1949 kaiser

nick8086

An AMC 287 cu. in. would be as close to the size of the ohv V8 Kaiser was developing at the time, by the same engineers, Potter and Bullard who later reputedly did so for American Motors.   

If the motivation is that V8 power will make it more saleable, that's unlikely.  Too powerful an engine will quickly expose the steering and brakes are not adequate to the job when driven beyond their capabilities.    If more power is desirable, how about fitting a supercharger from a '54 Manhattan.  Its the type of thing people would have done then, could even have been done at the Kaiser dealer.   1949-'50 Kaiser Virginians are rare and unique cars, please consider carefully before doing any drastic modifications. 

Edited by 58L-Y8
Further perspectives (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John348 said:

I know that this might be a dumb question but what is wrong with the engine that is in it now?  I always admired the looks of that car, and the color gray is stunning on it.

Agreed, not sure an engine transplant would change things.  A good detailed ad, a realistic market price and maybe even an auction consignment might all be options.  I am not claiming the price posted is wrong but if you are not getting any action something needs to be adjusted to make it sell.

21 minutes ago, TerryB said:

Agreed, not sure an engine transplant would change things.  A good detailed ad, a realistic market price and maybe even an auction consignment might all be options.  I am not claiming the price posted is wrong but if you are not getting any action something needs to be adjusted to make it sell.

I must agree, I was trying to sell my Cosworth Vega for about 2 years. I decided to take it to Hershey and a good friend of mine said the same thing to me. I did sell the car, but also listened to his advice.

" if you want to sell then be prepared to take 20% less then you think it is worth"

I did and the car was sold.

Nicks your car is a great looking car, but have realize that there is a very narrow and special audience.  I have no idea of value of that car but if you place it in an auction your giving up 10% commission, transportation of the vehicle and other expenses. 

By putting in another engine you are only going to increase your expenses without knowing if it will increase your selling price. I agree with Terry's observations 100% 

10 minutes ago, John348 said:

By putting in another engine you are only going to increase your expenses without knowing if it will increase your selling price. I agree with Terry's observations 100% 

Nick,  I concur with John.  The car in the photo is beautiful.  I would not change a thing.  Let a new owner put a V-8 in it on their nickel.  Like selling a house (mobile home to keep it vehicle related, Bob😀).  A realtor will say never paint the interior to sell it as the new owner will probably repaint it and no financial gain to you.

In what museum is it on static display?  Really nice looking car.

Peter J.

10 hours ago, John348 said:

I know that this might be a dumb question but what is wrong with the engine that is in it now?  I always admired the looks of that car, and the color gray is stunning on it.

Nothing wrong with the motor in the car..

just may do this..

A “restomod” job is defined as a vehicle that has been put back together with the addition of new modern or aftermarket parts that were not on the vehicle when it came from the factory.

57 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

V8 will make it less valuable and less saleable than a stock engine. What are you trying to accomplish? If you want to sell it just sell it. If you can't find a buyer either you are not advertising or your price is too high. Have you had any offers?

I had offers.. I was 200.00 to high..

3 minutes ago, nick8086 said:

I was 200.00 to high.

$200 too high? That 2% made a deal fall through? Of course I could say that about the seller AND the prospective buyer!

I hope that is a misprint.

• Like 2

I hate to see someone ruin a historic vehicle just to try to make a few more dollars. What makes it so very much worse is that nine times out of ten, the "value" (?) of the car is not increased by anywhere near the cost of the upgrades! 

Like Peter J H said. Just like selling a home. It is pointless to spend $10,000 to renovate a kitchen before selling, because the probability is that the prospective buyer will want it different anyway! I have known way too many people that have gone down that path, with both cars and real estate, and never known anyone to make a few extra dollars doing so.

I haven't seen your ads, and I don't know what you were asking. But making it so that no real collector would touch it with a ten foot pole is not the answer. 

I could tell stories of a dozen different cars.

• Thanks 1

Putting in a V8 would REDUCE the value.

Case in point. A few years ago I saw an ad for a 1956 Packard with a Buick engine. I offered $2500. The seller was indignant. He figured the car was worth $8000. He reasoned this way. He paid $3500 for the car and then spent $4500 having the Buick engine installed, and $3500 + $4500 = $8000.

Mathematically correct, I couldn't argue with his logic. He ended up putting it on Ebay. Top bid, $2200. In other words he spent $4500 to reduce the value of the car by $1300.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 1:51 PM, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Nick,  I concur with John.  The car in the photo is beautiful.  I would not change a thing.  Let a new owner put a V-8 in it on their nickel.  Like selling a house (mobile home to keep it vehicle related, Bob😀).  A realtor will say never paint the interior to sell it as the new owner will probably repaint it and no financial gain to you.

In what museum is it on static display?  Really nice looking car.

Peter J.

It is in Nebraska..

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_5721.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

49b.jpg

I've seen that car on the eastern Nebraska Craigslist, I believe. It is a beautiful car, I've looked at the ad many times (if it's the same one), but I'm not a Kaiser person.

I don't specifically remember the photos from the CL ad, but the pictures you've posted here in the context of that museum-like setting look very classy and appealing. Have you posted photos like that in your sales ad?

Best wishes.

I have read this post and I am confused about the strategy. I also know the Kaiser engine and transmission history.

You have a really nice car; maybe I am missing something, I don't know.

By putting any V-8 in a 1949 Kaiser; is certainly going to change the balance of the car.  When I say balance, I am using a broad term.  The Engine change would alter the car, and it would be a  modified.  In some shows it would have to be put in a modified class.

The picture of the car, you referenced, in Hemmings; is a modified car.  Not only has the engine been changed; but it surely looks more modern, by the way it sets.  So probably, brakes, suspension, and other systems were altered.  If you are looking to be classified as modified, sure do the change.

Oh sure we have built street rods, and many other types of cars, for our own use and customers; but they ended up with a modified car.  I guess, I saying your car is too nice to go through that.

Then selling it, as a modified all the "original", buyers would be turned off. 

Maybe do a bit more research before; jumping off the edge.

intimeold       

• Like 2

Wait to see if this highly modified street rod sells, and at what price before making a decision.😉

I'm trying to follow the logic here. You want to sell your 49 Kaiser but the best offer was $200 less than you are willing to take. So your next move will be to spend $5000 installing a V8 hoping it will increase the value by $5200 and you will be able to get your price?

You could save a lot of money, time and grief by calling the guy who made the offer and telling him if he comes up $200 on the price you will stick $200 bucks in the glove compartment. That way you will both be happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nick8086 said:

It is in Nebraska..

Confusing, Nick.  Is the car in question actually yours or just a representative photo?  I had asked in what museum is it on display and to say "It is in Nebraska" does not really help us.  

5 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Confusing, Nick.  Is the car in question actually yours or just a representative photo?  I had asked in what museum is it on display and to say "It is in Nebraska" does not really help us.  

I have own this car since 1992..

nick49.thumb.JPG.b26ea8bc4b8a4ccb82118f4661286906 - Copy.JPG

BTW, who is Chris? I am referencing the ad in the recent AACA magazine, Antique Automobile.