alsancle

What kind of car guy do you self identify as and why

Sports cars. Austin Healy’s, MG’s, Alpha’s, E-type’s (in my dreams), Morgan’s, Lotus’s (but I can’t really fit), Z cars -260-280-300, Honda S-2000, until my back problems messed up my legs so now it’s pre-war affordable things like this 38 Studebaker. 

Have fun

Dave S 4131F0B1-001E-43E9-B18F-7DA0D60232A9.jpeg.e3808a69f5b9b605583322a8ae551b0e.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What, is there anything better than a Straight Buick? Really.:D

I am a Buick man! Period.   Like others have said, I like many , gas and diesel, two door, four door.  Trucks. I LIKE trucks.

Ben 

I came home from the hospital in a Model A in 1931 and remember to this day a couple things about it which occurred some years later when I was old enough to remember.  One was that the rear window winder of the Tudor got broken off by a trunk on the back seat during a vacation trip, another was what Dad did with matches in it.  He used wooden stick matches to prevent the choke pull rod from rattling in the hole it passed through, and when lighting up for a smoke he struck them on the ribbing of the dash.  One of my cars is a '31 Model A, perhaps somewhat of a nostalgia trip?  On two other instances I was absolutely stunned at my first sightings of 2 special cars.  The first a '37 Cord, observed as a pre-teen, the second an XK 120 Jaguar roadster as a college student in '49.  Specimens of both marques were had-to-haves, and accordingly examples of both are tucked away in my garage. 

Throughout my driving life I have always preferred 2 doors, 2 seats, top down, and that includes my '59 Karmann Ghia bought in 1966, a 1970Triumph TR6 bought new, 3 late 80's Merkur XR4TI's, and a 1990 Nissan 300ZX (sold 2 yrs ago). So Sports Car covers it for me. However when I decided to get into the old car restoration hobby, my interest was largely pre 1935, the end of the era of exposed fenders, mostly plain mechanical stuff, cars you can work on yourself. I'm not a high volume owner, just a 1931 Chevrolet (because it was available locally at a good price to restore), and my current project, a 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster (because it was found in a barn after a long search). I find this site is a great source of wonderful cars, their proud owners and technical expertise. I like 'em all, high end, low end, show, driver, rod, common or rare, you name it. 

I just had to have this "vintage limo" when I saw it in a toy store when I was ten years old. I repainted it green and painted the top black,using bristles from a paint brush in the top paint to give it that fabric look, all before I was fifteen. Years later,look what I own !

I was known in the local old car club as the "Ford Hater", because everyone seemed to have one, and I had to be different.I bought my '21 490 Chevy in 1972. I had to tone down the rhetoric ten years ago when I remarried .My wife worked at Ford dealers for fifty years and it's hard to explain the 2000 Mustang GT ragtop and the 2013 Escape in the fleet.

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

• Like 1

With a current varied collection from 2 Willys cars, a Nash and a '52 Ford F1 I'm still a die hard '58 Buick guy!

Like others have said, your 1st car does sway you and in my case keeping the first two '58's to this day quantifies me as a '58 Buick Car Guy!!

1047696412_1958BuickLimited-November1980-pic2-Copy.thumb.jpg.a7ae0b854496fd46d290f452c67f63b5.jpg

IMG_4645.thumb.JPG.243c90ac98bc005349bb956eda80c5a3.JPG

• Like 3

Pretty much always a Chevy guy.  Always like the style and performance of Chevy.  My dad was a MoPar fan so it’s not an inherited liking for the make.  So when I decided to buy a real collector vehicle it was...a Dodge!  1937 Dodge MC 1/2 ton.  My dad was shocked at the choice but the Dodge with its steel construction was one of the main reasons for the purchase.  No wood to deal with.  What I am really best known to friends for is being a motorcycle guy.  That was my #1 passion for decades.  Still have a 1964 Vespa and 1970 Yamaha Enduro despite any possible ability to ever ride them or any motorcycle again.  Today given my lack of mobility I’m a memorabilia and literature guy. 

As a Chevy guy, king of the drag strip 

F93672C1-CEAC-4730-BF0C-59C9AF90E8AB.jpeg

• Like 1

Great thread!  Three current interests for me:  (1) old Volvos (fits with Swedish heritage: I have two, a sedan that's been in family since new, and a sporty 1971 1800E), (2) pre-war American (my father was born in 1904, but was in his fifties when I was born, so I grew up hearing a lot about cars of the pre-war era; I don't have any right now, but do have a short list for when I retire and have more time/space -- likely a Model T and a late '30s Packard or Cadillac); and (3) auto books (hundreds, going back to early 1900s).  This forum is a fabulous resource for learning about early cars and how to deal with them today.  Thanks to all who share their knowledge!

