New Member from Australia

Rapps

Our Public Broadcast TV network has been airing the TV show “A Place Called Home” that is set in Australia.In a recent episode one of the main characters was in a late 1940s Buick.  It was right hand drive so it had to be an export model.  I never realized how many US makes found their way around the world.  Welcome to our forum.

Hello Terry B and keiser31

Thanks for the warm welcome. Us makes were the norm here for many years . Until we started our own manufacturing around 1948 US and British were what we had.

I believe most or our right hand drive vehicles came through Canada in the early days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rapps said:

Hello All

I have just purchased a 1946 Buick Right hand deive with straight 8 three on the tree. All stock and drives like a dream. I have started a bear metal respray as roof boot and bonnet have crazed.

Where are you located?

There are (separate) Au Buick clubs in many states

NSW  https://buickclub.org.au/

VIC https://www.buickcarclub.org.au/

QLD http://buickcarclubaustralia.com/

WA http://www.westernbuicks.org/

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Our Public Broadcast TV network has been airing the TV show “A Place Called Home” that is set in Australia.In a recent episode one of the main characters was in a late 1940s Buick.  It was right hand drive so it had to be an export model.  I never realized how many US makes found their way around the world.  Welcome to our forum.

Post war Buick's were Au assembled until 1948/49.

Pre war Au Buick's had locally made bodies, that were different to USA Fisher bodies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1939_Buick said:

Where are you located?

There are (separate) Au Buick clubs in many states

NSW  https://buickclub.org.au/

VIC https://www.buickcarclub.org.au/

QLD http://buickcarclubaustralia.com/

WA http://www.westernbuicks.org/

Post war Buick's were Au assembled until 1948/49.

Pre war Au Buick's had locally made bodies, that were different to USA Fisher bodies.

All done by Holdens. Norm Darwin's book The History of Holden covers it quite well.

• Like 1

Sometime in 1996 I had a 1941 4 door Buick century and registered member of Buick Club of  America. I was pleasantly surprised when a fellow from Mumbai India sent me a picture  of a 1941 4 door century right hand drive . He asked me for a picture of mine. In those days there was no technology yet like emailing pictures as we know it today. Welcome to the club. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the AACA forums, Rapps! I live in Ohio here in the USA, but have made some lifetime mates from the land down under. Some of them have come to stay at our home here in the states for weeks at a time, while exploring US car shows, junk yards, parts sellers, etc, etc. One such bloke is Grant Zippel, who drives a stock green 41 Buick coupe all over the place. He produces one of the bigger rod run events there, I believe. Wishing all the best to you. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

All done by Holdens. Norm Darwin's book The History of Holden covers it quite well.

As does Norn Dawin's 100 years of GM in Australia and Buick The Australia Story by 2 NSW Buick Club members

Buick The Australian story.jpg

100 years of GM in Australia_s.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick
re sizing images (see edit history)

That should make for a great read.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and can not wait to tap into the knowledge that is on these pages

As the respray continues I will post  more pictures, We are still under a bush fire threat here and must contend with that but so far still safe. It is only 9 km from our farm but the wind has been in our favor

( and fire fighters!) for a while

21 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Welcome fellow Aussie! Where abouts are you located? We're in Melbourne 

On 12/2/2019 at 8:20 PM, Julian1v said:

I like the survivor Falcon next to your beautiful  Buick as well! Is that an XK?

Thanks Julian  sorry for late reply We were pre occupied with fires.

The Falcon is a XL and is original. We have had as many people say to leave the paint alone that say paint it

Are you safe from fires there? It's on fire every where lately

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forums. Great to have you join us, lots of topics here, lots of opinions, personalities and egos but all are well meaning and wanting to help share the knowledge. I only know of two friends in Australia - one I do not have current contact information on but he is a Buick guy named Dave Norton who used to live in England. The other is a friend I have seen at the AACA Hershey flea market who does not own Buicks but is a master restorer . who collects Packard and Cadillacs. John King of Kilsyth. If you haven't joined the Buick Club of America - do so, you can get their teriffic monthly magazine by e mail , their editor Pete Phillips does and outstanding job with putting out an excellent publication!  I am a 1940s Buick owner as well.

• Like 1

While I do not know Dave Norton, I understand he is active with the Buick Queensland (or NSW?) club.

