Sharpness

What is this beast?

Can anyone identify the make & model of this little van?  I've been trying to place the radiator cap (looks like a swan), but can't pin it down.

Thanks!

1930s-a-b-anheuser-busch-ice-cream-delivery-truck-boys-man-buying-BRA99E.jpg

Austin,

or alternatively, Austin American Bantam

They were also made in coupe, and in roadster/convertible versions

1930-ish?

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I can't get the image to zoom enough but is it possible the radiator cap is a custom eagle piece to go with the Anheuser Busch company logo?  What is the other car?

• Like 2

The other car seems to be a 1928 Chevrolet Sport Cabriolet.

Don

Don't forget, if this was prior to 1933 prohibition was the order of the day and AB still had to produce something to keep the doors open.

Rare delivery body with the lack of the quarter window the Coupe had. There will always be room in my garage for one. Note the doodles on this Coupe on the sales brochure, it was featured on The Old Motor a while back. Bob 

DSCF6902.JPG

DSCF6903.JPG

14 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Anheuser-Busch ice cream? Was it beer flavor?

And only a dime.

Does it say "Always-Best" on the door?

And a rare occasion where that Eagle and the Rooster get along?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Well, it does say "ALL FLAVORS" ;)

22 hours ago, 3macboys said:

This is the only image I can find for the Bantam but to me that looks different then the one in the picture.  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1931-american-austin-bantam-rooster-526320382

1931-american-austin-bantam-rooster_1_8d460a4f21aaa50b2a4e26bf2c181f78.jpg

Pretty sure the mascot in the OP picture is a rooster.  But I agree it looks different from the one in your post - maybe an earlier or later version?

For the non-chicken-people, a bantam, aka banty, is a scaled-down breed.  They can be aggressive, a characteristic that led my grandmother to refer to a pugnacious man, especially one of small stature, as "a little banty rooster".  :D

23 hours ago, 3macboys said:

This is the only image I can find for the Bantam but to me that looks different then the one in the picture.  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1931-american-austin-bantam-rooster-526320382

1931-american-austin-bantam-rooster_1_8d460a4f21aaa50b2a4e26bf2c181f78.jpg

The one in the original photo is a custom made A/B eagle as stated above and not a rooster like in your photo.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

You cant soar with the eagles if you're hanging around with turk... err.... chickens.

On 11/24/2019 at 10:12 PM, Matt Harwood said:

During prohibition many breweries operated as dairies. Most had a special vat for family and law enforcement use.

19 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

During prohibition many breweries operated as dairies. Most had a special vat for family and law enforcement use.

They also tended to brew a little something special for the employees for Christmas and special occasions - my educational path was designed by Jim and Charles Koch (father & Son with Charles designing Jim's initial product line) - you see Jim via Samuel Adams/Boston Beer Company - Jim, Charles, and their Grandfather were all Brewmasters, the grandfather had  worked for Anheuser Busch in St. Louis - I cannot recall the Brewery the grandfather worked for in Cincinnati, though they moved from St. Louis to Cincinnati via depression (he drove a 27 or 29 LaSalle Sedan and then later had several Lincoln Zephyr cars - I should have paid more attention to the endless stories while riding in the car to CCCA events and ... with Charles).