Dealer invoices from Canton, Ohio

In the recent thread about new car order contracts it made me think of a book that was given to the DBC club. In talking to DB26 and OLDCARPUSHER I went digging for it at AACA library in our collection. It is a book of new car invoices from 1921 to 1930 complete with serial numbers and engine numbers. Also notes a few things like colors, interior, disc wheels or wood wheels. Well, I have been scanning, 1000 pages so far with about 300 to go. The dealers name was Pearl, they must have been a major dealer. I forget the proper term but DB had major dealers and minor. The majors ordered quantities from DB and stocked bunches of cars and trucks. Then the minor dealers were supplied from the majors. OK, it sounds boring until I found a Landau, and a 1923 four passenger coupe. Look them up, have never seen either of them for real. Found about 25 or 30 1925 coaches, which is a pretty obscure body style that I only know of one. Most of the panel business cars had a note to RUB VARNISH which translates to polish the panels, which proves the did have shiny cars back then. I found a few Kalamazoo orders. Look them up, kind of ugly I think. One of the puzzles is a WAR TAX on almost all of the cars. I am up to 1928 and they were still being charged for it, about 25 to 40 on a 700 to 1000 dollar car. Could it still be to pay for WW1? It will take a few weeks until I get the stick to Rick and it gets posted to the DBC website, stay tuned. I also found several orders for MUSLIN COVERS for .60. I think it may have been a seat cover. Anyone have one or pictures or know for sure what they are? So, if you live anywhere near Canton Ohio you better start checking barns. 

• Like 2

Thanks. Finished today, about 1350 invoices, some with 12-15 cars on them and lots of trucks. Out of all that I only saw about 6 or 8 that paid for a spare tire, all in about 1928 to 1930. SOOO, does that mean the rest didn't get a spare? Wire wheels were available on standard DAs and Victories at extra cost, cowl lights too. SO that explains when cars have cowl lights that probably shouldn't. Almost all cars paid a " war tax" of 25 to 40 dollars even up to 1929. And an advertisement cost was added to most cars, some 20-50 dollars. Was that just extra profit for the dealer because how could it cost that much to advertise a car? Bumpers and trunk racks were an extra charge for DAs and Victories, don't remember any Seniors paying extra but could have. AND, on DAs with side mounts, like mine,  if they didn't pay for a spare tire did they just get a bare wheel in the fender? Spare tire locks were an extra charge too. Lots of good information  but creates more questions. 

Unfortunately no. They ended in 1930. I would love to find more, especially early ones for my own interest but also new ones like '36-'38. These have changed my mind on a lot of things like finding proof you could have bought standard cars with deluxe parts from the factory. It also shows trends like the switch to disc wheels. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2019 at 4:00 PM, nearchoclatetown said:

Out of all that I only saw about 6 or 8 that paid for a spare tire, all in about 1928 to 1930. SOOO, does that mean the rest didn't get a spare?AND, on DAs with side mounts, like mine,  if they didn't pay for a spare tire did they just get a bare wheel in the fender

Hey Doug, does this answer your question?

Note the statement : " 5 wire wheels - Rear Mounting ( no spare tire )"  

Could the DA's with dual side mounts also have the option of bare metal rims with no tires? It appears it may have been possible - although it looks like they recommended the Direct and Associated dealers try and close the deal with spare tires. I could see new owners opting out and purchase their own spares at a later date for possibly less money though.

Spare Tire 1.jpg

That is one of the papers I was referring to. The rear mounted spare wheel could be mounted to the spare mount without a tire, no big deal. But the sport sedan has dual fender mounted spares. The wheel without tire would not fit in the well, and beside it would look pretty stupid. Personally I don't understand why anyone would buy a new car with a spare wheel without a tire. Tires only lasted about 5000 miles at this time so it was pretty sure you would be needing the spare at some time, especially with the poor road conditions. The extra tire only cost about $6 or $7. Rick should be posting the invoices and receipts soon. Lots more secrets to be found. 

• Like 1