Riviera Prices Adjusted For CPI

RivieraBasePricesNormalized.png

Still beta, but getting close. Of course, it's no surprise that the sixth-generation 'verts were the most expensive Rivieras of all. What did surprise me was that the 1999 was the most expensive coupe even when adjusting for CPI. In constant dollars, the 1974 was the least expensive.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)
  • 5 months later...
On 11/27/2019 at 6:52 PM, J3Studio said:

RivieraBasePricesNormalized.png

Still beta, but getting close. Of course, it's no surprise that the sixth-generation 'verts are the most expensive Rivieras of all. What did surprise me was that the 1999 was the most expensive coupe even when adjusting for CPI. In constant dollars, the 1974 was the least expensive.

I am assuming the price of the vehicle would be in new condition adjusting for inflation based on today’s dollar. Pretty fancy work developing the solution in computer language and data gathering. I was always value and utility oriented as opposed to what the dollar was doing. Tough calculations keeping Up with inflation and measuring returns on investments. Thank you for your good work.

Turbinator

• Like 1

I don't see the 6th Generation convertibles bringing that kind of money.  Are these figures from auction results?  If so, that could be a reason for what I call a discrepancy. 

On the ROA website, there are quite a few Riviera convertibles in the classifieds. They range from $3,000 to $15,000. The highest priced ones were all DEALER ads, which have been around for a while, most individuals were asking between $6,000 to $9,000.  You can find the last generation Rivieras all day long for less than $5,000. There are a couple of ads on the website where dealers have dropped their prices on these last generation Rivieras by $1,000 over the price they last advertised on the site.  That means those cars have been sitting on the lot for over two months.  Why are the last generation prices so much higher than the first generation prices?  Something about those numbers is really skewed.

A couple of years ago I advertised my 1990, with Gold Package and Grand Touring suspension, for $5900. The car won best in class at the 2018 meet.  No interest. No one called with the idea of low balling it.  I'll keep it; it's a really comfortable driver and gets great mileage compared to the big V8s.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, telriv said:

Sorry, BUT it's 20 years + behind.

Compared to the final year of production—"normalized for 1999 CPI." Give me an hour or so and I'll convert it to 2020 dollars.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I don't see the 6th Generation convertibles bringing that kind of money.  Are these figures from auction results?  If so, that could be a reason for what I call a discrepancy.

Original base prices, normalized for 1999 CPI. No claim made that these represent current values.

Posted (edited)

Here you go—original base prices normalized for 2020 CPI. It does make the raw numbers look much more impressive than normalizing for 1999. And yes, the Riviera convertibles were expensive cars to buy new—you can get a C8 Corvette convertible for about the same price.

RivieraBasePricesFor2020.png

Do you have any information on the 1983 Riviera XX, Twentieth Anniversary Edition? The XX added more $$ to the base price of the coupe than the convertible did.  

Yep, the early models were a relative bargain by today’s standards. Now people spend $50K for something that just blends in.

18 hours ago, telriv said:

Sorry, BUT it's 20 years + behind.

It is true what you say; however it is a test of his software and calculations. Like a trial run to see what changes, etc. he has to make so it is 100%.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2020 at 7:18 PM, J3Studio said:

And thanks for all the interest!

This is cool.

I did something similar for my specific '63 Riviera with all of the options that are on it, bringing the price up to the present.

My accessories add almost $1,500 $1,250 to the Base Price of $4.333.  That would make my car, priced in 2020 dollars, be $61,500 $48,169, including the destination charge.  The A/C option alone added 10% to the Base Price.  Can you imagine today having them add 10% to the car's cost for A/C?

The fancy AM/FM radio in my Riv (cutting edge at the time) was a $3,600 $1,500 option in today's money.

Edited by Jim Cannon
Corrected lots of numbers. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jim,

Do you know what the sticker price was for your Riviera?  I think my 63 had all of the options except for a posi rear end and a rear window defroster.  What did you use to make your calculations?

Ed

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Jim,

Do you know what the sticker price was for your Riviera?  I think my 63 had all of the options except for a posi rear end and a rear window defroster.  What did you use to make your calculations?

Ed

Ed-

I collected prices of options from various sources over the years for the '63 Riv.

I put them in a spreadsheet and applied a CPI multiplier of 8.434 to go from November 1962 and today.

I do not have an original car sticker for my car. I just put into the spreadsheet the options my car has now.

