Sign in to follow this  
abelincoln

Block Oil Flow Diagram?

Anybody have a diagram of how oil flow works in the V-12?  Looks like the pump sends oil to filter, rear main, and to lifter gallery.  In the valley, I put the 1/8 pipe plug in the rear regulator, and drilled a 1/16" hole in the bottom of the front regulator to accommodate solid, adjustable lifters.  By some miracle the engine started after a looong time of re-assembly, but was shut off due to excessive mechanical noise.  So I took off the intake manifold  to re-adjust the loose valves   Problem was that re-ground camshaft has lifters lower in the boss in the block, and you have to lift valve and spring assembly to adjust.

Anyway, after a few minutes of operation, I'm not seeing oil in the gallery, looks pretty dry, seems like there should be some oil present.  I'm now concerned that not enough oil is getting to the lifters.  Should I drill out the front hole bigger, or is everything OK the way it is? 

Advice to those considering similar mods:  if the cam if is reground, also grind about 1/8 off the top of the lifter bosses to make lifter adjustment easier..