Cavalcade of Cars, Lake George NY

Billy Kingsley

Does anyone have photos of this long-gone car museum, that was located at Gaslight Village in Lake George, NY? (Gaslight Village used to be where the Hemmings Concours is now held) I don't know exactly when it closed, but late 80s would be my guess. I have a few, very vague memories of visiting it with my family when I was very young. 

This is me there in 1988.

198813688-vi.jpg

This is the only straight up car shot I have from there, which we have labeled as 1989. 

198911985-vi.jpg

Besides photos, does anyone know where the cars went after it closed? I have heard that Harrah's bought some but the person I heard it from wasn't sure. Thanks. 

Well, that would certainly explain the unsureness of the person who said that! 

I spoke with my mom about it and she remembers that there was at least one Duesenberg there, she believes it was once Greta Garbo's, and that the ship diorama from Tora, Tora, Tora was also there. No pictures of either, though. 

The amusement park was called Gaslight Village and was owned by Charles Wood. And yes, the Garbo Duesenberg was there along with many other antique cars.

You are right about the info.  I have some pictures I think somewhere but a few original Pieces of advertising of the area I'll upload shortly.  I collect stuff from the Hey day of the area.  Charlie wood also owned a club across the Street from Gaslight village I think called Charlie Woods.  They dozed it to make a Nature park, now pretty overgrown so you can't see much of anything they planted to give you a natural experience.  Now it feels like walking through a tick trail.   Must be they thought they needed another nature park , next to the state battlefield park, at the bottom of the over 6 million acre Adirondack state Park.  I think politicians just like wasting money. 

Many locals really wanted the town to save some of the buildings from Gaslight village and incorporate , repurpose them into the new park,  such as the Cavalcade of cars and Opera house, but they said it was too costly,  as the cavalcade of cars needed a new roof quoted around a million dollars I believe,  when one of the Board members said it's a crock being a contractor knew the roof could have been done for under 150G. 

There is some bad blood between Charlie wood and certain members of local Gov't and I think they wanted to erase anything connected to him,  in anything other than name sake.  I can only imagine the money it has cost to build  the park they built.  Yes it looks nice,  but It would probably scare most of us. 

If you gave me a blank check,  I could make alot of things look spectacular. 

I wish it was still Gas light village.   

They did have other models as well used in movies but I can't recall them all. 

Photos to follow soon. 

I'll have to look and see if I have any pictures. My grandparents took me there in the mid '70s. I remember the V8 car and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I know there are photos from that trip (Gaslight Village, Santa's Workshop, High Falls Gorge, Whiteface Mountain), but not sure if they include the car museum.

What are the "Gay 90's"? This is the second time I've seen that phrase used, the other was another unrelated period piece from the 60's/70's... was there some kind of fascination with the 1890's in the 60's and 70's?... Like how people reminisce about the 50's etc..? 

The "Gay '90's" was a term that came about

well before the 1950's, to describe the 1890's.

It is very widely used, just as the "Roaring '20's."

Looking back always makes things look good,

and people felt that decade--which was full of

tremendous technological advancement and

rather problem-free--was sufficiently happy and

care-free to earn that name.

Wow, great display! I remember seeing some of that. I also remember being on the top of the double decker bus and having a thunderstorm come in. I remember looking straight up and seeing lightning go overhead, and them rushing to get things put away before the rain came. It was night time so probably near closing time already. It's one of my earliest weather memories, and I've been interested in meteorology for years.

All the stuff that went down between Wood and the town happened when I was young so most of it was beyond me. I knew there was bad blood but I was not privy to the details. Remember the adults discussing it and echoing what you say about a lot of it being not right. 

• Thanks 1

I don't know the exact details but I can only imagine when you look at it from a political end going at odds with a business entity.  In the end it's always money.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with taxes.  Politicians will cut their nose off and not see the contributions of a business like that to the local economy overall and try to go after them to get a little more tax.  Usually the business walks away and then the politicians have nothing in the end.  I don't know if that's the case here but boy I could see it pretty easily knowing the town the way I do. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lahti35 said:

What are the "Gay 90's"? This is the second time I've seen that phrase used, the other was another unrelated period piece from the 60's/70's... was there some kind of fascination with the 1890's in the 60's and 70's?... Like how people reminisce about the 50's etc..? 

The 1890's had a strong nostalgic attraction to the generation that survived WWI.