Jump to content

Restoration of Victory Six sports roadster.


Recommended Posts

Matt, we are going to have to include a translation chart somewhere on this site. I have to think too hard what you guys are taking about when you say hood instead of roof. Our hood covers the engine. I am not even going to ask why you call it a dicky seat. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Upholstery looks great !!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share how your going about this part of the restoration. Like you I am going to do my own upholstery, so very interested to see your progress.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You blokes should get a Pommy (British) car as well to really help the confusion. Meaning the same thing of course  are Wings/Mudguards/Fenders, Lights/Windows, Boots/Gaiters, etc. etc. Really keeps you on your toes. Maybe that's why I sold my Pommy car!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone from England is called a "Pom" in Australia, thus "Pommy Car" is one that originated in England. Mind you, I like the idea that we all have our own terms for things, maintains our sense of identity. Occurs within countries as well of course, some time back I worked in Sydney in my lifelong industry (Telecommunications) and they also had different names for things. Took me months to work some of them out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What’s the difference between a pommy and a jet landing in Australia. 
 

 

The jet stops whining after it lands. 😂🤣

That excludes you to by the way Rich. 
we may as well throw windscreen in there also. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10-4, I understand I think.  We have trouble here with north and south of the Mason-Dixon line. The south of it sound different then those of us that live to the north. South they say youall or youns, like "youall come back now hear"? I still don't understand why you drive on the wrong side of the road.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember what language we’re speaking ;) (coming from a born and bred Pom).  
 

I think we drive on the right (left) side of the road (gotta love English).  It comes from before cars (horse riding) and carried on to cars.  

 

anyway, going if topic:). Must be close to roadworthy and rego time Matt.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Then there is the New England slang and the Texas drawl.

New York City has some of its own slang as well. Youse guys

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RichBad said:

Remember what language we’re speaking ;) (coming from a born and bred Pom).  
 

I think we drive on the right (left) side of the road (gotta love English).  It comes from before cars (horse riding) and carried on to cars.  

 

anyway, going if topic:). Must be close to roadworthy and rego time Matt.

I agree mate the left side is the right side. 
Yes Rich it’s getting close to going for RWC. I’ve just got the front seat back to go and front carpets. 
My front base didn’t come up as nice as I wanted it to,  I had some trouble on the side corners. I got it a little better than it was but it all comes down to experience and I haven’t got much of that with trimming. I should of allowed a little more material on my corners. I won’t get any better at it if I don’t keep trying it’s just a shame it’s on my car and not someone else’s 😂🤣,Just jokes I’d be gutted if it was someone else’s car. Anyway it will do for now and I might try and get another leather hide the same colour and do it again down the track. 
It’s hard getting the whole cover through the machine. 
I think the process of sewing it is working really well just knowing how much stretch and material will only come with experience. Here’s some pictures of the front seat if it helps someone else to try tackling upholstery. 
B271744A-256F-403C-8B34-C7DB9CCE9B5B.jpeg.2c44bd29794dc16d314f962b5c3a9812.jpeg

laying it all out and using hemming tape has been great for me. 8F178072-2671-4025-8EF1-9458255AD5D6.jpeg.837a0675a9d27386f64a9e1b6d1c6c1e.jpeg
6F464A8F-FAED-4D2C-8E36-520487E78668.jpeg.f8659dfee15abb39412367c11a7974a2.jpeg

rolling it all up and pegging the ends made it a little easier to get through the machine. I used a small rubber roller to push the leather onto the tape and fold the leather over nice and tight. 
I think I’ve been a bit spoilt with the deep neck on my machine it’s an old sail makers machine. It’s a great machine, a Consew that I picked up for $2000. Been worth every cent. B8BE44FA-BFDD-475F-95E2-B1C4B540FC9D.jpeg.17f0e1b81b5743a9190652b8e6acc13f.jpegI used a foot with a guide on the edge which the leather runs along. Having the right feet is key to sewing a little better it would be harder without it. 
37B8A7F8-3280-4F7D-A2D2-52BE0A3B14D8.jpeg.bc44cf2ff09db43f04eee4499f2b5a65.jpeg
packing the pleats with an aluminium straight edge. A5D28D95-1578-4344-83C8-712116F6F389.jpeg.5c1da9e6f3bd74918a9f1f120f01d51a.jpegD327C518-EADB-4BEE-9276-C9BE3FAA99B0.jpeg.94beb51c93fbfbb37e3414730f2b502f.jpeg
The not so good finished product. Just the corners I’m not happy with. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mattml430 said:

