jpage

'36 Dodge gas pedal question

And just to clarify, Steele lists the same part number for 36 and 37, so there's would surely have the same problem.  

Rather than damaging the pedal by modifying a hole what about rotating the bracket or whatever those holes press onto? I expect it will fall off all the time if you modify it as you suggest. Mine did.

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Rather than damaging the pedal by modifying a hole what about rotating the bracket or whatever those holes press onto? I expect it will fall off all the time if you modify it as you suggest. Mine did.

Well mostly because I don't want to do anything permanent to the car.  My proposed solution is temporary until we can find the correct part.  This is a running and driving car, if love to get the floor back together and drive it!

11 hours ago, vette-kid said:

Well mostly because I don't want to do anything permanent to the car

Sure. I don't know how yours mounts. Mine mounts on a plate screwed to the wooden floor board. I made up a new plate to mount the modified system on.

14 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Sure. I don't know how yours mounts. Mine mounts on a plate screwed to the wooden floor board. I made up a new plate to mount the modified system on.

That would be easier.  The toe board on the P2 is steel and the pegs the accelerator pedal mounts on are bolted to that.  The only way to adjust the mounts would be to drill new holes and relocate them.  Which I suppose it's doable, but would require modifying a piece I hadn't seen available rather than a $45  pedal.  

The pins are actually riveted to the toeboard and they could be relocated.  Threaded pins can be purchased for replacement. For me though, I'd have to repaint the board, which I'd rather not do. The other issue is that the plug on the top of the pedal to receive the throttle control rod is too high and the way the lower mounts are it's too far to the right to fit. There's a large hole in the board for the throttle rod seal, so in the hole would have to be moved, which would mean a lot of work or the pedal throttle mount will have to also be relocated.

I just spoke with the storekeeper at the Airflow Club of America. He says they have the moulds to make accelerator pedals for the Airflows and my parts book says these fit all '34 MoPars, all '35 Airflows and '36 Plymouth and Dodge D3 and D4 except Conv Cpe. They also fit '36 D2 Coupes and '36 DeSoto and Chrysler Coupes. This covers my D2 Coupe and I am going to order one (they come in black or brown) to see what it looks like. If it is close in configuration to the ones you need for a sedan this may be helpful. The repros they make have a steel core. The moulds were made many years ago and my recollection is that the results look very nice. I'll let you know when I get one about quality and dimensions. Price is reasonable and I'm sure the Airflow Club would be happy to sell some if they will work.  

• Like 1

Please let us know how it goes.  If the price truly is reasonable I would indeed be interested in one.  The Steele price is a bit much considering it's a slip over and likely not correct.

FWIW here are a few pics of the pedal that I mentioned in an earlier post.  It's in decent condition.  Certainly useable.  I wonder why there are so many part numbers for such a simple part and if those parts are interchangeable (non-coupe parts, that is)?

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

That's interesting Pete. the top side looks like mine (except mine is brown) but the position of the button that receives the accelerator rod is different. Yours is maybe an inch or so from the end while mine is right at the end. This may be the difference between pedals for coupes and sedans. Thanks for the pictures.

Notice the bottom mount in Pete's photo is almost straight across, the one on mine is at about a 20 Degree angle and the top connection is higher too.

Yes you are right jpage. You are of course describing the repro units we both have. The bottom mount on my original looks just like Pete's except that mine's in rougher shape. The position of top connection on the repro unit falls between Pete's sedan original and my coupe original so it really doesn't work well for either one. The angled bottom mount just won't work either.

We'll see what I get when the unit from the Airflow Club arrives in a couple of weeks or so. Hope we can find a solution for everyone.

Just thinking about it, perhaps since the Airflow guys have a set of moulds, maybe it would not be that hard to reposition the top connection to do sedans if that is all that's needed. All speculative but ??????

Remember guys, I'm not sure whether the pedal I posted pics of is from the P1 parts car or my D2.  I need to head back to the Dodge Garage and do some digging around to see if I have another pedal.

Looking at some pics of my D2 interior I *suspect* that the pictured pedal is from the P1.  Looking at the shop of my D2 below it seems as though the extreme RH edge of the accelerator pedal is worn and I don't see that on the pedal I've posted pictures of.

pedals.JPG

23 hours ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

Yours is maybe an inch or so from the end while mine is right at the end.

Almost looks like that button could be moved to the end.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Almost looks like that button could be moved to the end.

Probably the same core, but the rubber is bonded there, so not really moveable.

Ok, I may have some useful information.  Spoke with Sonia at Steele.  There part is indeed a slip over piece and you are meant to reuse your mounting holes from the back.  So that explains the part number being the same from year to year with them, the core of the same size.  If you look at the pictures here you can see it's just relocated mounting locations and if bet there actual pedal dimensions are the same.

So if the back of yours is ok, you can use the steel part.  Unfortunately, she said they aren't taking new orders for vulcanizing, they are backed by over a year and sounds like they don't want anymore, plus they don't have a mold to recreate the back of ours.  So that's a no-go.

I plan to call bernbaum tomorrow about theirs.  If it's a full pedal, you could buy that one and use the slipover from Steele to get brown (expensive).  

The jury is still out on whether the accelerator pedal I found is from my D2 or from the P1 parts car.  I'm now leaning towards D2 because I haven't found another accelerator pedal in the boxes of P1 parts.  I did find brake/clutch pedal pads and a starter rod/pad from the P1 though.

If anyone is interested I took some closeups of the gearshift lever boot and the parking brake lever boot from my D2.  Those parts are in about the same condition and the accelerator pedal having readable part numbers.  I can post those pics in this thread or start a new one (or two) where we share info on those parts.  LMK.

Pete, that's a tough call.  If say there is a chance whichever it came from, that's is not the original and possibly not correct for either.  From what I can tell, the P2 and D2 pedal are the same, top hole all the way at tip and bottom two at a 15-20 deg angle.  So I don't think that is a D2 pedal (just my opinion).  Having said that, I can't see why they would use a different toe board on the P1 since the car is nearly identical except for trim.  Perhaps there is a difference for the couple and sedan or convertible that we are missing?

An eBay seller and bernbaum both seem complete pedals that I believe are correct for a P2.  Black only.  We could use that and the Steele cover to get brown, that's the only way I see to get brown.