'36 Dodge gas pedal question

jpage

I have what looks to be an OEM gas pedal that I thought, at least what I was told, was for a '36 Dodge but it doesn't fit. It has a part number cast on it of 745978. My March '36 parts book shows number 495993 for the gas pedal. I also have a '36-'42 Dodge interchange book that claims the pedal number is 797919. Does anyone know what the 745978 pedal fits as that number does not show up in the interchange book or parts book. Does anyone have a good pedal for the '36 Dodge? Thanks for any help!

My general Mopar parts books says all 35-36 accelerator pedals are 797919 (brown)

My 36-42 Dodge master parts book has 797919 except for coupes 451964

745978 is not listed in either of those books

However My part number supersedence book printed in 1947 says 745798 was superseded by 745979 which is used on 1937-38 Dodges 

and 495993 was superseded by 797919

Looks like 797919 is the pedal you need.

Thanks hwellens! Can't have enough books!  Now I have to find someone who needs a '37-'38 pedal and find that elusive '36 part. Only differences is that the '37 pedal is angled further to the right and the mount for the throttle is a little higher than the '36.

Interesting info - I have a coupe and was puzzled as to why the original gear shift boot assembly doesn't match anything offered by repro companies. It follows that the gas pedal won't match either. explaining the separate part number for coupes. The stuff we learn!!!

Thanks hwellens!

1 hour ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

Interesting info - I have a coupe and was puzzled as to why the original gear shift boot assembly doesn't match anything offered by repro companies. It follows that the gas pedal won't match either. explaining the separate part number for coupes. The stuff we learn!!!

Thanks hwellens!

You are correct Gearshift boot for all D2 is 719241 except coupes which is 719243

Hand brake lever pad is also different for coupes.

I was at The Dodge Garage this morning and grabbed the accelerator pedal that I knew was laying on the running board.  Problem is I don't know if it is the one from my D2 or from the P1 touring sedan parts car.
As usual additional info only adds to the confusion.
My pedal, which is black, is marked as follows:
DUFFY MFG CO HOLLAND MICH
PART 495993 BLACK - 720834 BROWN

33 minutes ago, Pete in PA said:

I was at The Dodge Garage this morning and grabbed the accelerator pedal that I knew was laying on the running board.  Problem is I don't know if it is the one from my D2 or from the P1 touring sedan parts car.
As usual additional info only adds to the confusion.
My pedal, which is black, is marked as follows:
DUFFY MFG CO HOLLAND MICH
PART 495993 BLACK - 720834 BROWN

This was the number (495993) used in the first part of this link above that fits the D2; except coupes

Based on my supersedence book for part number 495993 it says use 797919

It looks like the replacement pedal was not offered in two colors since both black and brown numbers say use part number 797919

I don't believe there are any legible party numbers on my P2, but here are some pics for reference if it helps any.  Not sure if the P2 would be the same as the D2 in this regard.  I just ordered a pedal for a 37 because what the seller offered looks identical to mine and no one else has a listing in brown.  I'll pay that when I get it if it's of any help to you 

Ah come on, this was from a running, driving P2!  It's killing me not being able to find the replacement.  Here is a 37 pedal, or listed as one anyway.  The angle is off, but I'm hoping I can make it work.  No one sells a brown pedal for a 36 it seems.

Notice the color difference from the shift boot.  Thought that was odd.

1123191810.jpg

1123191811.jpg

1123191838.jpg

10 hours ago, vette-kid said:

Ah come on, this was from a running, driving P2!  It's killing me not being able to find the replacement.  Here is a 37 pedal, or listed as one anyway.  The angle is off, but I'm hoping I can make it work.  No one sells a brown pedal for a 36 it seems.

Notice the color difference from the shift boot.  Thought that was odd.

1123191810.jpg

1123191811.jpg

1123191838.jpg

That's the problem I have here. all the numbers point to 745978 as the correct pedal fr'36-'38 but it doesn't fit. The angle is way off and so it the top button receiver I don't know how you'd go about changing it as it's all cast as 1 piece. Who did you purchase the pedal from?

14 minutes ago, jpage said:

That's the problem I have here. all the numbers point to 745978 as the correct pedal fr'36-'38 but it doesn't fit. The angle is way off and so it the top button receiver I don't know how you'd go about changing it as it's all cast as 1 piece. Who did you purchase the pedal from?

Mopar-direct on eBay.  Steele sells one at a premium price and slip on only, not the full pedal.  I'm not 100% positive it would fir any better though.  This was$45.

Ok here we go!

I was able to read the part number on my very poor "36 Dodge D2 Coupe gas pedal. Part No. 451964 Black 720833 Brown.

Now, going to my parts books, first Dodge Passenger Car Parts List 1936 Model Series issued March 16, 1936: Accelerator pedal No. 495993. No distinction among body styles.

Next, a relatively rare  Chrysler Corporation of Canada book: 1934 through 1939 ILLUSTRATED PASSENGER CAR PARTS LIST PLYMOUTH CHRYSLER DODGE DESOTO.