I agree mate the left side is the right side. 
Yes Rich it’s getting close to going for RWC. I’ve just got the front seat back to go and front carpets. 
My front base didn’t come up as nice as I wanted it to,  I had some trouble on the side corners. I got it a little better than it was but it all comes down to experience and I haven’t got much of that with trimming. I should of allowed a little more material on my corners. I won’t get any better at it if I don’t keep trying it’s just a shame it’s on my car and not someone else’s 😂🤣,Just jokes I’d be gutted if it was someone else’s car. Anyway it will do for now and I might try and get another leather hide the same colour and do it again down the track. 
It’s hard getting the whole cover through the machine. 
I think the process of sewing it is working really well just knowing how much stretch and material will only come with experience. Here’s some pictures of the front seat if it helps someone else to try tackling upholstery. 
B271744A-256F-403C-8B34-C7DB9CCE9B5B.jpeg.2c44bd29794dc16d314f962b5c3a9812.jpeg

laying it all out and using hemming tape has been great for me. 8F178072-2671-4025-8EF1-9458255AD5D6.jpeg.837a0675a9d27386f64a9e1b6d1c6c1e.jpeg
6F464A8F-FAED-4D2C-8E36-520487E78668.jpeg.f8659dfee15abb39412367c11a7974a2.jpeg

rolling it all up and pegging the ends made it a little easier to get through the machine. I used a small rubber roller to push the leather onto the tape and fold the leather over nice and tight. 
I think I’ve been a bit spoilt with the deep neck on my machine it’s an old sail makers machine. It’s a great machine, a Consew that I picked up for $2000. Been worth every cent. B8BE44FA-BFDD-475F-95E2-B1C4B540FC9D.jpeg.17f0e1b81b5743a9190652b8e6acc13f.jpegI used a foot with a guide on the edge which the leather runs along. Having the right feet is key to sewing a little better it would be harder without it. 
37B8A7F8-3280-4F7D-A2D2-52BE0A3B14D8.jpeg.bc44cf2ff09db43f04eee4499f2b5a65.jpeg
packing the pleats with an aluminium straight edge. A5D28D95-1578-4344-83C8-712116F6F389.jpeg.5c1da9e6f3bd74918a9f1f120f01d51a.jpegD327C518-EADB-4BEE-9276-C9BE3FAA99B0.jpeg.94beb51c93fbfbb37e3414730f2b502f.jpeg
The not so good finished product. Just the corners I’m not happy with. 

As expected, amazing workmen ship. Love it.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ted Levitt said:

As expected, amazing workmen ship. Love it.  

Thanks Ted, It was actually you that inspired me to try my own upholstery after seeing the job you did on your Rolls Royce. Putting me on to all those sailrite tutorials has been very helpful. I haven’t got it as nice as your RR but I’ll keep trying. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Matt,

Not sure if this helps but to remove the bunching up my upholsterer applies heat to the leather. He left the seat in the sun and it disappeared. He also used a hair dryer to warm ( not heat ) the material and again this removed the bunching up.

 

looking great.......you certainly have a lot of talent to attempt this.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ian_Greenlaw said:

Hey Matt,

Not sure if this helps but to remove the bunching up my upholsterer applies heat to the leather. He left the seat in the sun and it disappeared. He also used a hair dryer to warm ( not heat ) the material and again this removed the bunching up.

 

looking great.......you certainly have a lot of talent to attempt this.

Thanks Ian I didn’t know that I’ll give it a try. Our warm sunny days are gone I think so I’ll try and steal Jude’s hair dryer. So if I don’t post here again you’ll know I’ve been hit with it. 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ron passed on to me some rubber DB emblems that he tells me he got in 1978 and hadn’t used. I came up with a perfect little spot for them today in my running boards. I think they fit beautifully in there. Thanks Ron 👍

81481E42-B469-4AF5-BB40-CCE5357321BF.jpeg

5F4E360D-277E-42C6-8E63-6F9F85F34A31.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Picked up my stickers today that I had made so I could sand blast my wind wings. They came out pretty cool I thought. My glass bevelling leaves a bit to be desired but it’s all hand done  749767D2-F4BA-405A-9ADA-1FF866AE649D.jpeg.3e52b07ee8c687c91a23704e77a9e55c.jpeg7797F9E5-A1DB-4F74-BD7C-60E48E6B4126.jpeg.17cb03c6708e428852ec5ccf4e30d19e.jpeg
Almost Finished my front carpet mats I have to run some binding around the outside edge. That’s not as easy as it look to do. 
sewed some DB emblems Into the carpet. Drew a picture in reverse on the back of the carpet and just sewed along the lines. 
78A0073E-8ECA-46D6-8769-0AB885252E9A.jpeg.01ac93bffd000062f08fdbd0d4634f56.jpegD23AF915-D7D1-4920-A185-772A288D850D.jpeg.a67c94aac6e2b383cc1843d24bff5c05.jpegE9438537-AA10-43C7-B983-9AFF2731E422.jpeg.f2e46fa3b63a2dab79f87155331f5ee9.jpeg

Going to try get my seat back finished this weekend if I get time. Just a little more work to do on the inner spring cushion and then I’ll cover it. 
 

