30DodgePanel

Musk's Cyber Truck speed bump

Have to agree that today a hybrid makes more sense than a pure electric vehicle. Just have always thought the Prius engine was too big, should be one liter or less.

• Like 2

Benefits of AACA Membership.

7 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

One to keep an eye on...

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

A big thanks for sharing that link, very informative

Impressive! I can see the vans getting a good portion of the city commercial market. I mentioned a few pages back that I would have recommended to my old employer to purchase/lease a few of the Tesla "trucks,"  but these really would fit the needs. I just emailed the link to the guy who took over my position when I retired.

For myself personally I think they have an ugly front nose design, besides that I would seriously consider buying one for my next truck, providing if they are made in North America and built by union workers. Thirteen minutes to charge, and 500 miles out of a charge, very interesting

• Like 1

Elon Musk reveals Tesla's secretive Cyberquad electric ATV that will be available to buy alongside Cybertruck as soon as it launches 

• Tesla debut a Cyberquad at its Cybertruck unveiling last month in California 
  • Now, the firm's CEO has shared that the vehicle will be available for purchase
  • Elon Musk tweeted that the ATV will be out when the Cybertruck launches
  • Noted that the ATV was designed to work with the Cybertruck 

image.png.34cfe848d53350e665e6f1617a6839b2.png

It’s based on the Yamaha Raptor ATV.  Yamaha says it has no ties to the electric version.

On 12/7/2019 at 6:41 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

One to keep an eye on...

https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck

I had mentioned yesterday the Atlis Motor Vehicle Company to some friends of mine, for a possible investment opportunity. I saw him today and he gave me the following article from New York Newsday, he said it was in yesterday's paper. Looks like GM is breathing some life to Norwood Ohio plant. Looks like GM is going to do be producing some electric HD trucks there... Interesting read

IMG_7536.JPG

"Thirteen minutes to charge," from a 100kv line.

More news on Lordstown Motors Corp.... 

Nice looking truck btw. Has the $100 preorder option as well. 

https://lordstownmotors.com/in-the-news/

Interesting to see two startups possibly converging on the market place at the same time, makes me wonder how many more are out there..

Very interesting indeed...

Hopefully Dodge, I mean Ram, I mean Chrysler, I mean (hhhmmm) Fiat 🙄 is paying attention. Doubt it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2019 at 2:01 PM, Mark Gregory said:

I have to confess,  I'm still an old school guy who loves the smell of a two stroke Honda TRX250 in the morning while at Glamis Dunes but that is a interesting trike. 

If they can build it in the USA  create jobs and is produced in a free market without hand outs I'm all for it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John348 said:

I had mentioned yesterday the Atlis Motor Vehicle Company to some friends of mine, for a possible investment opportunity.

I looked at their website and some other sites. Just be aware that their marketing specs are extremely optimistic IMO. At this point they have yet to build a prototype. Production target for 2020 is 10 vehicles and for 2021 is 100 vehicles. According to their own info, they want to set up their own proprietary charging stations to achieve the 15 min rate. To achieve that rate on the 300 mi battery (125 kWh per their spec) requires almost a half megawatt input rate for an almost depleted battery, excluding inefficiencies. No specs on energy storage for the larger 400 and 500 mile batteries, but assuming straight scaling the rate would be almost a megawatt for the largest battery. This is a lot, pretty much requiring its own substation. An expensive approach to say the least, and not even considering if they can develop a battery to sustain that input rate. I would think that they will stick with the standard available 160 kW rate for quite a while, assuming they stay around. I imagine all of their near-term focus will be just on getting the first trucks built, let alone proprietary charging stations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Hopefully Dodge, I mean Ram, I mean Chrysler, I mean (hhhmmm) Fiat 🙄 is paying attention. Doubt it 

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Lots of “me too” EV manufactures have presented great sounding ideas for products that never made it to prototype stages.  Be careful when investing in start-ups.  Just like the early days of the gas automobile, some made it big and many more did not.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

I looked at their website and some other sites. Just be aware that their marketing specs are extremely optimistic IMO. At this point they have yet to build a prototype. Production target for 2020 is 10 vehicles and for 2021 is 100 vehicles. According to their own info, they want to set up their own proprietary charging stations to achieve the 15 min rate. To achieve that rate on the 300 mi battery (125 kWh per their spec) requires almost a half megawatt input rate for an almost depleted battery, excluding inefficiencies. No specs on energy storage for the larger 400 and 500 mile batteries, but assuming straight scaling the rate would be almost a megawatt for the largest battery. This is a lot, pretty much requiring its own substation. An expensive approach to say the least, and not even considering if they can develop a battery to sustain that input rate. I would think that they will stick with the standard available 160 kW rate for quite a while, assuming they stay around. I imagine all of their near-term focus will be just on getting the first trucks built, let alone proprietary charging stations.

5 hours ago, TerryB said:

Lots of “me too” EV manufactures have presented great sounding ideas for products that never made it to prototype stages.  Be careful when investing in start-ups.  Just like the early days of the gas automobile, some made it big and many more did not.

I appreciate the advice very much, thanks for your concern.   That's why i contacted some friends who are also members od the local region of the VCCA, that are into investing. They shared your same feelings. When you mentioned small start-up companies I can't help to think about how many auto manufacturers were around in 1910, now we are left with 2 1/2 of the original American companies (sorry my Mopar friends,  but Fiat???)  Makes one wonder how many of these will be around. 

