1956 Century Power Steering Rag Joint

rmartens

After too many years on the bench, I sent out my steering gear box and pump out to Lares via Rock Auto for rebuilding.  Tried to follow the indentations in the rag joint to put everything back together properly including the copper contacts, but when I tested for continuity between steering box and the shaft in the steering column on the upstream side of the rag joint, I get nothing.  Shouldn't I have continuity--isn't that the point of the copper contacts?  Any pictures of what it should look like?

Thanks,

Rick 

There's no wiring per se at the rag joint, but in my case there are two copper straps, one that attaches to the larger centering post on the steering box side (12 o'clock in my photo) and one attached to the bolt at the 9 0'clock position that connects to the steering shaft side.  See the indentation at about the 5 o'clock position on the 9 o'clock hole.  I suspect at one point that was one continuous strip to provide a ground to the steering shaft. See second image--of rotated 90 degrees clockwise it's a close match for mine.  I suspect my two pieces were once one, although until I removed the steering box the horn worked so they must have been in contact with each other somehow.  I guess I'm looking for this copper grounding strap.  My alternate idea is a short wire with an eye at each end to connect one side of the joint to the other.

Thanks,

Rick

20191130_151541.jpg

91032412_L_15b87098.jpg

I have had the same experience as Lancemb. The first time I replaced the rag joint, I put it back in no issue. I then tried a steering box conversion and accidentally broke it, and when I buttoned everything up there was no difference whatsoever. Probably does as much good as those weird anti-static springs behind the dust caps on your front hubs.

• Thanks 1

Just replaced my coupling a couple of months ago. The rubber piece was absolutely gone. Wondered about the copper attachment also, since all I had was a broken piece? Put the new piece in, with out the copper strap, and my horn still works.. Here's a pic that I think Pete is talking about? Of the steering column? Not sure how it is for a "56 this is for a "57

20191202_190146.jpg

• Like 1