Gone a little crazy on the DB emblems this week but we have to fly the flag. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

It all looks awesome.  I am especially envious of the wind wings.  It looks like you are getting ready to start your top as well since all the hardware is in place.  I wish I had your energy.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Got my seat frame ready for upholstery today. What a pain it is making them. So many little parts, I made it as close to the original as I could. Started covering it this afternoon and hopefully I’ll get some more done tomorrow. 7CBF568C-ACD9-443D-97FB-40C022B496E1.jpeg.0e16b29febeb3168777f078f09ce513d.jpeg
my old one I had to copy. Lucky to have enough to go by. 
 

5C6DB1F9-96CF-4B06-A1DF-401086615765.jpeg.def142ebc26e24d7853796a19e7b6169.jpeg

The new one finally finished. Hopefully my leather work on this will be a bit better than my base. Hasn’t got those round ends so hopefully be ok. 
A0764273-14D6-4F27-8D4D-8FACE479C6B5.jpeg.8271cfbbe2349ae008b2955d453fcbc2.jpeg5D647AF5-F551-4827-A85A-DD8CD7DFBD9D.jpeg.6a13ac935baa47231855e10bce538975.jpeg

Trying to get the padding right and I might put a bit of lumber support in there before I cover it. 
The roadster seems to be a much better driving position than the sedan. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a pretty progressive day on the roadster today. Got the seat all finished and I’m pretty happy with it. I’ll wait for a sunny day and let the seats warm up out there to smooth them out  BACF93B5-F9C2-4D9A-8CF7-AD2B86761F4E.jpeg.90634f39df7e2cae20354a792ab72afc.jpegCF1026FE-3972-4826-9F9F-F3A6E945BCD7.jpeg.d9cd3c18e8b7704b77565a46a44267d8.jpeg

so thought I better get an unregistered vehicle permit and take for a decent burn up the road. But first had to take the grandkids for a ride in the dicky seat around the yard. 
51EE14AC-619E-4908-A002-F75F4AD5B054.jpeg.0bd0c8bca27b52b8187c8921f0fb706e.jpeg

Took it for a run down the highway with my son and she drives so smoothly I was actually surprised how nice it was at highway speed. The overdrive is a great addition to these old girls. Just let’s them run at a much better engine speed. Sat really nice at about 85kph and ran it up to about 95 with no trouble at all. I love this old roadster it’s a beauty. Couple of little things to do for roadworthy, hook up the horn and wiper and hopefully get it registered this week. So onto the roof and hood bows. Hopefully my sewing will be up to speed enough to tackle it. 😬

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks sweet !!!!!!!  It's a really credit and reward to the huge effort you have put into it!

All you have to do now it's going, is to enjoy the ride.

I just hope my roadster comes out as good as yours.

Well done Matt!

Edited by aunty norm
Spelling correction (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, aunty norm said:

It looks sweet !!!!!!!  It's a really credit and reward to the huge effort you have put into it!

All you have to do now is go and enjoy the ride.

I just hope my roadster comes out as good as yours.

Well done Matt!

Thanks Terry it’s been a joy to do it all. 
Im sure yours will come out just as well mate. There’s definitely something about bringing an old rusty wreck back to life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful job on a beautiful car.  The grandkids in the rumble seat (with a big kid in the driver's seat) is the whole point isn't it?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jari12 said:

Beautiful job on a beautiful car.  The grandkids in the rumble seat (with a big kid in the driver's seat) is the whole point isn't it?

Hahah!! thanks absolutely , I have some seat belts I’m going to put in it just for safety sake. But I’ll put them in after it’s registered as it will cause way to many problems with them not being original. They came with proper anchor points and everything so they will be a good addition. I got 4 lap belts for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I got the RWC ok today but it seems like getting a car registered in Victoria at the moment is almost impossible unless you choose to wait about 3 weeks for an appointment. They don’t answer the phone you just get a message saying how busy they are and go to their website and then you get disconnected. 
How bloody ridiculous!!!!

Ill try in the morning by just going there but I don’t like my chances. Bit disappointing but I’ll get to drive up to Warragul about 45min away. 
I was having a bit of an idling problem but Dodgy Pete pointed me straight in the right direction and said clean the idle jet it will have a bit of shit in it. And well it did I think I completely missed it when I cleaned the carbi  up. Starts beautiful now with no choke and idles great. 😁

So far everything has been going well but tomorrow will be a great road test with a good 45minutes of highway speed driving. Wish me luck fellas. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

That little bit of worry on your first long trip just adds to the adventure.  I am sure it will go fine but good luck just in case.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jari12 said:

That little bit of worry on your first long trip just adds to the adventure.  I am sure it will go fine but good luck just in case.

