1916 McLaughlin parts

Art Dean

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, Art Dean said:

Parts needed for 1916 McLaughlin - headlights

- lower windshield panel

- wood spoke wheels

- possibly other parts

Do you have the wheels and they just need respoked?   If you have all of the hardware, you can have them done at Stutzman Wheel Works in Berlin, Ohio.  They do great work and are reasonable.   If you call, leave a message and they will call you back.

• Like 1

I’m in Ontario Canada. I have a restored 1913 McLaughlin now and hoping to get the 1916. It is a “barn find” with several other old cars and in pretty rough shape. The engine is missing the head, but the owner claims to have another complete engine. I think it is a D45, it’s left hand drive, the 1913 is right hand.

14 hours ago, Art Dean said:

I’m in Ontario Canada. I have a restored 1913 McLaughlin now and hoping to get the 1916. It is a “barn find” with several other old cars and in pretty rough shape. The engine is missing the head, but the owner claims to have another complete engine. I think it is a D45, it’s left hand drive, the 1913 is right hand.

Can you post some pictures?  Especially of the engine that you need the parts for.  A model 45 is a 6 cylinder car.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Sorry Larry, it’s a 4 cylinder, I’m told that’s a D34. Is that correct? I ended up with the 1916 McLaughlin car and it’s going to be a large project. I have parts of 2 engines and don’t know yet if either is free or seized. I have located a few things such as steering wheel, headlights , etc., but will need engine parts and at least two wood spoke wheels and 2 steel demountable rims. If anyone knows of available parts for this car I would appreciate a lead. 

Thanks 

Art

On 10/12/2020 at 2:51 PM, Art Dean said:

Sorry Larry, it’s a 4 cylinder, I’m told that’s a D34. Is that correct? I ended up with the 1916 McLaughlin car and it’s going to be a large project. I have parts of 2 engines and don’t know yet if either is free or seized. I have located a few things such as steering wheel, headlights , etc., but will need engine parts and at least two wood spoke wheels and 2 steel demountable rims. If anyone knows of available parts for this car I would appreciate a lead. 

Thanks 

Art

Art,

A roadster is a D-34 and a touring car is a D-35. 

Post some pictures as that will help.

Larry

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Larry

Sorry, been away for a while. The 1916 McLaughlin is a touring car with side curtains which makes it a D-35 from what you have said. I'm picking away at little things as time permits. It's been a very strange and difficult year with the Covid, especially now, with the numbers rising again.

I will need 2 new wood spoke front wheels, ( spokes and fellows ) I have found the steel rims. I will also need spark and throttle levers for the steering wheel, and the speedometer that runs off the gear on front right wheel, and other parts as I go forward. I haven't gotten to engine parts yet.

It's a large project, I have included pics, last three 2718,2719, and 2720 are of the spare engine. Obviously, I'll need all new upholstery, top and side curtains, but have all existing ones for patterns.

If any easier, my email - marshfes@gmail.com  Thanks for confirming the correct model of car.

Art

PS - I would love to see pics of your collection if convenient!

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The two front wheels is all I am in need of. They are 12 spoke and demountable. They must fit my 1916 McLaughlin Buick, but I forget the size. I will check and get back to you. 

Thanks for the contact.

I haven’t been able to find your post yet. I assume you have pics there.

Regards

Art

A lot of the Buicks of that era used Baker rims and wheels. The easiest way to tell is to look at the air hole in one of your felloe bands,if it has two pretty goodsized holes on each side of the airhole,it's a Baker. The rim would have two tits or bullits on each side of its airhole to go into the felloe band holes. You may need 26" and they are tough to find. I have one 26" felloe band with the five holes to fit a Baker rim if needed. Vince Cassidy back east,PA maybe,is a rim guy and would be a good one to check with. Good luck.

Stanweld wheels look essentially the same as the wheels on your car. Many Buicks used Baker wheels but Baker wheels and parts are extremely rare. I don't know what wheels McLaughlin used. I have not posted these wheels for sale so you will not find a picture in my content. If you will measure across the wheel, metal felloe to metal felloe, and tell me what size you have, I'll check these two wheels.

