out of state vehicle

shelbyone

If it is a 49 state emission legal vehicle, it must only pass federal standards. On a TC that is virtually the same as CA standards. The ECU has a different part number but the TC never was required to have EGR so as long as the vehicle is up to specs, it should pass CA emission standards. Your greatest concern would be a 30 year old catalytic converter.

• Like 1

Check with your state DMV and the one it's in. Procedures change from state to state. When i bought mine me and the owner had to go to a tag/registering place(Pennsylvania) and have the title work done prior to me taking possession of it. Both had to sigh the paperwork with a witness that worked there. Then had to get the title changed over to my state. Title work need to be done before registration.

• Like 1

When I drove my 91 from Louisiana to California I just went to the DMV locally to register it after going to get a smog check (which required a cat converter in 2003 on a TC with less than 40,000 miles due to that darn startup smoking from the 3L) they did a VIN check on the vehicle right then and I got my CA registration. I never switched the title to CA since it was already in my name.  My red 89 was already a CA title but I could never get it to run long enough to take for a smog check so could never get the car registered, DMV was happy to take the title transfer money and not issue a new title because of not getting a smog check.

Edited by ghostymosty (see edit history)
  • Like 1