Haha yer sure does , always in the back of your mind something going wrong after you completely rebuild a car. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well no luck getting registered today but had a great 2 & 1/2 hour drive in the old girl. Everything went pretty well. Dropped the oil out of it when I got back and put a slightly heavier weight oil in it. My oil pressure was a bit low once it was at full temp. 
After another bit of a run it’s at around 30 cruising at about 85kph. So happier with that. 
Vic roads have no record of my chassis number ever being registered so I have to do a bit of searching and contact Vic imports or get an engineer certificate to say it’s compliant with Australian standards of 1929 , what ever they were or if there even was any standard. 
Part of the fun of it all I guess. I’ll get it done somehow. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

Well no luck getting registered today but had a great 2 & 1/2 hour drive in the old girl. Everything went pretty well. Dropped the oil out of it when I got back and put a slightly heavier weight oil in it. My oil pressure was a bit low once it was at full temp. 
After another bit of a run it’s at around 30 cruising at about 85kph. So happier with that. 
Vic roads have no record of my chassis number ever being registered so I have to do a bit of searching and contact Vic imports or get an engineer certificate to say it’s compliant with Australian standards of 1929 , what ever they were or if there even was any standard. 
Part of the fun of it all I guess. I’ll get it done somehow. 

Far out, that's nuts mate for a 1929.  Have a chat with some of the guys in the club this Friday as I'm sure that wasn't required for vintage vehicles pre-ADRs.  I thought you just needed evidence to show that it had been purchased in Australia.  Hopefully it doesn't become a big headache - otherwise you could just put it on club plates to get you up and running (that may even get the chassis number logged in their system).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RichBad said:

Far out, that's nuts mate for a 1929.  Have a chat with some of the guys in the club this Friday as I'm sure that wasn't required for vintage vehicles pre-ADRs.  I thought you just needed evidence to show that it had been purchased in Australia.  Hopefully it doesn't become a big headache - otherwise you could just put it on club plates to get you up and running (that may even get the chassis number logged in their system).

Yer mate I didn’t think it would be that difficult. The problem I have is I have no proof of anything other than buying it out of a paddock. They have no record of the chassis number. It could well of been parked up for 50-60 years for all we know. I’m not sure how far back their records go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise that your car ran so well.  Great that you had a good shake down drive and sorry to hear that you didn't get her legal.  I've been looking into this process for my car in New York state as well.  I decided to be sure I could register it before I spent lots of time or money on it.  There is no record of my cars serial number either but it turns out that is a good thing here.  I don't have to prove ownership because there is no record of anyone else ever owning it.  I just have to fill out a form stating that it's mine and a rubbing or photo of the serial number on the frame.  The fact that it has been in my possession for a long time is also a positive.  Once our DMV office is easier to get an appointment for I'm getting mine on the books.  I picked up a set of 1927 NY license plates to go with it since they will approve them for antique vehicle use.  I just need to figure out what you guys are drinking down there to get you so productive.  I hope your process turns out positive.  Good Luck.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt, hope you get things straightened out with registration. Here it's all about money. If you are willing to pay it will happen. For antiques you must show evidence of insurance and sign that it is restored to or maintained in original condition to get antique license. If we want to use a year of manufacture license it is double. No inspection like a normal car. As I understand for you guys you must belong to the Nat'l club to get insurance? As you are winding down would it be a good time to send over your next project? It's been apart since about 1965 and shouldn't take you more then a few weeks to reassemble. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Kevin BC here

It can be painful with this rego business, I did a lot of chasing around here in Sth Aus as the police used to be able to certify the old cars ,but when I went to the local station the officer said all the paperwork had been removed 2 weeks before & I would have to take it to Adelaide for inspection. I had to round up Bullfrog and his 4 wheel drive  and we loaded up my 30 Dc Dodge and off we went.

 Got down to the site unloaded the car , drove it in when my name was called, the guy with a clipboard asked to see the engine number, wrote it down, asked about the straight 8 engine, asked if I had a chassis No, which I had never found , said thats OK I'll put the engine No down as a chassis No, then told us to go and put it back on the trailer while he checked the computor. When we got back he said there was no records of the car on the computor, which I already new as the Rego people have had about 4 system changes over the last 40 years, and all the old info is GONE.

Perhaps you should slip over the border, into Sth Aust, and get it registered(Only Joking), and have a beer after all your hard work

For all the overseas members, there is great rivalry between all the Australian States, and each states Govt do all things differently.

 Anyway hope you get it sorted soon

Kevin BC

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kevin bc said:

there is great rivalry between all the Australian States, and each states Govt do all things differently.

 

Sounds familiar.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks fellas I’ll see what this Vimports can find for me and go from there. I’m sure I’ll get it done some how. Probably take till the dead of winter when it will be to cold to take it out. 😂

My brother is coming to visit soon and I wanted to have it finished so he can take it for a drive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...