Sign in to follow this  
kdml

'65 Headliner Install Questions

Going to begin installing a new headliner in my '65.  When I purchased the car the interior was made up of parts from two different cars with many parts in boxes.  I have two questions regarding the install:

1. The front and back edges of the headliner is stapled to thin wood strips.  I am missing some sections of wood strips.  I am going to make some pieces to replace what is missing.  What holds the wood strips to the car?  
  2. The instructions in the body manual state that the headliner should be held on around the doors and quarter windows with a plastic retainer.  I do not have any plastic retainers.  The instructions read: "11. Install plastic retainer along pinchweld flange of door and quarter window opening."  Does anyone know of an alternative for the retainers or whether glue will be enough? 

Thanks

Doug

7 minutes ago, kdml said:

Going to begin installing a new headliner in my '65.  When I purchased the car the interior was made up of parts from two different cars with many parts in boxes.  I have two questions regarding the install:

1. The front and back edges of the headliner is stapled to thin wood strips.  I am missing some sections of wood strips.  I am going to make some pieces to replace what is missing.  What holds the wood strips to the car?  
  2. The instructions in the body manual state that the headliner should be held on around the doors and quarter windows with a plastic retainer.  I do not have any plastic retainers.  The instructions read: "11. Install plastic retainer along pinchweld flange of door and quarter window opening."  Does anyone know of an alternative for the retainers or whether glue will be enough? 

Thanks

Doug

Do a search on this forum for the thread "headliner pinchweld clips". Both questions are answered there. The tack strips are not wood but, actually compressed paper or cardboard.

Bill