Classic Car Road Trip Pictures!

Fox H.

I thought it would be fun to start a thread showcasing period road trip pictures, or modern pictures of road trips in period style. Let's keep it to pre-1942. We don't often see these cars dirty and being driven hard, so let's see what you have in your archives! Include details if you can, and share your journeys! 

Image result for antique car dirt road

Cadillac Carl's 1927 Cadillac, prepped for his trip:

Image result for peking to paris buick

1929 Buick running Peking to Paris

Image result for peking to paris buick

1928 Graham-Paige Model 610 on the Zapp family's round-the-world trip

Facebook/Zapp Family

• Like 3

I think you would have to include this commercial service. Overloaded, at times 3000 pounds of passenger and freight, this fleet of 1924 Cadillacs ran into the mid-'30s. Following camel tracks where they could, some accumulated around and over 1/2 million miles. '24 and '25 Cadillacs had the strongest frames of all mid '20s cars. Along with their immunity from overheating, this factored into the choice as fleet vehicles. Tough as the Cads were, the overload and severe service eventually did crack their frames. Boxed and reinforced, on went the Cadillacs. Herein, with credit to Maurice Hendry, this chapter alone is worth the purchase of this "Cadillac Bible". Reading of this remarkable feat, along with the chapter dealing with the developing of the 1924 Cadillac with it's inherently balanced V8 engine, convinced me I had to have one. So I got one !    -   CC 

E4F463CF-11A3-4B54-81D8-77D02EF568D8.jpeg

04FFF130-A552-4965-B85C-6CC714B1FF1F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In 1997 my family, in our 1928 Studebaker FA President, took a road trip of 2,611 miles. In our adventure was the owners of a 1928 Studebaker FB President roadster. Our adventure took place September 3-15, 1997.  We started in California near Sacramento, drove east across Nevada, through Utah, up into and Idaho and then west to Oregon, and then back to our homes in California. We camped out along the way. Here are some our camping pictures.    At one point we stopped for gas in the middle of Nevada. Nothing around in this small town.  A women noticed us in our antique cars loaded down with our gear and walked up to my wife and asked her what we were doing.   My wife explained that we were on a road trip with our antique cars and camping out along the way.  The woman responded to my wife "Why would you allow your husband to put your family through this?"   We still laugh about that.  This trip was one of the greatest times we had with our children when they were growing up.   Our daughters, ages 11 and 9, were in elementary school and we took them out of school for this trip and it is one of the old car events that they still remember and talk about.

Leaving 1.jpg

Camping first night 2.jpg

Sand Dunes Park 1.jpg

KOA campground Eastern Oregon 3.jpg

KOA campground Eastern Oregon 2.jpg

KOA campground Eastern Oregon 1.jpg

Scan 5.jpg

Scan 14.jpg

Edited by Mark Huston (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Wonderful, fantastic adventure, Mark ! What mechanical repairs/adjustments were needed by you guys ? Any special preparations ?     -   Carl 

In the weeks prior to our trip I went through everything on the Studebaker checking brakes, fluids, adjusting timing, points, etc.   Also while we were on the road we stayed on top of everything by making fluid checks at every gas stop.  We also packed spare parts.  While in the northern mountains of Utah I changed the generator by flashlight one night as a thunderstorm crashed around us.  Good times.   I will never do another trip like this only because I can no longer sleep outside on the ground in tents or under tarps.   If I ever try this again hotels will be involved.  

This 1930 series 145 Franklin was owned/driven and maintained by Dick Lamphere, He Drove it from Tenn. to Wyoming 8 times on camping trips, and from Tenn.... In 1964 he drove it to The Northwest Territory in Canada, which was a 8,0000 mile round trip..... I just bought it from his grandson, and it has over 200,000 miles on it, (He rebuilt  the engine & transmission at about 100,000 miles) and is running and driving well today.....  Here is a photo of it today, stripped down and ready for new paint & upholstery... becoming again a 'Daily Driver'

DSC06582.JPG

DSC06587.JPG

DSC06585.JPG

DSC06586.JPG

• Like 3

First two from 1978 on my move from the Maryland to California. The utility trailer had my stash of spare mechanical parts. Third photo is from last March while camping in the desert to see the wildflowers. Same car and driver, 41 years between the photos.

tf19780501b.jpg

tf19780601a.jpg

IMG_20190322_145520.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/24/2019 at 7:05 PM, Sharps45-70 said:

38 Plymouth!  👍  An early one with the "pinched" bumper ends.  Maybe a Roadking as it looks like black fenders with lighter body (Deluxe is all one color) - hard to tell but also looks like no vent windows in front doors (Deluxe has them).

• Like 1

My half-brother Larry en route by 1914 Model T from Ladd Air Force Base, Fairbanks, Alaska, to Los Angeles, in late summer, 1950.  He mustered out of the Air Force at Ladd, then took the long way home, driving the Alaska-Canada Highway through the Yukon Territory, British Columbia, Alberta, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and finally California.  The trip took 53 days.  The car was reputedly one of the first Model T shipment to Fairbanks, and Larry bought it from its original owner and restored it in his spare time.  788469747_alaskamodelt.thumb.jpg.91ae1fc33eb2a0e4b2ccc116bcbbd006.jpg

• Like 2

My Grandfather ("Fate" Bowman) on the bridge rail with oldest son McRee and daughters Nellie and Hazel on the Catawba River bridge at Hickory NC.  Most likely taking the oldest daughter back to school at the NC School for the Deaf in Morganton, NC.  The car is a 1919 Maxwell.

Bridge.jpg

These pictures don't reflect being "back in the day" but were what me & my family experienced in the late 1960's.

Dad bought this 1920 Overland Model 4 in 1966 and having joined the local antique car club took in many of the events the club organised in the summers. Weekend trips twice a year were common and fun for us kids as well.

Ives-Slides_904.thumb.jpg.2b2576a410c3a54750b8aa8492ecdcbc.jpg

Towards the end there was little support for those weekend trips as roads became busier and motelling it was getting more expensive so with everyone backing out Dad decided we would go on our own.

We packed up what we could on the running boards and inside the car for an adventure. Being a family of 5 had it's challenges as to what to bring.

This was taken at Uncle Tom's Cabin (yes the one written about).

Ives-Slides_581.thumb.jpg.b0426b64d26477c477212c3944b56c39.jpg

Dad managed to track down one of the men responsible for getting the Overland back on the road some time in the 50's.

Ives-Slides_583.thumb.jpg.257e79281a90a8e1ce55ea8b091668ca.jpg

Ron was surprised to see the car and confirmed the story Dad heard about it being found in a barn with another 1919 Overland. 

To my recollection we travelled some 400 miles over four days and loved every minute of it!

Sadly, that was the last trip under her own power as Dad bought a car trailer which saved time and keep us out of the ever increasing traffic rush...

p.s. I checked the tires recently and think it might just be time for some new shoes.