I think when he immigrated to Aust from UK the also bought with him the 37? Buick he owned in UK (but not 100.00% sure)

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

On 11/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, Rapps said:

Is it also best to get the 1940 buick workshop manual as there is a supplement book with the car for the '46

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual. All of it section by section. The pdf link does not work.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942-41

The oldcarmanualproject web site has other Buick manuals. Including the 1948-49, but section 4 is missing [Have not checked recently if S4 is now on the web site]

The teambuick site has a the 1952 manual in pdf, but may not be complete

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/index.php

https://www.teambuick.com/reference/library/52_shop/index.php

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Fire wise, we've been lucky so far but as I live across the road from 700 acres of wild scrub, we are always a bit on edge in the dry weather. Re the Falcon, to paint and restore or not, ... it's a hard one. There's a pleasing side to driving a car that shows its history. I had a VC Valiant a while back that was totally original... just a rectangular box without a hole drilled in it anywhere. No exterior mirrors, no aerial, even the radio blank plate still intact and totally original vinyl seats. I relented a tiny bit and drilled supports for seat belts but that was it, ( metal dashboards are not kind to people when there's an impact). I sold it to a young guy when I moved to China for work and told him to do the same. Don't touch it. It was what made it unique. I saw a photograph of it not long ago...  he couldn't leave it alone.  Now it looks like all the other ones around. Ah well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I am part of a car club here (restorers ). With a wide range of cars comes that knowledge and it is a big pool of experience. All we need to do is tap into it and ALL these vehicles get to stay around a little longer.

I have a 1961 EK Holden Ute , the 46 Buick , xl falcon , xp falcon , 1978 F100 XLT and a xf Panel van  so they all keep me busy

Re the Falcon I have rebuilt the original 144 engine , brakes and front end and it drives nice so it will probably get painted in original colors. As for patina I remember when we would have avoided our cars looking like that  GO FIGURE !

• Like 1

Thanks , I  have had quite a few American  cars and like the size mostly . We do get hit pretty hard on postage from dealers of parts over there and if I deal with private sellers the post is much lower ???

I wonder if the companies are taking some advantage.

There is quite a lot of parts available here for them

As for the running cost if that was a concern we would all have a volkswagon I suppose

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/29/2019 at 1:56 PM, lump said:

Welcome to the AACA forums, Rapps! I live in Ohio here in the USA, but have made some lifetime mates from the land down under. Some of them have come to stay at our home here in the states for weeks at a time, while exploring US car shows, junk yards, parts sellers, etc, etc. One such bloke is Grant Zippel, who drives a stock green 41 Buick coupe all over the place. He produces one of the bigger rod run events there, I believe. Wishing all the best to you. 

Is this Jim Wirth I'm responding to?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 11:48 AM, lump said:

It's me, Grant! Welcome aboard! 

Hi Jim, you pop up everywhere. Of course it had to be you. Love to  Della. Hope you're surviving these crazy times ok, but I know you've had to cancel some of your events sadly.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:48 AM, Grant Z said:

Hi Jim, you pop up everywhere. Of course it had to be you. Love to  Della. Hope you're surviving these crazy times ok, but I know you've had to cancel some of your events sadly.

Thanks, Grant. Yes, we cancelled our first three, and postponed another. But just this past Tuesday we got word that we'll be able to produce our CARS & PARTS SPRINGFIELD Swap Meet in Springfield, Ohio....NEXT Weekend! YIKES! I've been working all day and up until dark every single day, laying out vendor spaces, etc, etc, etc. This is work which normally takes more than a month...but this time I have about 7 days! Whew! 

7 hours ago, lump said:

Thanks, Grant. Yes, we cancelled our first three, and postponed another. But just this past Tuesday we got word that we'll be able to produce our CARS & PARTS SPRINGFIELD Swap Meet in Springfield, Ohio....NEXT Weekend! YIKES! I've been working all day and up until dark every single day, laying out vendor spaces, etc, etc, etc. This is work which normally takes more than a month...but this time I have about 7 days! Whew! 

That is great news. I'd love to be there to help you out. All the best my friend. Hope you don't read this before the weekend (you  haven't time).

On 6/19/2020 at 4:18 AM, Grant Z said:

That is great news. I'd love to be there to help you out. All the best my friend. Hope you don't read this before the weekend (you  haven't time).

Well...now it seems mother nature doesn't want to cooperate. Rain is predicted...after all we've been through. Don't know how much more we can take, frankly.