45 minutes ago, Jim Cannon said:

Ed-

I collected prices of options from various sources over the years for the '63 Riv.

I put them in a spreadsheet and applied a CPI multiplier of 8.434 to go from November 1962 and today.

I do not have an original car sticker for my car. I just put into the spreadsheet the options my car has now.

I'll take my window sticker and apply the same 8.434 to everything and post what I come up with.

Thanks for the info.

Ed

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I'll take my window sticker and apply the same 8.434 to everything and post what I come up with.

Thanks for the info.

Ed

Ed, an easier way is to just add a zero to everything. What cost $20 in the 60s or early 70s is now $200. A $5,000 car is now $50,000

• Thanks 1
On 5/18/2020 at 9:02 PM, RivNut said:

Do you have any information on the 1983 Riviera XX, Twentieth Anniversary Edition? The XX added more $$ to the base price of the coupe than the convertible did.  

The 1983 XX Anniversary Edition Riviera was expensive, but not quite up to the eye-watering level of the convertible. The option itself was $3,759, making the minimum price for a XX Anniversary Edition $18,987. Of course, many went out the door with thousands of dollars of extra equipment, but so did many of the $24,960 base price convertibles.

In today's dollars, a XX Anniversary Edition is about $49,400. The 1999 Silver Arrow was actually more expensive in 2020 dollars—about $59,300.

Posted (edited)

Here's what I got from the window sticker for my 1963

code description 1963 price 2020 CPI index 8.434
  Base Price $4,333.00 $36,544.52
D4 Wonderbar radio w/ electric antenna $152.92 $1,289.72
H1 Electo-cruise $64.50 $543.99
H2 Corner lights $30.10 $253.86
I6 Soft-ray tinted glass $43.00 $362.66
J2 Power seat – 4 way tilt adjuster $70.95 $598.39
L1 Tilt steering wheel $43.00 $362.66
M9 Super deluxe wheel cover – cast aluminum $66.65 $562.13
N2 Air conditioner $430.00 $3,626.62
O7 Four note horn $27.95 $235.73
S7 Remote control outside rear view mirror $11.88 $100.20
T4 Oversize white sidewall tires $59.99 $505.95
U6 Power vents $53.75 $453.32
U7 Power windowss $107.50 $906.66
X1 Guidematic $43.00 $362.66
X2 Twilight sentinel $29.03 $244.84
Z4 Automatic trunk release $9.68 $81.64
** Custom trim with bucket seats in leather $188.13 $1,586.69

Destination charge $130.00 $1,096.42
  Total – not including dealer installed options    
  or accessories, state or local taxes, or    
  license fees $5,895.03 $49,718.68

Jim,

My car has about $1500 in options as well ($1432.03 to be exact) but when I multiplied the $5,95.03 X 8.434 I didn't come close to the $61,000 that you did.  It is a multiplication factor isn't it?  Even if the total price was an even $6,000 and the CPI was 9.0,  6x9=54 or $6,000x9=$54,000.   What I am I not doing? 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Jim,

My car has about $1500 in options as well ($1432.03 to be exact) but when I multiplied the $5,95.03 X 8.434 I didn't come close to the $61,000 that you did.  It is a multiplication factor isn't it?  Even if the total price was an even $6,000 and the CPI was 9.0,  6x9=54 or $6,000x9=$54,000.   What I am I not doing? 

Hi, Ed!

I had an error in my spreadsheet that was adding the cost of the options twice by accident. I also found where I had accidentally included some options that I did not have on my car. (This was an old spreadsheet and I don't know why I did that.) When I found that, based on your work, and fixed it, I come up with a price in 2020 dollars of $48,169 including destination charge for my car as it sits.

I will go edit my original post.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:03 PM, Jim Cannon said:

The A/C option alone added 10% to the Base Price.  Can you imagine today having them add 10% to the car's cost for A/C?

Sixties air conditioning could be crazily expensive. The automatic climate control air conditioner introduced in the middle of the 1966 model year was $484.15—that would be a $3,900 option nowadays. Air conditioning didn't become standard on the Riviera until 1978.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say having replaced all the AC components I could buy new in my 63 runs up the cost of the AC. Add in the work of getting the AC to turn out cold air can be another cost factor.

Cold air in the Riv in Maryland hot humid weather is worth every penny.

Turbinator

• Like 1