This one shows part no. 451964 used on ALL 1934 Chrysler products, 1935 Desoto SG Airflow and C1,C2 and C3 Chrysler Airflows, 1936 P1,P2,D3 and D4 Plymouth and Dodge EXCEPT Convertible Coupes  and 1936 D2, S1, C7 and C8 Dodge, Desoto and Chrysler Coupes.

Part no.495993/797919 appears on all 1935 PJ, DU,DV, SF Plymouth , Dodge and DeSoto, and on1936 D2, S1, C7, C8 Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler Sedans and 1936 P1, D2 and D4 Convertible Coupes.   

So this opens up your search options a bit.  I find that the Airflow Club of America claims to have repro gas pedals in both black and brown and I shall check out prices and availability. Not sure if Steele has the earlier years covered or not.

I have one of those 745978 repros available if anyone can use one.

3 hours ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

I have one of those 745978 repros available if anyone can use one.

Hwellens says this number crosses to 745979. In my parts book 745979 is listed for all 1937 Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler except C17 Airflow. All 1938 Chrysler products use it as well. Maybe we can find a new home for these.

This really doesn't help you jpage but I'll keep looking.

•  

Ok u think I need some clarification.  @jpage, you say 945978 doesn't fit but that cross reference to the is numbers listed by @36 D2 Coupe.  So I'm let to believe that all those will not fit either??  So we are still no closer to finding the right part???  Does anyone have an original that's in good enough condition to send to Steele?  I may try, the holes are still acceptable (ish), so maybe they can measure and make a pattern for us.

2 hours ago, jpage said:

I'm thinking that the number we need is 797919, if we can find any!

I think I will reach out to Steele about it.  I took a look at the pedal I have, it's marked 945978 and 945979 both.  As you pointed out, the angle is off (so is the color).   I think it can be made to work by elongating one of the lower holes.  It's not perfect, mind you.  But it is a solution.  

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Rather than damaging the pedal by modifying a hole what about rotating the bracket or whatever those holes press onto? I expect it will fall off all the time if you modify it as you suggest. Mine did.

Well mostly because I don't want to do anything permanent to the car.  My proposed solution is temporary until we can find the correct part.  This is a running and driving car, if love to get the floor back together and drive it!

14 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

Sure. I don't know how yours mounts. Mine mounts on a plate screwed to the wooden floor board. I made up a new plate to mount the modified system on.

That would be easier.  The toe board on the P2 is steel and the pegs the accelerator pedal mounts on are bolted to that.  The only way to adjust the mounts would be to drill new holes and relocate them.  Which I suppose it's doable, but would require modifying a piece I hadn't seen available rather than a $45  pedal.  

The pins are actually riveted to the toeboard and they could be relocated.  Threaded pins can be purchased for replacement. For me though, I'd have to repaint the board, which I'd rather not do. The other issue is that the plug on the top of the pedal to receive the throttle control rod is too high and the way the lower mounts are it's too far to the right to fit. There's a large hole in the board for the throttle rod seal, so in the hole would have to be moved, which would mean a lot of work or the pedal throttle mount will have to also be relocated.

I just spoke with the storekeeper at the Airflow Club of America. He says they have the moulds to make accelerator pedals for the Airflows and my parts book says these fit all '34 MoPars, all '35 Airflows and '36 Plymouth and Dodge D3 and D4 except Conv Cpe. They also fit '36 D2 Coupes and '36 DeSoto and Chrysler Coupes. This covers my D2 Coupe and I am going to order one (they come in black or brown) to see what it looks like. If it is close in configuration to the ones you need for a sedan this may be helpful. The repros they make have a steel core. The moulds were made many years ago and my recollection is that the results look very nice. I'll let you know when I get one about quality and dimensions. Price is reasonable and I'm sure the Airflow Club would be happy to sell some if they will work.  

• Like 1

That's interesting Pete. the top side looks like mine (except mine is brown) but the position of the button that receives the accelerator rod is different. Yours is maybe an inch or so from the end while mine is right at the end. This may be the difference between pedals for coupes and sedans. Thanks for the pictures.

Yes you are right jpage. You are of course describing the repro units we both have. The bottom mount on my original looks just like Pete's except that mine's in rougher shape. The position of top connection on the repro unit falls between Pete's sedan original and my coupe original so it really doesn't work well for either one. The angled bottom mount just won't work either.

We'll see what I get when the unit from the Airflow Club arrives in a couple of weeks or so. Hope we can find a solution for everyone.

Just thinking about it, perhaps since the Airflow guys have a set of moulds, maybe it would not be that hard to reposition the top connection to do sedans if that is all that's needed. All speculative but ??????

Remember guys, I'm not sure whether the pedal I posted pics of is from the P1 parts car or my D2.  I need to head back to the Dodge Garage and do some digging around to see if I have another pedal.

Looking at some pics of my D2 interior I *suspect* that the pictured pedal is from the P1.  Looking at the shop of my D2 below it seems as though the extreme RH edge of the accelerator pedal is worn and I don't see that on the pedal I've posted pictures of.

pedals.JPG