IMG_3946.jpg

• Like 3

25-30 years ago I was a die-hard MOPAR guy... MOPAR or No Car!!! Owned several Chargers and a Road Runner plus my newer daily driver was a Plymouth, then a Dodge. Passed up some decent vehicles offered to me for sale but wasn't (at the time) interested in them due to my "MOPAR only" attitude.  1978 AMC Pacer with only 10,000 miles for $500.00. 1967 Pontiac Tempest convertible for $2000.00 in very good shape. 1968 Impala SS convertible (needed restored) for $750.00.  The list could go on. Had to do a major downsize when I bought my 1st house and sold all but 1 old car.

Now I have 6 old cars. 2 of them are AMC Marlins and 2 are Chrysler K-Car convertibles. I have been called crazy and weird to my face, wonder what they are saying behind my back? 

I like extremely well made cars, brass to about the late 20s. I have opinions about body styles but they are always secondary to the mechanical aspects... I'd take the stodgiest SG sedan over any mid-to late 30s Cord or V-16 Cadillac,  roadsters included. The failing here is that I cannot afford, nor will I ever be able to afford, what I like so I have to settle for trying to make the best of what I can get. None of the stuff I like has any relevance to my background. I do not come from a family where anyone was the slightest bit interested in cars other than as appliances...the muscle cars of my HS days didn't interest me then and don't now. I've never even seen an automobile race much less participated in one and I find modern cars a bore. I've also never been able to stand more than about 10 minutes of any car related TV show though I confess to have seen very few and then only when I'm stuck in a motel somewhere. In fact, I'm not really a "car guy" at all save in a narrow and increasingly marginalized way.

My first car when I started driving was a 1970 4dr Toyota Corona.  I didn't really care for the car since my friends had faster and more funner cars. I didn't have it too long since it wasn't very dependable and my dad got tired of working on it.  I saved up some money and my Junior year in high school my brother found me a 1965 Malibu SS for $700. The original motor and 4 speed trans were gone, but it was transplanted with a 66 GTO 389 engine with a Ford 3 speed top loader when I got it.  I had fun with it, raced a few folks on cruising nights and did pretty well. Needed rear quarters and other stuff, but being young I never had enough cash or a place to get it done up. I had to sell it when I went into the military.  I miss that one. I had a 1966 Chevy short bed fleet side truck too, that one had to be sold since it wasn't dependable at the time and I needed good wheels for getting to and from work.  Miss that one. Original 283 truck.  So you could say I'm a Chevy guy.  Have had a lot of them through the years. Still own some now. The Mercury was something that I liked and was different. Maybe I will convert to a Ford guy.  Maybe :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Old car guy.  Since my tastes cover a fairly wide range, its hard to pinpoint a single marque.   In my younger years I would have said tri five Chev or Corvette guy. Really though, my primary interest is pretty much any prewar car, 29 to 39 would be my favorite decade, for as long as I can remember.  That time frame trumps marque for me.  Been lucky enough to have had a few, Chevy, 3 Fords, Plymouth and one Packard prewar.  A Full Classic would be nice but there are others on the want list.  I also like traditional hot rods which by definition, are largely prewar Fords. 

Postwar preferences are sports cars and some other odds and ends.  I do think you get more out of the hobby if you are open minded, as Matt said.  

On the other hand, a HS pal just sent out the 68 Mustang he has owned since age 14, 43 years ago, for a pro restoration.  Only collector car he has ever owned and changing horses was never a consideration for him.  I might have done that but would have missed out on a lot of fun times and cars.... 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

As I get ready to roll on out the door to the first winter swap meet of the season (all of 6, 8 or on a good month 10, 12 vendors) I think about the social aspect and seeing other old car folk, also part of it.

