seal between flywheel and last crank bearing

chrysler75

Actually there doesn’t have to be a seal of any type, depending on the year.........there may be none, or one of wood,  rope, rubber, ect.

This^^. Some older cars just had an oil slinger. Sometimes there may be a check ball, or some system of drains to keep the oil from running out on the ground. Volkswagen was doing the slinger thing far more recently than anyone probably imagines.

Although I have not had the crank out, I am pretty sure there is no rear main seal on my 36 Pontiac. There is a front one (and it's fairly bizarre).

This is why you need a shop manual. If the car is so unusual that a manual no longer exists, you are just going to have to take it apart and look.

1929 Dodge Bros DA has a 1/4” felt strip that fits in a grove in crankshaft. This seal is very important I am finding since the reservoir in the oil pan has to hold excess oil before the oil drains into the pan. I have heard this engine may drip oil if reservoir overfills.

Does any body have the instructions on placing this seal? I am rebuilding my engine and would like to install correctly.

Some of the engines has the grove on the block , top half circle and the lower half circle was on the oil pan. That was mostly on 4 cylinders RED SEAL engine. So whenever there was a drip at the seal the remedy was to tighten the 2 nearest bolt of the oil pan circle.  There were other styles.The reality is the old mechanics who rebuilt these engines are no longer with us. If I am not mistaken NAPA used to have engines and most components including generators etc. and send them out to contractors . These rebuilders are all gone but very few. Changing technology also being a factor. The best thing to do is keep trying on blogs social media for information. Dismantle as a last resort.

7 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Leaking rear main seal. The bane of the restorer since the dawn of the auto age. 

Recently a local shop is on the fifth attempt to fix a bad rear main seal on an early post war machine........they choose no to listen to me on how to fix it..........they gave up. I offered to repair it for a flat fee and guarentee it won't leak, or no charge.............they won't take me up on it. 

On 11/24/2019 at 5:40 PM, chrysler75 said:

to prevent leaking oil, there has to be a seal between the last crank bearing and the flywheel. It is made of rubber or felt.

Can anyone tell where I can buy such a seal and what it is made of ?

thnx in advance

Pete

Here is a list of gaskets used for the 75.

Chrysler 75 gaskets.jpg

4 hours ago, stakeside said:

Found my Victor PARTS BOOK. It list a felt strip 6 1/4” long for the DA 6 engine.

Assume that you trim excess material.

2A954C19-D504-48F9-AFF2-7AAA6ED3BCE5.thumb.jpeg.4cb6d3239742c40f841f11fd72f40f2b.jpeg

I think he is asking about the seal at the crankshaft, not the oil pan. As noted above for the Chrysler 75 that he was asking about, uses a braided asbestos seal.

Chrysler75,

Hwellens has just given all of us a chart with useful information, the seals that you are seeking are easily made, by cutting 2 strips of cork, 29/32inch wide by 11&7/16 inches long from a sheet of 1/4 inch thick cork. I would recommend using rubberised cork, and when installing these gaskets, use a good quality gasket sealer.

Thanks Hwellens for posting the above chart, it will be most useful to me also, when I rebuild my G70 Chrysler next year.

Viv.