1951 plymouth cranbrook frame

Danielle

Hello all,

I own a 1951 plymouth and I am attempting to remove the frame and replace it with a solid one due to rust and decay. I am having a heck of a time. It doesn't look like the frame is connected to the motor, I've removed the six bolts on the outer most parts already. Help ! 

There's 4 bolts on the front of the engine mounts that run through the frame and then the transmission mounts at the back.  If you have a picture of how far you have made it I might be able to help.  I just pulled motor out of the same frame.  

• Like 1

If I was doing the job I would start by removing the hood completely, then the front clip as a single unit,  then lift off the body shell leaving the chassis.

Next would be transferring parts from one chassis frame to the other repairing and replacing parts as necessary.

Not sure I would even try such a massive job if I could just buy a better car.

• Like 1

Hi, Danielle....you said the hobby shop is "on base".  Air Force?  Where abouts?

When I was in the Army in the early 80's there were many seemingly insurmountable tasks taken on in the rec centers and hobby shops just to face the challenge.  A mail order hang glider with no instructions comes to mind.

Sure there are better cars and better methods, but if that's your car and that's your mission....drive on.

• Like 2

Here's a couple of pictures one might help and the other not so much.  The frame I have is now leaning against the wall so it's a bit tough to get good pictures of the front.  There should be a total of 4 bolts that go through the mounting plate on the front of the engine through that front frame cross member, 2 on each side.  If you look just at the top of the ladder there is a bit of a flatter area, two bolts go through there and then the other two are on the other side which are a bit clearer to see.   The transmission mount is the through the second cross member, one of the rubber bushings is missing but that's were it bolts through and then the transmission linkage etc all connects to the lefts side frame rail just ahead of that.  The other picture is the extent of the instructions is the service manual with no pictures and the parts catalog doesn't help either as there aren't any pictures that actually show the engine and transmission in the frame, just exploded views of the.  And of course you will have to unbolt the driveshaft from the transmission tail stock.  

20191126_125100[1].jpg

20191126_142055[1].jpg

Edited by 3macboys (see edit history)