Sign in to follow this  
Vintageben

Chrysler 75 Chassis help

Having a bit of a look over a Chrysler 75 that we got a few weeks back ( it’s rough but I’m happy so far with it) I notice that the front section of the Chassis on both sides has double thickness like a second Chassis rail inside the other and riveted together this extends back to the cross member that is behind the gearbox. Hope that makes sense it looks original or if not it has been done very professionally and a long time ago. What I’m wondering did it come from the factory that way or was it added later? I have very little knowledge about 75s but I’m learning more everyday hear is some photos 

43263DA5-5EA2-4BA6-ACC8-BE2A8DA2BC6E.jpeg

FAFD4B2A-D725-4E99-96F4-4E48E6572982.jpeg

Yeah no definite plans at this stage just get it running (done) get it driving and stopping and if it all looks okay probably strip it down and start the long task of restoring it. Originally it was a Roadster but I’m not sure if that’s what it will end up as or if I will leave it as a Ute or do something else with it. I’m not rushing anything and just doing some information gathering at this stage, I’m thinking it’s probably a 5 to 10 year project.

It would not be unusual for car  chassis' in that era to have stiffening at key stress points on chassis rails, such as where cross members meet,  near spring mounts, engine mounts etc. My 1931 Chrysler CD8 chassis has some.

My primary knowledge is from Series 65s, but the style of reinforcement with nails and rounded corners is exactly as it was done over the rear axle on all Series 65s. There is however no double layers at the front of the "lightweight" Series 65 though.

yes, Vintageben, it is original and often there is rust between the two chassis rails near the battery. Check this carefully, eventually cut one rail partly out a bit and weld a new peace in.

we have a 1929 chrysler 75 roadster and  restored it some years ago, and had to cut out 15 " at the lower inner rail .

1 hour ago, chrysler75 said:

yes, Vintageben, it is original and often there is rust between the two chassis rails near the battery. Check this carefully, eventually cut one rail partly out a bit and weld a new peace in.

we have a 1929 chrysler 75 roadster and  restored it some years ago, and had to cut out 15 " at the lower inner rail .

Thanks for that information and the pointers on the rust when we eventually pull it down for resto I will make a thorough inspection of it but at this stage I cannot see anything to untowards. Cheers Ben