On 12/9/2019 at 4:01 PM, Mark Gregory said:

Elon Musk reveals Tesla's secretive Cyberquad electric ATV that will be available to buy alongside Cybertruck as soon as it launches 

• Tesla debut a Cyberquad at its Cybertruck unveiling last month in California 
  • Now, the firm's CEO has shared that the vehicle will be available for purchase
  • Elon Musk tweeted that the ATV will be out when the Cybertruck launches
  • Noted that the ATV was designed to work with the Cybertruck 

All of these designs look like something from one of the Mad Maxx films....... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I remember contemplating buying stock in Tesla when it was $17 per share. At that time they were not selling any cars yet, except they had sold those original roadsters. The projection was for heavy losses, with no profit for the foreseeable future.

My boss, years ago, said intel and Microsoft were good investments, Apple not so much...

In 1981 he was right. Few remember that Apple had disasters (Apple III, Lisa).

ps both Apple and Microsoft computers are Intel based. Think the Mac was the last Motorola 68000 based.

23 minutes ago, padgett said:

In 1981 he was right. Few remember that Apple had disasters (Apple III, Lisa).

ps both Apple and Microsoft computers are Intel based. Think the Mac was the last Motorola 68000 based.

We were building our own in house test equipment using intel 8080, 8086 and discreet intel I/O chips and hovering over the finished product with those machine code cards, “C3, D2” ect.  The big breakthrough was the intel single board computer that greatly simplified our work.  Remember the intel development system you had to boot with switches on the front panel?  

Now we are wayyyy off topic!

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

My boss, years ago, said intel and Microsoft were good investments, Apple not so much...

As a kid in the mid seventies I was told to get into computers because it would "soon be the fastest growing industry" according to my counselor. I thought he was crazy and I hated the thought of working with a computer because they made me feel that I was working in an insane asylum (they were as big as cars and filled a floor at the time) so needless to say I  went a different path and have regretted it since 🙄

I will concede the fact that EV's are the future whether we like it or not, but until they correct design and efficiency issues, they will have a weak argument as they attempt to win us diesel or gas owners over. Whether that is 2-10 years off is hard to say, but I have a sense they are close to a breakthrough. Why the heads of Chrysler/Fiat have their heads in the sand on this topic is beyond me. I often wonder if they intentionally want to be rid of the Dodge Brothers and Chrysler name all together. My how John, Horace and Walter must be turning in their graves...

EV trucks are coming, there's no denying it. I only hope that it's in a free market with an equal playing field for all in both the short and long term.

When they do get the lions share of the market will the early founders be forgotten and stomped on or will the new comers pay respect to those that paved the way for them in this new automobile era? 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Let's just say I would have been a nerd if the term existed. In 1979 I was designing flight controls for afterburning aircraft using cascaded bit slice processors (AMD 2901) when I got this data book (is in the den somewhere) from Intel on their new 8086 16 bit processor (8088 came later). Was kinda fascinating since it could address a whole meg. Wow. (by 1981 the price of a meg of ram was down to $3k)

BTW to boot a PDP-8 involved flipping a lot of toggle switches to load the bootstrap into memory. Ah the days of microcode.

Still wonder if the grid can handle a lot of electric thingies.

ps last three spoke wheel I recall involved TRX tires, are they available anywhere. Prolly doesn't matter since those Mustangs all have tube chassis and Cayote motors now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Let's just say I would have been a nerd if the term existed. In 1979 I was designing flight controls for afterburning aircraft using cascaded bit slice processors (AMD 2901) when I got this data book (is in the den somewhere) from Intel on their new 8086 16 bit processor (8088 came later). Was kinda fascinating since it could address a whole meg. Wow. (by 1981 the price of a meg of ram was down to $3k)

BTW to boot a PDP-8 involved flipping a lot of toggle switches to load the bootstrap into memory. Ah the days of microcode.

Still wonder if the grid can handle a lot of electric thingies.

ps last three spoke wheel I recall involved TRX tires, are they available anywhere. Prolly doesn't matter since those Mustangs all have tube chassis and Cayote motors now...

Back in the day I was one of those "Computer Guys" that worked in the college computer lab. I worked for the Math Professor in charge of the lab.

I was one of a couple of Lab assistants that was charged with loading the boot strap into the computer (using the toggle switches) then feeding the punch paper tape (PPT) in to complete the Operating System Loading procedure. Later the PPT was replaced by an 8" Floppy Drive with it's "massive" storage capacity of 80KB but we still had to use the toggle switches to load the boot strap. BTW, this professor wrote his own operating system for that computer. Ahh the days of the old teletype terminals before the age of video terminal.

That professor got me an internship at the National Bureau of Standards (now called NIST). That was where I got to see the IBM 360 computer for the first time which took up a big part of a very large computer room. Funny how the smartphone I have now has roughly 1,500 times the amount of memory that the IBM 360 had and at under $1000 is a bargain compared to the $3.5+ million that the IBM 360 originally cost. Talk about advancing technology.

And if cars had followed the same path you would have a 1,000 hp one for each foot.

I remember the mod for a TTY to go from 66wpm to 100. And the joy when Mylar replaced paper tape. Was in the last class the AF taught vacuum tubes...

On 11/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, auburnseeker said:

Why do you need armored glass?  Is he expecting to sell a bunch of them to the Taliban?  I could see a chip/ crack proof Windshield,  that would be nice,  but beyond that not sure the reasoning unless they are afraid all us oil burners will go Mad Max on them? 

There a lot of businessmen and businesswomen around the world that buy armor plated and/or bullet proof glass vehicles.  Also a common upgrade for the well heeled as well.

Welcome to the '30s.

• Haha 1