1938 Plym Transmission Technical Support

keithb7

Re my 1938 Plymouth Deluxe. I pulled my tranny to chase down drivetrain noise. I found a very worn clutch throwout bearing.  Unknown service history of the the car. Tranny was weeping a little. Thought I’d re-seal it all. Thinking about the main input shaft and output shaft roller ball bearings. Seeing as the tranny is out. Could all be original parts still.  

Can anyone confirm if the front main bearing can come out the front? Once the bearing retainer rings are removed. I’d rather not pull the shafts out and disassemble it much further than it is now. Seen below. This is where I’m at. Thx. 

380CA40E-E809-4824-B276-15F6C3B771F1.jpeg

72930F3C-CF8D-496E-862F-95022FD7C2F6.jpeg

Thanks @Spinneyhill. I have an earlier Motors Manual and an original Plymouth manual from 1938. I had a few questions on areas not covered in either manual. 

I read, and re-read everything and went for it. I found countershaft thrust washers with about .045” missing. Ground away. Leading to a sloppy countershaft gear set. 

Typical low/reverse gear clash from previous drivers gearing down into first while still rolling. Appears those gears will be salvageable. Awaiting arrival of new misc parts, bearings, seals gaskets etc, and reassembly will begin. I am looking forward to a tight smooth tranny again. 

04C6DCA6-E0B5-4DCB-93D7-0CC21F1D1026.jpeg

A51F066A-4E12-461B-94E9-E96D47C96576.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1