Sign in to follow this  
GregLaR

Lebaron Bonney

On 11/28/2019 at 8:31 AM, autoluke said:

Not intended to change the subject, but I have an original Lebaron Bonney tan leather seat kit for a 1941 Ford Convertible for sale.

Anyone interested ?

If you didn't intend to change the subject, why did you? 🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's still being disputed. Ecler is a creditor. They objected to the order to sell to SMS. Trustee wanted to finalize the sale to SMS. There needs to be another hearing.

59  12/18/2019  Notice of Appearance and Request for Notice by Daniel C. Cohn with certificate of service filed by Creditor Eckler Industries Inc.

60  12/18/2019  Order dated 12/18/2019 Re: [53] Emergency Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler for Supplemental Order Regarding Motion for Authority to Sell Personal Property with certificate of service Re: [49] Ordered dated 12/10/2019 Re: [41] Motion filed by Trustee Joseph G. Butler for Sale of Property free and clear of liens under Section 363(f) Re: the patterns, inventory, supplier lists, and all intellectual property and other personal property related to the LeBaron Bonney, Hampton Coach and EZ Boy product lines, the office furniture and fixtures, other machinery, fixtures and equipment located both at 6 Chestnut Street, Amesbury, Massachusetts and in Wilton, Maine. See Order for Full Text.

Just curious, are people happy or sad regarding the interrupted sale? It's obvious that a substantial, vocal group do not like the model, so what are some of the viable options, that other forum members might envision?   

Bill

59 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Just curious, are people happy or sad regarding the interrupted sale?

Well, the lawyers for one are ecstatic................

Everyone else........Meh............Bob

• Sad 1

No-one really cares. Just curious who will finally wind up with the assets. Looks like SMS. But Eckler must see some value in it, or has some motivation. Eckler apparently is not just a competing bidder, but a creditor/bidder so they may be owed something by LeBaron Bonney.

I think one thing that has been said is that if SMS gets the assets they will try to sell the fabric at very high prices.

Looks like it is going to SMS, but it is being held up as of right now.

I got some 41 Packard Bedford Cord not too long ago from Bill Hirsch, but he's certainly known to you.  Has that dried up?

I think many care, especially the GM guys as Hampton Coach was the only company making GM interiors for the early cars. SMS does not have a good customer service reputation and Ecklers does have a line specializing in GM so the thought is possibly that Ecklers would continue with the interior line because they probably have more capital to invest to restart it. But, there’s always a but, some have said Ecklers is no better with customer service. I live in MA and somewhat close to Amesbury and was considering purchasing the assets as I was installing a fair amount of GM interiors. I was trying to get more inside information from former employees but none would contact me back. I had located a facility and even some people to work the business but needed more info. I just couldn’t get it so I passed. The cost was not that much considering what was there as I had been in the building less than a month from closing. Time will tell if either SMS or Ecklers will bring the line and name back in some form.

On 11/28/2019 at 8:43 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Isn't Jenkins in NC still selling Buick trunk material and kits?

I contacted these folks, and while they are able to provide a kit with period correct material (not 1939 Buick pattern, just one that represents the period), their quoted price doesn’t make sense for me and my car.  They are an option for many other people, I would think.

16 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

I contacted these folks, and while they are able to provide a kit with period correct material (not 1939 Buick pattern, just one that represents the period), their quoted price doesn’t make sense for me and my car.  They are an option for many other people, I would think.

You've got many choices.  They may not have a kit like LeBarron-Bonney did, but if they got material from LeBarron-Bonney sent the material they have it, if they actually bought LeBarron-Bonney stock.  The correct or most correct material LeBarron-Bonney had, they thought was for a Chevrolet.  The material they provided for the Buick was not correct anyway.  The Buick chassis parts book lists several clothes.  The cheapest was Mohair which is ugly, but certainly available.  There was Bedford cord which is available.  Broadcloth is is also available.  On top of that they had multiple colors of leather.  There is a Century for sale on the internet with red leather in it.  My car has blue leather in it.  SMS is both slow and expensive, but in my case they've always had the correct stuff.  But when you have the goods and you're the only game in town, you can command your price----that is, if you don't care whether people love you or not.  As for Jenkins: There is only ONE material that is correct for a '39 Buick trunk.  I provided a large swatch of the correct material out of a junk car, many years ago to the late Mr. Jenkins, the current owner's father.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All I have left is the trunk.  The rest of the car has a Lebanon Bonney interior in it already.  SMS has the correct material at a price that doesn’t make sense for my car.  I will keep looking for close alternatives and use the my local craft store material if I don’t find anything useful.  Thanks

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

We're fortunate that the availability of period correct fabrics has been so good for so long.

It's changing, though.

One particular fabric that I wanted from Jenkins, waited 6 months for a run to be done....then the woolen mill that was to make it closed down.

It's only going to get worse......

• Like 4

making upholstery kits seems to be a labor intensive business that few want to venture into or are capable of.

As Trim said, only going to get worse.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

I got some 41 Packard Bedford Cord not too long ago from Bill Hirsch, but he's certainly known to you.  Has that dried up?

Apparently - or so I have been told (certainly all Wools of all varieties and colors are no longer stocked per website) - I have not called to see the reason why.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

3 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

All I have left is the trunk.  The rest of the car has a Lebanon Bonney interior in it already.  SMS has the correct material at a price that doesn’t make sense for my car.  I will keep looking for close alternatives and use the my local craft store material if I don’t find anything useful.  Thanks

I hate to say this, though just buy the proper fabric at the sky high price and never look back at doing so (or at least just mumble about price). 

Bill Hirsch was a hobbyist as well as a business man and I wonder with his passing if the company still has that passion. Lots easier ways to make a living than catering to the antique car hobby crowd. 

• Like 2

If you don't love this hobby.....live and breathe it.............you will never be sucessful at earning a living in it.......never mind trying to make money.

• Like 1

Very true Ed.  I voiced the same to my Son before he took over the business.  Happily he does have the passion,  having grown up in the hobby/business.