'36 Dodge gas pedal question

jpage

Ok, I may have some useful information.  Spoke with Sonia at Steele.  There part is indeed a slip over piece and you are meant to reuse your mounting holes from the back.  So that explains the part number being the same from year to year with them, the core of the same size.  If you look at the pictures here you can see it's just relocated mounting locations and if bet there actual pedal dimensions are the same.

So if the back of yours is ok, you can use the steel part.  Unfortunately, she said they aren't taking new orders for vulcanizing, they are backed by over a year and sounds like they don't want anymore, plus they don't have a mold to recreate the back of ours.  So that's a no-go.

I plan to call bernbaum tomorrow about theirs.  If it's a full pedal, you could buy that one and use the slipover from Steele to get brown (expensive).  

The jury is still out on whether the accelerator pedal I found is from my D2 or from the P1 parts car.  I'm now leaning towards D2 because I haven't found another accelerator pedal in the boxes of P1 parts.  I did find brake/clutch pedal pads and a starter rod/pad from the P1 though.

If anyone is interested I took some closeups of the gearshift lever boot and the parking brake lever boot from my D2.  Those parts are in about the same condition and the accelerator pedal having readable part numbers.  I can post those pics in this thread or start a new one (or two) where we share info on those parts.  LMK.

Pete, that's a tough call.  If say there is a chance whichever it came from, that's is not the original and possibly not correct for either.  From what I can tell, the P2 and D2 pedal are the same, top hole all the way at tip and bottom two at a 15-20 deg angle.  So I don't think that is a D2 pedal (just my opinion).  Having said that, I can't see why they would use a different toe board on the P1 since the car is nearly identical except for trim.  Perhaps there is a difference for the couple and sedan or convertible that we are missing?

An eBay seller and bernbaum both seem complete pedals that I believe are correct for a P2.  Black only.  We could use that and the Steele cover to get brown, that's the only way I see to get brown.

• 2 weeks later...

The frustration continues.  In the picture below; my original pedal is in the center, 37 pedal on right and what Steele sells as a 36 slip on is the left.  The Steele part seems to match the 37, notice the opening is at the end angle at the bottom and too low at the top.  I'm not sure if it can be modified to work or not.

I have one more option that claims to sell a pedal for a 36, but only in Black.  Whether or not it's the correct piece of anyone's guess!

IMG_20191215_150945711.jpg

I just had a look in my Desoto book and a 797919 is for 1936 S1 Desoto Sed another book says 36 Plym P3 and 36 Dodge.

745978 (brown) is for Desoto S3 Canadian built and S5.

745979 Desoto S3 Limo, 37-38 Ply, Dodge & Chrys.

Let me know which one you are after, I may have a 797919 but it is black.

Pete, I don't actually have one to photograph but I would expect that it's very similar to the one in Vette-kid's photo. I I'd like to see a good photo too.I was hoping that you might have an extra one! Did you get my PM from the other day?

15 hours ago, wangwilko said:

I just had a look in my Desoto book and a 797919 is for 1936 S1 Desoto Sed another book says 36 Plym P3 and 36 Dodge.

745978 (brown) is for Desoto S3 Canadian built and S5.

745979 Desoto S3 Limo, 37-38 Ply, Dodge & Chrys.

Let me know which one you are after, I may have a 797919 but it is black.

36 P3???

Well that's interesting.  Does it have the number stamped on it somewhere?  If that's 797919, it certainly does not match mine and would not fit the P2.  The top one may, but not sure there is any angle on it.  How is it that the listed part number is clearly different than the original?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:44 AM, 36 D2 Coupe said:

I just spoke with the storekeeper at the Airflow Club of America. He says they have the moulds to make accelerator pedals for the Airflows and my parts book says these fit all '34 MoPars, all '35 Airflows and '36 Plymouth and Dodge D3 and D4 except Conv Cpe. They also fit '36 D2 Coupes and '36 DeSoto and Chrysler Coupes. This covers my D2 Coupe and I am going to order one (they come in black or brown) to see what it looks like. If it is close in configuration to the ones you need for a sedan this may be helpful. The repros they make have a steel core. The moulds were made many years ago and my recollection is that the results look very nice. I'll let you know when I get one about quality and dimensions. Price is reasonable and I'm sure the Airflow Club would be happy to sell some if they will work.  

I just received the brown accelerator pedal I ordered from the Airflow Club of America. Brown darker than the poor pasty thing that's being sold as a replacement but not as dark as the original. Now for the size; Original - 8 3/4" x 2"

Replacement - 10" x 2 1/4 "      

Both - full steel cores, heel pin mount correct.

Placement of accelerator rod socket identical. ( Center of socket to back of heel mount - 8")

The extra length is at the upper end beyond the rod socket. Pattern on the face looks like the incorrect repro instead of the original but I think it would be acceptable as it's a correct MoPar pattern.

If this will not bind on the firewall, I think we have a winner. Update - I checked and it will do!

These are available from ACA for $25.00 each (brown or black) plus shipping. (I don't know how many they have in stock - Price would likely go up if they have to get more made)

Edited by 36 D2 Coupe (see edit history)

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:33 PM, vette-kid said:

Ah come on, this was from a running, driving P2!  It's killing me not being able to find the replacement.  Here is a 37 pedal, or listed as one anyway.  The angle is off, but I'm hoping I can make it work.  No one sells a brown pedal for a 36 it seems.

Notice the color difference from the shift boot.  Thought that was odd.

1123191810.jpg

1123191811.jpg

1123191838.jpg

Face of the ACA pedal looks like this. Colour is lighter than the boot above and darker than the pale pedal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had been contemplating casting a new pedal as I haven't been able to find one either. I have a new pedal, although the front face has some defects, that would make a good pattern but I'm not sure how to cast the core in it. The sockets for the rod and balls would have to be repositioned  to fit. Going to have to cast the steering column rubber seal at the firewall since no one makes the correct one. Still keeping a lookout for the pedals.

10 hours ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

I'm happy with the repro gas pedal I got from the Airflow Club of America. Dimensions as I set out above. The price is right and it fits properly. Cheaper than trying to create one from scratch. $25.00 + shipping.

Problem is that one does not match the pattern for ours.  I still don't know how to account for that.

12 hours ago, jpage said:

I had been contemplating casting a new pedal as I haven't been able to find one either. I have a new pedal, although the front face has some defects, that would make a good pattern but I'm not sure how to cast the core in it. The sockets for the rod and balls would have to be repositioned  to fit. Going to have to cast the steering column rubber seal at the firewall since no one makes the correct one. Still keeping a lookout for the pedals.

I had to cast that as well.  Let me know if you go that route.  I made a mold with a 3d printer and poured the rubber.  I don't see a way to do the pedal though.

IMG_20191105_133242556.jpg

IMG_20190927_063212740.jpg

Boy, that came out pretty nice. what brand and type of material did you use for casting. I've looked at several but they are way too expensive to do the running board mats! I made new kick panels and the firewall pad for my Dodge also. Came out good and look like the originals! Actually sold a set to Uptown Dodge for his '36. I wonder if the Dodge and Plymouth firewall pads are the same, or they must be close.

I'll double check when I get home.  I can't remember right now.  I do remember I had to add brown and white pigment for the color and the plastic model needed to be scuffed up a bit, then sealed with clear.  If you don't scuff it the river will come out shiny and if you don't seal the model the rubber won't cure (some interaction with the primer I used on the model and the liquid rubber).

I definitely need a new firewall pad and kick panels.