I just went back to look at the two wheels I have and I was mistaken. They are twelve spoke, front wheels and look exactly like yours except they are Kelsey wheels. The Kelsey metal felloe turn down the face on the wood felloe, so there is a slight difference. There is one rim still bolted to the wheel. If you want these, I will sell them. They are 25" wheels, measuring 24" approximate across without a rim. It looks like you have one good wheel so in actuality, you need one good wheel and rims?

I belong to an online brass Buick group that is very helpful and friendly. Mclaughlins are welcome. bb@brassbuicks.group

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

On a 1916 they are most likely Baker. As long as you can collect the needed metal parts the easiest solution is to have the wood parts made new. It also works out best in the long run as your chance of finding decent, usable 100 year old wood wheels is rather slim. You can use your rears as an example of what you need for the front. Other than the hubs the wheels themselves will be the same front and rear.  Your car looks like a really decent starting point.

Greg

Art:

Where are you located? A wheelright near me in Pennsylvania is Calmer's Wheel Shop

Wayensboro, PA.

717-762-5056

wdcalimer@pa.net

Hi Larry,

Art responded to the same question I asked back before Christmas. He is in Ontario , Canada. I suggested ,above , that he look for a convenient wheelwright, as USA locations these virally impacted days, will be anything but. Please , anyone reading this, can you recommend a convenient Canadian wheelwright for Art ?      -    Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Spelling (see edit history)

I have just located a Mennonite fellow who claims he can make my wheels. He turns his own spokes, buys the wood fellows and assembles the wheels.

I haven’t had a chance to get the old wheels and hubs to him yet, but he is within driving distance from me.

Ot seems wheelwrights are harder to find in CA.

Thanks to everyone who offered help with this.

Much appreciated.

Art

• 1 year later...

Yes, I have finally found a wheelwright in Ontario and he has finished making 4 new wood spoke wheels for my McLaughln. I paid to have them spray painted and pin striped also. I had new tires and tubes mounted and now installed on the car. They look great.

my latest challenge is finding the spark advance and throttle control for the steering wheel. As stated previously it is a D35 touring car.

Any help with finding this would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks

Art

• 3 weeks later...

Don

My dash instruments are pretty rusty and I haven’t had a chance to see how many work yet. I just removed the engine for a rebuild and restoration has been halted due to a large fire I had in April. Fortunately the car was in another building as was the 1913 McLaughlin.

Let me know what parts you have.

Good to see you are in Canada.🇨🇦

Best

Art

• 1 month later...

After partially recovering from a large devastating fire I am back to working on restoring my 1916 D35 McLaughlin touring car, which fortunately was stored in another building.

The engine has been removed and stripped of starter generator, transmission, water pump,etc. preparing for a re-build.

The head was missing which I have located on a spare 4 cylinder engine. I have one pair of rockers and one good rocker stand. I will use these to have new ones cast at a local foundry, unless someone has ones they will part with. Also missing push rods. The starter generator is complete but unsure of condition. Water pump probably seized, so I'll need to work on that. What I need is a distributor, as it is missing completely. I am also in need of a carburetor, and still looking for the spark and throttle lever setup for the steering wheel. Any help with needed parts would be greatly appreciated.

I have a long road ahead with restoring this car, but I'm picking away at it as money and time permits.

Thanks

OK thanks, I will check the spare engine I have to see if the carb is salvageable.

Do you know if the valve rockers, towers, and push rods are the same on 4&6 cylinder engines?

You wouldn’t happen to have the throttle and spark levers on the steering wheel by chance?

Thanks again for replying

I don't have a parts book for the 4 's.  It's possible the valve train parts are the same but I somewhat doubt it. From what I remember  the 4 and 6 engines are very different designs.  The control levers are almost always in poor condition on these cars . I have one pair of levers that are probably usable for my own car but no decent spares. The quadant is even more prone to damage. Even the best one I have isn't very good.

Thanks for that information. I was afraid they might be different. I may need to get valve train parts cast as I do have one complete set. I could probably have new levers and quadrant made also if I had a pattern.

Will keep looking.

Thanks again 

PS- What year is your car? Possible to send a picture?