A project started by looking for one bolt

junkyardjeff

Over 30 years ago my grandfather gave me this bin full of bolts which I added many more and it was not organized so last night I started to,it looks like I am going to put all that will not fit in a bucket and deal with those as the need arises. I have a couple more boxes full and might be able to fill a 5 gallon bucket full.

100_9616.JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TerryB said:

You must be retired too, rearranging your nut and bolt collection is a popular pastime for for the retirement crowd.

Yes indeed, it indicates either (1) you've finished your projects or (2) that you know you have an otherwise irreplaceable bolt in the bin that you need NOW.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

You must be retired too, rearranging your nut and bolt collection is a popular pastime for for the retirement crowd.

When we had the estate sale for my dad several years ago, there must've been 3 dozen plastic milk jugs full of bolts, screws and nuts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

Doesn't take much to get a project started.  Finishing is a whole nother story.

I have a Vincent motorcycle project that started with being given a manual.  That's all I have so far, but its a Vincent project.  

I have a couple of Manx Norton bolts. Easy to tell from run of the mill British MC bolts, factory concave head scallop's. And some cambox  castings. In the last 30 years I have not been able

to add anything else. And yes, a factory parts book minus cover.  These days you can pretty much buy either a Manx or a Shadow brand new. Just bring lots of money. Been gathering up stuff for my 54 Gold Star since 

1987. About 85 % there but these days I don't have nearly as much interest in MC's as I had 30+ years ago. The Gold Star started with a rough bare frame. Lot's of swap meet's and a few lucky finds.

Greg in Canada

17 hours ago, JACK M said:

Step one, loose a bolt.

Step two, find the bucket and turn it upside down on a broad well ventilated area.

Step three, go to the hardware store.

Before Step 2, ensure more than ample lighting for our older eyes.

My eyes strain just looking at that top photo!

Craig

• Like 1

My grandfather never tossed anything until he saved every good nut bolt and screw, those buckets went with the farm when it got sold and I started my own bolt collection.

My friends, family and neighbors love my bolt buckets which are organized by small, medium, large and metric. Had to buy 4 self locking flange nuts at the hardware store last month and can't even guess at how many dollars my buckets have saved me over the years.

I had hardware in the shop, the house garage, & the basement, in dozens & dozens of various containers.
It really didn't take too long to sort & organize it once I got this piece, and other than a small collection in the basement, it's all in one spot. Bolts/nuts by size, cotter pins, springs, spacers, plugs, washers (S, M, L, lock), etc etc. Now, I can keep it organized, even if I bring home a new bucket of hardware.

DSC01305.jpg

• Like 1

Wife died. Lonely nights. 

Admit to yourself that you always hated digging through the 4-5 buckets of bolts to find the one that would correctly fit the 'bucket of bolts'. . . . 

Realize that you are now mad enough to do something about it. (because all you have now is time) 

Buy a group of metal draws like shown above from Craigslist

Buy a plastic gauge that can determine the bolt/nut size without guessing

Set up 4 other smaller buckets - write a tag on each showing the designated bolt size

Dump or dig - Pull out just one bolt/nut. Size it. Then throw it into the correct bin.  Dont worry about coarse of fine threads, that will be sorted later

Repeat, repeat, repeat. 

Watch buckets of bolts become smaller and smaller

Watch as feelings of loneliness dissipate and feelings of accomplishment increases. 

Repeat, repeat, repeat. 

Determine how many little drawers need to be allocated to hold each size. 

Place into drawers - now sorted by thread count. 

Two weeks later stop to admire and relish your finished accomplishment. 

Remind yourself that you still have it and you can begin working again on a real car project. 

Beam with satisfaction when working on a car and realize that you can find the needed bolt in moments rather than many minutes (if ever) 

Ask yourself why you didn't sort your hardware years ago.

• Like 5

I can take you to garage after garage of dissembled projects - my advise to someone new at this is to not get too carried away at disassemble and get one thing started before tackling the next.  it was always a joke here in Cincinnati that one of the most competent Roll-Royce shops in the Country would restore parts as they took the car apart - when they were at the end the whole car was sitting on a shelf restored and then they re-assembled. 

• Like 1