Sign in to follow this  
impacsys

26 S70 carb

hate to be a pest by posting new topic on near same topic :)

does the carb need an accelerator pump? The last carb I used was a Zenith with a vacuum accelerator pump that did no good. Thinking about just a plain, basic Zenith.

also designing an adaptor to mount carb flush with intake manifold. will get it 3D metal printed. will post pictures when done.

what say you?

Since you did not specify, going to assume this is for the 1926 Chrysler 70 under your username.

This would be an updraft carburetor. MOST updraft carburetors that have accelerator pumps use the vacuum accelerator pump FOR SAFETY! The main exception is the Carter BB-1, which I personally rate lower than the Zenith or the Stromberg with the vacuum accelerator pumps.

An engine with no more compression than yours doesn't need an accelerator pump.

Most folks use the accelerator pump to help start the car (downdraft carburetors).

Pumping the footfeed to help start a car with an updraft carburetor and a vacuum accelerator pump results in ankle exercise.

Pumping the footfeed to help start a car with an updraft carburetor and a mechanical accelerator pump PUMPS A VOLUME OF FUEL OUT THE AIR INTAKE ONTO THE GARAGE FLOOR UNDER THE ENGINE!

IF an engine with an updraft carburetor NEEDS an augmentation of fuel to help start the engine, the choke should be used.

A number of updraft carburetors use the accelerator pump in conjunction with the power enrichment circuit. Some of the less-expensive carburetors being sold today do not have the power enrichment circuit, which can lean to issues if one drives in hilly terrain, where wide-open-throttle is needed to climb a hill. Those residing in southern Illinois (where a mole-hill resembles a mountain ;) ) can generally get by without the power enrichment circuit.

Jon.

As to your adapter:

Do not know the cost of a 3D printer, but guessing way above my pay grade.

While adapters may be machined from a number of materials (cast iron, aluminum, brass, etc.), an easy method of producing an adapter is to acquire two worthless carburetors with cast iron throttle bodies at a swap meet, cut the throttle bodies just above the flanges, and weld the two pieces together. Rochester type B carbs come in both S.A.E. sizes 2 and 3; and make excellent donors if one needs these sizes.

Adapters for updrafts should be as short as possible; as the thicker the adapter, the more effect the adapter has on hard starting of the engine.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

thanks CarbKing!!!

can you recommend a Zenith or other carb without an accelerator pump and with a power enrichment circuit?

I presume based on your profile name and knowledge20191201_165953.thumb.jpg.3abd115171e5f62690bc5124ee28764c.jpg you may sell them. Let me know either way.

While I have your attention, I understand there is a heater of sorts on the intake. Picture attached..... Mine looks disconnected. thoughts.

Off the top of my head, the carbs that have the power enrichment circuit also have the accelerator pump.

EDIT: In the FWIW category, my favorite aftermarket updraft carb families are the Stromberg SF/SFM series, and the Zenith 63AW/263ME series. The Carter BB series is also good, as long as everyone understands one does NOT pump the footfeed to start the car.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)