Some might call me a Model A guy which probably fits just fine.  I am a semi expert on them and that made getting the second one a bit easier.  The A roadster checks a lot of boxes except for being really unique.  That said, popular cars are popular for a reason...  Off to find that treasure!  😁

My interest in vehicles runs more toward the 50's and 60's. Although I love looking at and learning about models from earlier times, I have not had a desire to buy one. Also being from a farming and oilfield area, trucks have always been interesting to me. so I guess I would identify as a truck guy. A few I/2 tons I have owned thru the years  are 46 and 50 model Fords, 55 and 58 Chevys, and a 69 Dodge that was my favorite. ! bought the Dodge in 1993 and it resided with my family for 14 years. 

22 hours ago, edinmass said:

Walt G is a coach work guy.

George Holman is a race car guy.

Walt is a good call on coachwork guy.

But George is a Stutz guy.   When I think Stutz,  I think of Ernie Toth,  John Grundfor and George plus a couple of other guys who's names are slipping past me.

12 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I like extremely well made cars, brass to about the late 20s. I have opinions about body styles but they are always secondary to the mechanical aspects...

Joe when I think of you the vision of a 10 HP Reo going down a 2 lane highway in 25 degree weather pops up.     Also,  anything after 1928 is probably going to be too new for you.

Actually, it was a 30HP Model R - the predecessor to "Reo the fifth".

j

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JV Puleo said:

Actually, it was a 30HP Model R - the predecessor to "Reo the fifth".

j

See,  this is where my issue is:  anything that is not as big as a fire truck engine falls in to the 10 HP bucket.

Was I right about you freezing your rear end off or am I embellishing?

It wasn't quite that cold but I was wearing a lined, heavy duster, a hat, goggles and heavy leather gauntlets & boots so I was almost impervious to the weather. I was a lot younger then too. I'm not sure I'd weather it as well today.

I say that as I head outside to change the alternator and belt on my truck... the alternator dies last night and I had to come home on a flat bed. The belt is so badly worn that I'd be a fool not to change it but its working outside, in the driveway and it's supposed to snow later today. I really hate modern cars.

jp

Edit...It's  amazing what being able to see the problem does. The idler pulley that puts tension on the serpentine belt had disintegrated. It just so happens that I have a "parts car" - my previous truck which I should have junked months ago but a tree fell on it. When I went to cut the tree up, the chain saw wouldn't start, so the truck with the blown engine is still there and I was able to scavenge the part. My real problem is that I live alone in a fairly rural area so if I have to go out for parts I'm really stuck.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I started out as a "Ford Guy" only because my Dad was one. That lasted through my first two cars and then I moved on and have never owned another Ford. If you go by quantity of cars bought and sold I guess I would be an "Oldsmobile Guy" as I have had more of them than any other make. As you can see by my signature list I have been deliberately eclectic, there is a long list of interesting cars in my head that is constantly changing. The few times I have bought duplicates of cars previously owned have generally been disappointing, although the 63 Olds Starfire currently up for sale kept me interested for 9 years. I really enjoy the discovery and education part of owning a car I have no knowledge about and solving problems on such a car is very satisfying, which is why I keep moving on to something else.  "So many cars---so little time"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

But George is a Stutz guy.   When I think Stutz,  I think of Ernie Toth,  John Grundfor and George plus a couple of other guys who's names are slipping past me

Would Richard Mitchell of Montgomery Texas Qualify as a "New" Stutz guy?  The last time I was at his home his 15-20 thousand sq foot of storage buildings were filled with Stutz automobiles including the 1929 Stutz, Lancefield Bodied, Supercharged Coupe custom build for the Woolworth Brothers.  Richards grandfather used modified Stutz automobiles to transport oilfield equipment across country in the 20's because of their reliability.

I started out as a Cadillac guy but fell off the wagon and now own Buick, Dodge, Pontiac, Corvette, Jag, and Oldsmobile along with two race cars and a 1912 Garford.  Time to start thinning the herd!!!

I would probably be the oddball guy.  I usually buy the unusual.  Not necessarily independents but like the Dodge Sportabout.  Hudson Pickup. The local guys were surprised when I ended up with a 40 Ford Coupe.  They figure when I told them I had a new car to show them it would be something unusual.   

15 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I would probably be the oddball guy.  I usually buy the unusual.  Not necessarily independents but like the Dodge Sportabout.  Hudson Pickup. The local guys were surprised when I ended up with a 40 Ford Coupe.  They figure when I told them I had a new car to show them it would be something unusual.   

I get it!  After buying a '74 Firebird, everybody thought I'd gone mainstream.  I try to explain that the '74-'76 models are the stepchildren of Second-Gen Firebirds, but nobody believes me.  :)