Trunk Release Shaft

DerekC

I'm installing the trunk release on my '65 which doesn't have this as a factory option. In order to install the truck release actuator I believe one must cut the metal trunk shaft shorter so that the actuator will fit. Is this true?

If so, I would like the option to be able to revert back to original. Does anyone know someone who might have one for sale? (Part# 12.252)

Thanks,

Derek

TrunkShaft.jpg

Edited by DerekC
part # (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, DerekC said:

I'm installing the trunk release on my '65 which doesn't have this as a factory option. In order to install the truck release actuator I believe one must cut the metal trunk shaft shorter so that the actuator will fit. Is this true?

If so, I would like the option to be able to revert back to original. Does anyone know someone who might have one for sale? (Part# 12.252)

Thanks,

Derek

TrunkShaft.jpg

You are correct. In order to be able to use the key you will have to shorten the original shaft so that it fits into the vacuum trunk actuator. Take the original shaft to your grinder and take off a small amount at a time and test fit it until you can fit it into the actuator and the trunk lock will fit properly into the body again. Contact one of the many vendors in the Riview and you should be able to get an extra trunk lock shaft if you want to revert back to original. You could always leave the original shaft out and just use the remote release but, it is always good to have 2 ways into the trunk because you never know...... I have installed a trunk release on my car and having both options comes in handy.

Bill

You can get that shaft from a parts house if you order a new lock cylinder, which isn't very expensive. I shortened mine when I added the vacuum trunk option this summer. Like the previous poster said, just take your time, and it should work fine.