it at the time. It was actually a Christmas Gift from my better other half. I arranged acquiring and paying for it with funds that she provided, but I can't possibly put a price on all the fun I have had with it. Where that is taken in consideration It was a cheap investment. I can't tell you how many dust collecting trophies I've brought home I guess for just what it is. Why they grant a trophy to that creampuff instead of the shiny cars to the left and right of it I really don't quite get but that is just the way it is. Not to worry, It's in inside storage for the winter. Dandy Dave!

IMG_1733.JPG

• Like 5

I agree with Dandy Dave, the fun factor always outweighs the costs... heck, I know several guys who fly around the country to play golf and several others with boats who routinely spend more than me on those things and they never worry about the return of investment. Just saying, if you like it go for it!

I thought about it, and wanted to post the fact that it's not how big an investment you have in the old cars, it's how you use it.   I realize that double entendre might apply, but the fact is, the statement is true regardless.....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, trimacar said:

I thought about it, and wanted to post the fact that it's not how big an investment you have in the old cars, it's how you use it.   I realize that double entendre might apply, but the fact is, the statement is true regardless.....

A lot of people never drive their cars - that is fine.  A lot of people buy what they can afford - that is fine.  A lot of cars never get done - that is fine.  And, ...  That all being said, I usually write for someone with a pre-WWII war car that has intentions of using it (it is for the most part my group of friends that I have know for my whole life).  And, you can run them too - sometimes it eats at the wallet, but very rewarding.  And, I love a well restored car, a well done project, some engineering smarts/resourcefulness (had a great conversation with a friend yesterday who decided to restore his own wire wheels for his Indian 4), and I love something revived. 

What I express caution on is such as  "wood structure" as it is not for everyone, mice hotels - bad for the health, unrealistic price expectation, excessive missing parts, unrealistic performance expectations, standing in your own way, and ...  And, you hear me preaching certain things just far exceed value if you dig into them.  Not a 100% fan of wood wheels either - they have their place on certain cars and on other cars they are just not what you really want on others.  Bad color choices get me going too - had a fellow doing a 1929 Packard cal me and spoke of bright red and I refrained from saying anything and possible good move as I saw the car and it was a nice color of bright red and actually looked good - we will see how it comes out long term. And, there are a few other things I preach on too.